Global cooldown removed for DoTs?

Would it be such a terrible thing if the global cooldown was removed for our insta dots: agony, corruption, and siphon life?

I’d love to make a swifty macro combining the three. Yes, I know I can use my mouse to “cheat” and macro them together against the ToS policy. But I’d like to know if it would be such a problem with gaming balance if they just took the global cooldown off those so there is less button bloat on the keyboard?

2 Likes

Yes.

But they could substantially reduce the GCD for our main dots to help us out.

How would it be terrible? We are talking about DOTS that don’t do a ton of up front damage. Getting all three up with a simple swifty macro wouldn’t dramatically increase our dps. It would free up 2 extra buttons I could use for something else. And in some cases it wouldn’t be ideal to use all three in a single macro because they all have different expiration timers.

No, that would absolutely insane.

In arena you could set up a macro to dot everyone at once with one button.

/Cast dots on arena target 1, arena target 2, arena target 3

You could spam it. You also include dots in every single spell.

You could have a mouse over macro for your dots and just constantly dot everything without thinking.

4 Likes

What would actually be of great help would be allowing UA to be casted on multiple target.

That has got to be the single worst class design change ever.

1 Like

UA single target restriction could be removed and affliction would still be balanced in all pillars of content. I seriously scratch my head when trying to understand why it can only be cast on a single target at a time, at this point in WoW. We’re so GCD starved and dots last so shortly that we would probably only ever be able to get it up on 4 enemies, maybe 5 at the most.

It don’t matter if the damage is upfront.

the dps of said dots is still being considered around each one of them spending a gcd upon being reapplied, meaning that if none of them had a gcd you could just make a maccro on all other spells of something like

#showtooltip
/cast corruption
/cast agony
/cast siphon life
/cast drain soul

and now every time you would spend a gcd on drain soul (or whatever other spell you placed, hell i would do that on every other spell) you would refresh those dots.

because each of them are on a gcd, you can’t apply all 3 of them at the same time, hell that was the effect of 10.0.0 version of soul swap, and that was a talent and a soulshard cost tied to it.

If the spec feels too “busy” due to having so many dots, its more valid to argue about removing one of them [siphon life for exemple, remove it and replace the talent for something that increases UA damage by X% or something).

smiling imagining the scenario where i repeatedly slam my fist on the keyboard to instantly apply all my dots to everyone on the screen

this is such a terrible idea lol

Go back to wod aff, ua on everyone, soulburn soulswap, and didnt they remove the lower gcd for dots for DF? Silly asf. And having to rake a talent to make corruption instant…

I don’t think it’s necessarily a terrible idea. However, it does reinforce my hypothesis that the removal of dot snapshotting and dot clipping was when Blizzard lost their way with Affliction.

Instant DoTs on every ability are only terrible if the damage automatically updates based on PROCs and buffs–if you had to recast the DOT to get the benefit, and potentially lose the benefit, then players would just constantly screw themselves over, especially if casting a new DOT on top of an existing one removed a tick of damage (and restarted a x ms until damage countdown). The decision of when to reapply a DOT used to be critically important to Affliction’s playstyle, and my contention is that Blizzard trying to balance these simplified DOTS against the ease of dotting multiple targets is precisely why they can’t make Affliction work in the first place.

TL;DR DOTs off the GCD would be fine, if dot snapshotting and dot clipping were brought back like they should be.

wait a minute, hold up, wait corruption is back to being like vanilla? a cast timer of like 1.5 seconds? affliction use to get insta corruption almost always as baseline?

Yep its on the tree to make it instant cast. And before df the gloabl cd was lower it looks like they removed that? No passive for it, if anyone else can confirm, eont play my lock much now