Give Worgen Tails

Good question! Thankyou for asking, that is something I have thought about, being a worgen main.

• War paint - Bloodfang worgen ingame use war paint in the Hillsbrad Foothills, and in the Alliance garrison. https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/870522-bloodfang-forsaken-hunter.jpg

• Body Scars - Alpha Prime and several other worgen in the comics have lived a very savage life, and are covered with scars from their adventures. They added one scarred face option recently, and I love it. https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/thumb/e/ea/Alphaprime.png/300px-Alphaprime.png?version=3856c28495f804a98f6253a6fabffa68

• Bite marks - Again referring to Skyrim, and world of warcraft worgen, the curse is spread through bite. Bites are deep, and often leave scars. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/moon-guard/images/9/99/Halfordcursed5.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20150514211111

• Wolfish features in human form - In the comics, some characters bear slightly more bestial features when they are slightly enrage, but not quite to the point of shapeshifting entirely. Genn Greymane in Heroes of the Storm as an example. Slightly more pointed teeth, glowing eyes in human form, extra body hair options, etc. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qWfFE-_6f1Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Now, if I wanted to be far more ambitious, I would suggest the long-sought for kaldorei form as well, because both kaldorei and humans can become worgen. That, and customizing your human form and your worgen form separately. All these customization options have been depicted in the game and lore.

2 Likes

The model is far too small back before Legion the model was closer to the correct size and was 7 feet tall. But after Legion they made the model 6 foot 11 inches tall. I call it the Alliance Tall races size, Night Elf, Draenei, Kul Tir and Worgen are all basically the same size within a few inches of each other. No idea why but oh well.

Oooh yes please. I would love tails… and for people who wouldnt want them, they can just toggle them off and on.

4 Likes

This thread is still at the top? FANTASTIC!

Keep fighting the good fight!

5 Likes

All very good and I do like.

I actually have advocated this! In fact you can read on my thread here:

I think that’d be more suited as an Allied Race though. Sure they both look worgen but I know the art team can make them look much different. In fact, perhaps we can even get Nightmare tainted worgen that we free which are still in the Dream?

Anyways, I do like the options you have provided but let me ask you this on top of that. Do you think a tail would honestly take away from the image?

Perhaps! And I do fully support the kaldorei worgen allied race concept, that would be cool! But I have spoken on that already as well. Alpha Prime - who you see there in the scars picture - looks exactly like a normal worgen, and was in fact a night elf. Many of the Nightbane and Bloodfang worgen ingame were night elves, as well as the Terrowulf and Talonbranch worgen. Night elf worgen were also trapped in the corrupted Emerald Dream for over nine thousand years, with no side effects, and that is canon. However, there is one worgen ingame - Alton Redding - who has longer ears than are available to us ingame. So yes, night elf worgen canonically look much like normal worgen, though ear length could be advocated.

Worgen and the Nightmare came up recently on my questions thread as well.

Worgen and the Nightmare: Are they resistant? :rose: 🥓 Worgen Lore - Ask me questions! - #151 by Raedolf-wyrmrest-accord

Honestly, yes! While these other options are already present and are logical, worgen are as they were designed to be, when it comes to limbs. For me, this goes back to their intention and creation in the narrative. The Pack Form was imperfect and unable to be controlled, and so - long story short - Elune blessed them with a form between man and wolf. What Elune provided was the perfect balance, that could be controlled if one could master themselves. Some lose themselves, while others maintain balance, something impossible for the Pack Form.

A tail is not part of that. A tail tips the balance in the direction of Gnolls, which are far more bestial. Scars and warpaint already exist, and need no explanation. But if one wanted to add tails, I would need a lore explanation for it. And if not, I would require tailed worgen that apply to my guild to pitch some kind of reason. There are a few possibilities as to how someone could grow a tail, and none of them are really great.

1 Like

Someone suggested a quest chain where the Worgen player gives themselves to Goldrinn and gains the tail as they embrace the Aspect of the Pack form more closely. Honestly more options are always better even if it means it hurts the lore a little. Blizzard at this point has more than shown the willingness to do changes for the sake of options and a tail on a Worgen has been a very long sought after option. Sadly Blizzard never responds to Worgen posts so we will never know if the original design concept was intended to have a tail or not. The concept art had them on the female models, and Panda’s have the females with tails and the males not having the option at all so its not unheard of.

2 Likes

Well either way, I am going to agree to respectfully disagree with you.

