Glass Canon Melee?

I’m not sure if this question makes sense but I’m running out of time for picking a main and I cannot for the life of me pick a class. I decide on one then I jump to another and the wheel keeps rolling. In terms of PvE does such a class exist that where I can just jump into raids and just bring the damage? Without having to worry about decursing or giving away blessings? I prefer melee above ranged.

I might sound selfish but I just zone out while I’m running raids or dungeons it’s hard to keep up with all the mechanics plus that. I’m at the point where my friends are yelling at me to decide on one and stick it out lol.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

1 Like

I think you are describing rogue.

16 Likes

Skyrim…it’s single player

8 Likes

Demon Hunter I think would be good. Their raid utility happens with their auto attacks iirc. Lots of damage and mobility and you just kinda gogogogogo.

1 Like

Just do LFR you can zone out on any class there.

3 Likes

Demon Hunter or rogue?

Demon hunter or rogue

Probably demon hunter though. Rogues have to cc or misdirect sometimes… Demon hunters have almost no raid utility other than dropping darkness once in a while, and they usually just do it so they themselves don’t die

5 Likes

Since most classes have great survivability now nothing is really a glass cannon as far as DPS goes in PvE content.

The majority of any damage you take in raids will be due to personal failure of mechanics or raid wide failure of mechanics. The hardiest of DPS will be less likely to die, but in the event too many die in the first place it is a wipe.

Nontheless if you want something that is pure damage, just play rogue. They are currently top DPS and even if they get nerfed will probably remain high on the charts.

3 Likes

Melee are at an inherent disadvantage in raids. There’s many more melee DPS specs than ranged DPS specs, and sometimes encounters require guilds to bring more ranged DPS to handle the encounter.

If you want to play melee, though, Rogue is probably the best pick. It has 3 DPS specs, an immunity, and solid mobility and survivability.

Other good melee classes are Warrior (Rallying Cry, Battle Shout) and DK (good defensives, AMZ). DH has strong utility and ought to do decent damage, but there’s a huge number of DH players. Paladin has all the utility in the world to be a great melee spec, it just always seems to end up doing mediocre damage.

Rogue is probably what you want if you don’t want to worry about using raid cooldowns.

Demon Hunter!

1 Like

The true glass cannon melee DPS is enhance shaman.

Seriously.

Can’t take a hit.

Rogues are more sturdy.

11 Likes

unholy death knight. Especially with ams and death strike being as nerfed as they are.

As far as Rogue goes… My only concern is what can they bring to a raid/mythic group other than damage? I don’t know much when it comes to this class. Which spec is best for the time being? I’ve tried Outlaw and really hated how it was mostly based on RNG buffs.

Rogue and demon hunter are tanks compared to enhance. Literally no defenses, or escapes, and they heal themselves for less than a crimson vial.

So the most important thing is that you want something simple to play in raids but melee so that rules out Beastmaster? I can see arguments for Demon Hunter but if you don’t like that (I don’t, not even sure exactly why) try Fury Warrior. It has a great balance of simplicity and fun and is much easier to play and gear than a Rogue IMO.
Rogues have more complex rotations and more utility. Especially early in an expansion, you might be expected to sap mobs, shroud for skips, and if nobody catches a key interrupt, you might be the first to get the deathglares, fair or not.
Another strike against the Demon Hunter is that sometimes you can slip up on a Fel Rush or something and wind up falling off a cliff or face pulling. Very silly, I know, but you are talking about super casual play, right? Well, Fury Warrior has an easier time staying out of trouble, yet still has pretty good mobility for a plate wearer.
Fury looks plenty strong in Shadowlands, and you can even choose between 1H and 2H weapons; you still dual wield, but you get slightly different perks for each way of doing that.
If you want to play the other specs later that should be fine. Prot Warrior will suffice for say, Heroic dungeons. Even if it’s not the best tank in the first season, it’s also not the hardest to play, and can be fun once you learn how to manage mitigation and aggro.
While I do like Survival Hunter quite a bit so far, I can’t vouch for it as I have never played it at level cap. If you are not dead set on melee, though, Beastmaster is the ultimate chill out spec. I think I would get a bit bored if I played it questing every day, but I do like that it lets me focus on raid mechanics more. Hunters have a fair amount of utility but not much of it is all that important in PVE outside of Bloodlust, and multiple classes have that now, so you would not necessarily be responsible for it.
Lastly, it’s fine not wanting to fuss over topping the meters or mythic raiding etc., especially when you are upfront about it. You cared enough to see how to get along without being a pain to your group, right?

1 Like

I’ve played a Fury Warrior before and it wasn’t all that bad. But I just know that if I play a class that has a off tank spec when our main tank isn’t online they’ll want me to do it which is something I’m trying to stay away from. Don’t get me wrong tanking is fun but I’ve done it so many years I wanna play a different role. Hunters are a no go for me because my fiancé is playing one. Tank friend is a BDK so that class is out and my other friend is a Resto Shaman so that class is out also.

I don’t know I’m looking for something that can handle groups by myself if need be and world quests/elites. If Assasin or Sub is a whole different play style than Outlaw I’ll gladly give it another go but right now Roll the Dice is annoying lol.

1 Like

Go DH.

They bring the 5% spell damage buff so always will have one, and don’t need to learn/memorize all the shroud skips in mythic+ if you’re a rogue.

Demon hunter, rogue, dk is kind of also a just stand in whatever and kill stuff anyway class. Also it depends what level you want to play at. Rogue will be extremely strong in high level mythic+, dk in mythic+ and raid because of their utility, and dh depends on tuning but one is pretty much mandatory for any raid.

Assassin is juggling dots, maintaining atk speed buff, dropping straight dmg finishers while pooling energy (as opposed to outlaws spam)

Sub is about dumping finishers while fading in and out of stealth /shadow dance I think. I haven’t played sub in years.

You bring damage, magic immunity CD, misdirect, feint, mobility, cheat death and group stealth. I don’t remember the last time any group was like “yeah let’s not invite a rogue”

Dh brings everything except group stealth but anything you hit takes 5% more magic dmg. Also, at least in bfa it’s the same rotation whether it’s single target or aoe I believe. Less buttons and generally easier but with room to expand if you care for minor improvements.

Roll the Bones is a lot less annoying to deal qith in SL, although it still holds a lot of the RNG, just you aren’t constantly rolling for better buffs instead of actually using abilities.

That being said, as Duffle mentioned Assassin and Sub are completely different for Outlaw. One is all about maintenance of buffs/debuffs, whilst the other is all about maximising small damage windows.

That being said they do bring a lot of utility etc, so in a group setting you may be expected to do certain things which I believe you were wanting to lean more away from. So Rogue might not be the best.

Warrior is probably one of the less utility requested classes. Battle Shout is predominantly once and forget, otherwise it’s mostly just Commanding Shout which has a large cd so it’s not something you will do often.

Classes like DH with high mobility will often be expected to use it to do mechanics in groups due to how good they are at doing so, so again that might not be your jam.

2 Likes