Go ahead and kill rag week 1!

No i mewn its literally impossible. Yes you can feasible hit 60 in that time. The world record is 4 days 20 hours played time. With restes xp. Total time 7 days

However the gear grind to be able to even get into mc is the issue. Vanilla was a lot harder on under geared players and it will take a minimum on 2 weeks just to be geared.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree. The gearing issue would be what slows them down. Not just getting their pre raid gear, but also the FR gear they’ll need.

I’m just trying to highlight why trying is rather silly.

2 Likes

You seem to be vastly overestimating leveling times and gear requirements. I also dont think a full clear is likely but its definitely possible.

There have been major improvements to speed leveling in the decade+ since people have been able to make legitimate attempts, and that record has been beaten on “blizzlike” private servers.

1 Like

I truly hope those servers are incorrect. It would be hilarious if Classic ended up being much harder than anyone was saying because private servers weren’t as accurate as people were saying.

However, is there any concrete evidence that someone was able to recreate a true vanilla server?

The private servers are extremely off on nearly everything.

Xp per level. Wrong
Quest xp. Wrong
Mob xp. Wrong.
Boss health and dmg abilities. Wrong
Loot drops. Wrong.

Fr was literally a requirement for every single raider back in vanilla. You didn’t have it. You got sat. Peroid.

6 Likes

I couldn’t care less if people want to rush to max and do MC as quickly as possible. They’re in for a surprise, because things private servers got wrong made it far easier than it was in Vanilla or will be in Classic.

But I absolutely agree the timing of the phases should not be based on the super hardcore players’ progress.

5 Likes

For the time, I was a fairly advanced player in vanilla. In classic I will be struggling to level, probably never set foot in a raid and might not even make it to 60.

However I think the spirit and allure of vanilla (and hopefully classic), is that it caters to the top end of players and gives people a target to chase and something to aspire to. This isn’t retail wow where everyone gets a participation trophy, if you are not cutting edge, you will be left behind. Each phase introduces MORE content to do, it doesn’t invalidate previous content. Its a ladder that you still need to climb through no matter which phase its on (though each rung kinda gets easier to climb)… want to do BWL? you better keep getting those onyxia scales & don’t stop farming TF’s for your tank(s).

Thats the reality of vanilla, it doesn’t move on your special snowflake schedule. This is the main reason I have been advocating for servers to move at the pace that is healthy for the server, they don’t have to advance the second a final tier boss is dead but if several guilds are farming instances ~6-8 weeks, it should definitely advance.

The dev team they have is the original crew. They have the old school mentality

1 Like

Thank you for saying this. This was my vanilla experience 100%. Yet I keep seeing people say you dont need FR. I was starting to question my memory lol.

1 Like

Impressive that you know all this since you have no way to know this since if you did have the information to know it was wrong they would have the information to use.

So just cause they dont know the values does not mean its easier, its just as likely that they errored on the side of making it tougher.

Also there were lots of things people used to do that we now know are wrong.

i plan on killing rag on day 15 of classic. and then ill just play alts until phase 2

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if blizzard puts up walls blocking off areas like they did in ICC during wrath to make sure content lasts just a little bit longer.

I’ve heard people saying different things. People are saying private servers had the armor wrong on bosses and that it’s actually higher on private servers. Some people are also saying that they massively buffed bosses on some of the popular servers.

Either way, not much longer until we find out.

It’s possible for neckbeards to down Rag in week 1. Not likely, but possible.

He def doesn’t make it to week 3.

1 Like

I started playing vanilla in Jan 2005 & I have played on several private servers.

Private servers and Classic wow emulate patch 1.12. The classic Dev’s have already dashed any hope of maintaining the difficulty and challenge of early wow and instead aim to replicate the “most polished version” of vanilla. Classic will be like starting a character in patch 1.12, i.e vanilla content in its most nerfed state.

We can all cling to the “private servers got it wrong” mantra and while it is true they are not perfect and get many things wrong or guess at certain things, I think they are closer to the mark than many of us early wow veterans recognise because we had already done the rite of passage MC/BWL early tiers and progressed into AQ/Naxx, we are unaware of just how easy MC/BWL became in the later phases of vanilla.

3 Likes

Well shucks, thanks for your candid response. Only time will tell. Either way it will be exciting to see how this plays out!

1 Like

It actually breaks my heart to see this coming from you. What the hell happened?

they just dont have a clue about how vanilla used to be.the same people that say they are going to kill rag in 6 days are the ones that will quit because they have to work for things in classic…lmao.

Well I mean the fact that it’s substantially much easier to do pretty much everything on a pserver and add knowing alot of their work is guesswork… I would guess that it’s tuned on the easier side.

I can understand having an easier time but to completely decimate the content and right from the beginning be able to ignore certain raid mechanics (resistances) it just doesn’t make sense

Let’s assume you’re right and that the world record pace is feasible for a wide range of people. Did any of these speed levelers do it together? Speed levelers, by definition, go faster than everyone else and level in empty zones. But for this to work you’d need dozens of speed levelers going together… At faster than world record pace…