Gold starved, any tips?

Hello there, so i came back to wow from wotlk to Wod. But lately it feels like I’m making gold slower in bfa than draenor. I’ve been making like 12-15 minute dungeon runs to grab 1k tank bags and raw gold from raids to make about 8-12k in a hour or two. But it feels like the gold made isn’t even ending up all stored. After a month of grinding and hunting bags and old raids i had 300k looted listed in the achieve tab, but only 70k in my inv. I heard herbalism was a good money maker, but it’s a bit disheartening to go and fight off 7 mobs on foot while another player with flying zips down and takes the herb. I’ve just been told go merch or herb, but does anyone know a good guide to get started and how to grind turtle rep?

Too bad you missed the excessive orgy of free gold that was Legion!

THOSE were the days …

1 Like

I thought that was Warlords? With the Garrison. This dude I know banked on that. He was able to buy someone broke in our guild, 6 months of tokens so she could play lol. He played that garrison mission table on all his toons.

2 Likes

You guys should should give bad news. There are not a whole lot of gold making opportunities in BFA. The auction house does not even make gold.

In the middle of Legion, some missions were netting thousands of gold each. If you ran alts, you could rake in gold.

It all got nerfed around the time Argus came out, but it was sure nice while it lasted!

Steady: Run old raids and sell everything. You can run all 4 difficulties in a week for WoD raids now and each can net upwards of 5-8k a run per difficulty. Added bonus of mogs, mounts, and the occasional pet you can sell at a high price due to rarity.

Steady: Gathering professions always have a consistent selling rate.

Unsteady: Farming for BoEs in current content. Big money but rare.

Not worth it: Crafting gear. Gear is so easy to get in BfA you can get to 400 ilvl within hours of hitting 120.

Im sure there are more ways but those are just my quickly added view points.

3 Likes

We’re about to hit the gold making cycle again with a lot of rewards for people with level 70 necks being converted to gold.

Selling cosmetic 325 armor and weapons from Islands is still fairly lucrative.

1 Like

Being an AH tycoon has worked since vanilla. It just takes work, and ramp up time. Also depends on realm economies, and what you have available to you in the game. Having multiple alts to gather materials is definitely a plus.

Maybe if Blizzard did things properly. WQs for 120g or whatever are not where the big gold would be. It would be in all the AP that rains from the skies in weekly chests, BG wins, warfront quests, weekly event quests, IE treasure maps, paragon caches.

It’s too bad none of that was converted to gold in Blizzard’s latest round of “what to do when your neck is 70 months before the next patch” fixes.

Weekly islands are being converted to 2k gold and the paragon caches already drop 4-5k. I would hope the ap from treasure map missions would change to the gold mission. I would consider that a bit of a bug if it didn’t happen.

If you don’t mind a 8-10 week investment, I would take 3-4 plate toons and clear ICC every week for shadowmournes. The items you get are worth about 500k per character depending on server of course. So if you have 4 plate toons over level 110 you can make about 2 million gold after a couple months.

Try farming with class that has a aoe stun. That way you can stun anything that attacks you and fight them after you farmed the node.

Two weeks back to back my treasure mission has been 2000 AP with bonus 5000g. Unfortunately the “elite mission” and reduced chances of success both weeks have only given me 100% for the AP meaning 0% chance for the gold.

I don’t know if it’s a bug or if each mission had to be manually converted to gold instead of it being automated, but that’s beside the point. IE weekly gets converted to gold, but

• the 3.6k + from a weekly grand bounty chest? Nothing.
  • the 3k + from weekly PVP chest? Nothing.
  • the 900ap per raid boss? Nothing.
  • the AP rewards on all the once-weekly or once-cycle quests (warfront, weekly event)? Nothing.
  • the extra AP from paragon caches? Nothing.
  • the 600ap added to non-AP emissaries? Nothing.

Had all these things been converted to gold, then it would be lucrative for players who have reached 70 on their necks. But Blizzard only went for the least common denominator, as usual.

To be fair they don’t want the gap between the people who have level 70 necks and those who don’t to become too huge. What might be seen as lucrative for well advanced players might become economy destroying for people who haven’t reached that level yet. But it will certainly help, particularly those with a few alts that are all closing in on 70 now.

That was nothing compared to WOD gold. I’m still running on it.

i made 100k in less than a month just by doing daily’s and getting paragon chests.

1 Like

Players with 10+ alts funneling all their gathered mats to 1 AH character, and making millions of gold per month are the other extreme (as opposed to players who hit 70) and Blizzard doesn’t seem to have a problem with them, as they’ve existed since the early days of the game.

Buy tokens. Its the only profitable way of making gold in game if you have an actual job. Profitable in terms of gold/hour working.

I earn 10k gold by doing this one simple trick. Click to find out more.

And I’m offering a major discount on air duct cleaning.

The difference i see with that is mats being pumped into the economy ends up lowering the price for people who don’t want to farm. This could be considered a positive even if the people doing it become whales. A large number of people getting too much extra gold for doing nothing other than playing the game as they always have ends up bumping up the asset prices and not adding anything remotely positive. It just pushes items further out of reach of people who aren’t included in the gold raining from the heavens.

I had three great gold binges, one when glyphs were introduced and I had the only fireball glyph on my server for over a week, the WoD garrisons, followed by Legion mission tables and multiple rogue quests a week. I love them when I can take advantage of them but it would be a nightmare to try to manage from an economic point of view.

I still get most of my gold atm from old raid farming, Island cosmetics and paragon caches I guess.

WOD’s gold making was broken OP.
BFA was the expansion that started taking Gold out of the economy. That said, in the beginning of the expansion and some patches you can still make some crazy Gold. It’s just going to be less lazy and more attention to what you are doing, setting up TSM etc and checking TUJ once in a while for some steals.

There is no magic secret - just a matter of knowing your market and either working harder, relisting more often or less, dependent on competition… perhaps seeing if a profession can be profitable on your server… learning about the enchanting shuffle, tailoring shuffle etc, which requires marks of honor and perhaps an extra character.

Just gotta do some research and apply what you learn to better yourself at Goldmaking.

People like Hikons take in MILLIONS a month from many server-alts and few mains that have professions maxed. So it’s not impossible.

I’ve been doing well on an alliance US server purely on shuffling veiled crystals cheap and reselling them much higher, and other enchants. Unfortunately so many professions and cooking prices have drastically fallen. Expect 8.3 to bring it back up a bit.