Give Worgen Tails (Part 1)

How kind of thee.

I do not think that is quite the counterstroke it seemeth to thy mind.

We are not some plant species. In fact Iā€™m not really sure what you spelled there. Lycans? Is that what you mean to say?

1 Like

So your trolling our post againā€¦ Good to know. Everyone you know what to do with this troll. You know I was feeling how BE were saying they felt bad about VE getting natural hair colors. But trolls like you make me say screw it let everyone have the look and let nothing be unique if the race is based off another race just how our human form is basically just stormwind human.

4 Likes

haha, Lichens!

Imagine the mushroom men from Bfa and SLs butā€¦ like just woody twig looking with that lichen stuff growing out of them.

Or something like unto the creatures from the film The Hallow.
Dreadful things.

I like how all the anti-tail people and trolls keep posting in here, upping the post count and making the thread more relevant than it probably would have ever been otherwise.

4 Likes

This doesnā€™t matter though. Official Blizzard-artworks shows them with tails too.

4 Likes

:thinking:

Do you often walk into another groupā€™s space to act the fool, or is this just a forum thing? You got treated as seriously as you acted. Probably more honestly.

4 Likes

is there any chance you can share the picture on said cards? Iā€™ve lost touch with hearthstone so Iā€™ve never seen these female saberon cards. We also need a reason or method that they would want to join either side

In retrospect, certainly.
I shudder to imagine what torments suffered theyr teachers if this be theyr reaction to a mere question.

Iā€™m thinking the worgen animation skeleton was built from the Draenei one, so it likely did start with a tail and is why it still exists on the animation rig which other races use.

Thatā€™s why we want it optional so those who want a tail can have it and those who prefer no tail can have that too. The female Worgen model already has tail bones in the model. Just give us a check box and let each player choose if they want it or not.

Personally I would also like to see Worgen at the lore correct size which not only is lore friendly but suddenly the giant Tauren sized shoulders we use make so much more since.

3 Likes

I had spotted this but hadnā€™t read it in full, but you convinced me to. Good read actually and makes me think a lot of the animation changes people want, especially and including tails, are not as difficult as I thought since the hard work is already done.

3 Likes

I probably commented on this before
No idea when, or what, but ya WE NEED TAILA

1 Like

Wish it was a bit more official and explained better.
Even with the allied races, they took an existing race animation set and made the new body model fit that set. Why donā€™t Zandalari or Kultirans have more of a unique profile compared to night elves or orcs?

Draenei seem to share a development path with worgen, demon hunter forms, Kiljaeden, the stoneborn, etc

I guess itā€™s because you still have to build the animations? So even if all of the models share the same root, which they likely do, you still want to take something thatā€™s closer to the animations youā€™re wanting and tweak it from there.

But if they can be stretched and such, why do we not see more of it? Because it just looks weird and takes a long time to get working right?

Be interesting to see more of how it works and itā€™s limitations.

Currently they sure adapt existing animation rigs to use on other creatures/races.
Iā€™m fairly certain upright orcs are a result of work done on the Kultiran/Mokā€™nathal animation rig.

Maybe thereā€™s just an easier way to adapt existing animations to another rig, but even if thatā€™s the case, why is it not used more? you could create some interesting mash ups that look even more unique.

Hrmā€¦just looks like the only reason theyā€™d all be using the same skeleton is it started out that way same as youā€™d think of a tree of evolution with itā€™s many branches.

My understanding of this is it has been used exclusively since cataclysm.

I get the point of your question though. Consider how few skins the various races use. Skins are probably the easiest thing to modify. Change some color here, add some shading there. Boom done. They are also one of the most recognizable customizations. If they had one artist, working only a couple days per month, since they did the last major customization update, every race would have about double the skin options they do now.

The answer I think is a lack of creativity, or creative freedom, in the Blizzard art and modeling division. I canā€™t see an artist looking at the limited options we have and being satisfied with that.

Especially with races that you can be really creative with fur patterns like worgen, vulpera, tauren/hm tauren, and pandaren. Or tattoo patterns like nightborn, lightforged, LFdraeni or orc, troll, and HM/tauren warpaint. As I said these would really be easy to add. They could even community source these things if they really wanted to be cheap and predatory of the fan base. There is no way I look at this and think of good management. The worst thing that could happen is they add an unpopular option that few people use. But even with those, I still see someone playing a lavender male panda now and then, and Iā€™m glad they have their option to be unique. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Watching the UE4 video linked in that thread helped me gather my thoughts better.

Getting some of the terminology in line helps as well.

So adding monk animations to something like a draenei, theyā€™d likely use the animation targetting via a rig, as Iā€™d be surprised if the draenei (and those races developed from them) would use the same skeleton as a human, since theyā€™ve got tails and different bone structure, but you could use the rig to then link the locations of the bones in the two skeletons to transfer an animation like the monk ones. Makes sense.
Perhaps it is the same skeleton and it just repositions itā€™s nodes to the mesh for the animation to match up on, itā€™d be neat to see it in the works.

I typically said animation rig or set as I was just referring to the animations for a specific race, not necessarily the bone structure theyā€™re attached to.
The animations are what would take the most time as youā€™re having to position stuff where you want it.
It does seem like the animations for worgen could have started out as draenei, thereā€™s also some of the demon hunter forms, stone born, dreadlord stuff that carries over between them.

As for the kultirans, it does make sense to start out using the orcs as your beginning animation source as they were likely used to make the vrykul, if the Kultirans share an acestry with the drust/vrykul, then having them share a development ancestry makes sense as well, same as the Zandalari and Night Elves.

Having a mesh that is more closely fit to the original race also means the animations will look better, less clipping etc.

Pretty interesting stuff. I need to go back and watch a bunch more of the blizzcon art stuff.

I thought it was interesting how the maldraxxi gladiator males and the brutish constructs in bastion were built from ogre animations. Since the maldraxxi animations seemed more ā€œactiveā€ compared to the previous ogre animations, I was hoping it might see use in the future as part of playable ogres.

I think part of the answer to my question is that it wouldnā€™t look good.
You could use animation retargetting to take the animations from one race and put them on a fairly different shaped one and they likely wouldnā€™t look right due to the more cartoony nature of WoW.
Sounds like it is doable, but youā€™d have to take all of that into account.

Before someone had pointed out the similarities between stoneborn and the worgen, I was thinking they were draenei derived as I could kneel next to one, and itā€™s pretty much the same animation. Kiljaeden moves like a draenei but has a slawed swipe like worgen.
Could just be an example of animation retargetting, but it would also make sense to use an existing digitigrade raceā€™s animations and heavily modifying them to make another one, rather than starting from square one.
Itā€™s kinda fun trying to figure out what animation set the new monsters/animals etc use.

Anyway, enough rambling :stuck_out_tongue:
Really would like to see tails on worgen.

Although with the animation retargetting, I wonder why itā€™s not been used to add monks for the races missing them.

1 Like

Thanks for the bump!

2 Likes

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

1 Like

I would rather they use their resources on adding more tusk options for Trolls. Thank you.