Going to Need a Bigger Scuttler's Shell

After all the years that have passed since Timewaste Isle was introduced to the game back in Mists, I’m finally four items away from getting the “Going to Need a Bigger Bag” achievement. One of those last items is the crab pet, dropped by Monstrous Spineclaw.

I haven’t passed up chances to kill that rare when I’ve seen it before, but I’m at a point where I have to go out of my way to make it spawn if I’m ever going to get that pet. So for the past few days as I’ve made my rounds on the island, I’ve killed the group of spineclaws north of the horde section of the beach, as many players have recommended, until one of the respawns comes up as the rare.

Last night it took the better part of an hour, and at least five or six rounds of spineclaws, before the rare appeared. After the first couple of groups, I looted a Scuttler’s Shell, which is also required for the achievement, but which I had already looted a long time ago. Then I looted another, and another. Seven Scuttler’s Shells later, the rare finally spawned, right before I was about to give up and call it a night. And the Monstrous Spineclaw’s loot included… a Scuttler’s Shell.

Tonight, while doing my routine on the island again, I had better luck at getting the rare to spawn, killing only three sets of the smaller spineclaws before Monstrous Spineclaw appeared again. And once more it dropped a Scuttler’s Shell. It was then that I learned you can only carry ten of these items in your inventory at a time, so I wasn’t allowed to loot it. Instead of deleting my others, I decided to just leave.

After using my hearthstone, I went to the mailbox, and found that the postmaster was kind enough to send the Scuttler’s Shell I hadn’t bothered to loot.

I hate this achievement so much.

Dear rares: if you just drop those pieces of loot we’re after, we’ll stop killing you at every opportunity. Deal?

2 Likes

A scuttler shell made it to the water!

1 Like

The cycle of loot can be cruel.

3 Likes

I used the hozen swabby helm and circled the island clockwise, killing all the crabs, and making a trip through the Jade Spirit cave on the way back around. When I got back to the west coast, the first few would be respawned.

It’s a very rare pet, but it’s worth it in the end.

And yeah, like Wowhead mentions (probably my comments), don’t do this farm when people are on the Timeless Isle to turn in MoP timewalking quests. They will kill the rares you force spawn while you’re nowhere near them.

I’ve been working on this achievement for about 4 years now. I only need that stupid crab pet. Been stuck on this last drop for several months. Lost count of how many of the rare crab spawns I’ve killed, and that pet just refuses to drop. Silly me, I thought Huolon was going to be the source of RNG torture when I started this fool’s errand.

Blizzard, please do not put anymore life wasting meta achieves with soul crushing RNG factors like Bigger Bag and Mechadone in the game ever again. These kinds of things are simply unhealthy especially for people like me with OCD that are compelled to try and finish them.

2 Likes