Lore has been bent so many different ways and if they added tails to worgen as a option, you don’t have to play with one if you don’t want it. Letting other people have an option that was at one point intended but never implemented has no effect on anyone else’s gameplay. If we can get upright orc and dark skinned elves out of no where, where dark skinned elves actually break lore and nothing in lore has explicitly stated worgen do not have tails, adding tails would really make people happy.

The general consensus on the thread are more for than against.

1 Like

Worgen would probably look a lot better with tails.

1 Like

I swear Wolfie, everytime you link that I’m going, ‘Must…resist…temptation to swap to…worgen fury warrior…’

2 Likes

Agreed, becoming more primal is certainly an option. To become a 75-25 wolf-human instead of 50-50, much like the “harambear” form unlocked in Legion, would give worgen a tail. In doing so, it would also tick off the Cenarion Circle - who has banned the pack form from use - and would make the worgen far more bestial to the point of a gnoll, capable of low-common and even more prone to instincts. But this is not what most people would want, who want only the tail with no other side effects of becoming “more wolf”.

Another related possibility could be to go about it from the “Horns of Eche’ro” perspective, where the individual does something for the wild god, and thus earns a heritable trait as a reward. To do this well, this would require a questline, where you do something of considerable effort for Goldrinn or his children, much like a heritage questline or the Night Warrior questline. If it was done in this way, then I would appreciate it, and even do it myself.

I would say “imagined” or more correctly “conceptualized”, not intended. If it was intended, it would have been in all of the concept art, not just two pieces from a single artist, Wei Wang, in 2009. There is more worgen art from Lands of Conflict (noncanon RPG material) in 2004, one with a tail and one without.

If you want to look for “intent”, I would suggest looking to Micky Neilson and James Waugh instead, who have been publishing lead and story developer for worgen since their creation, wrote Curse of the Worgen with DC comics, and helped as lore developers with Wolfheart and Chronicle. Waugh also wrote Lord of his Pack, as well as helping with content and world building and script editing.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Wei_Wang
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Micky_Neilson
https://wow.gamepedia.com/James_Waugh
http://www.mickyneilson.com/about/

Micky Neilson also responded to me on twitter, directing me to the artist - Samwise Didier - for the Gilnean crest, which I found very neat.

https://twitter.com/RedmaneRaedolf/status/937410922175500290
https://twitter.com/RedmaneRaedolf/status/938152359020154881

Worgen have some of the lowest representation for end game content in the game and have arguably the worst main race racial ability in history.
Give them tails for crying out loud.

10 Likes

I said this earlier in the thread… lmao.

2 Likes

pls no tails!! Noooooo!!! :sob: :scream: :confounded:

1 Like

Draenei do not hold sway over all the Alliance tails! Let those woofers get their happy on! Tails for worgen!

4 Likes

Ah, I hadn’t seen that post yet.

I just watched your video. I like it! I appreciate as well that you understand worgen lore from Curse of the Worgen, such as their origin and the Scythe. There are videos such as Doronsmovies and the like that summarize and get it wrong, only spreading misconceptions.

That is not to say I agree to tails. The female tailed mod does like quite attractive, I admit. From a worgen lore perspective however, and a werewolf fan perspective, I still advocate for canon worgen. So people walking around with tails in their TRP3 info, or wanting a customization option with no explanation, are a no in my book.

If - key word IF - it could be added tastefully and explained thoroughly in a questline, I would accept it and might do it myself as well. “Ok, if you make it make sense” is what I end up coming to, on all these tail threads throughout the years.

But at the same time, that puts a lot of expectations on Blizzard. Someone in Blizzard would have to care a lot about worgen to write an additional questline for them, and sadly, Wei Wang, James Waugh, and Micky Neilson don’t work for Blizzard anymore.

2 Likes

I actually posted some female worgens with the updated model with a tail. In case you didn’t see, here are a few! (Note the posture is changed to the alpha female skeleton)

8 Likes

Problem is and lets be honest here Blizzard will not add a quest line. Worgen are one of the few races in the game were the lore is so lacking and inconsistent its not even funny. I mean how do you find out the Worgen Lore… You do the starting Worgen area then have to play horde to find out what happens afterwards. After 10 years we were finally given a joke of a HA set and a quest line where I kid you not they tell Worgen players… Its not the curse that defines us… Really cause without that curse we would be just British sounding humans… Instead of embracing it we are told we are strong without it… So ya I would rather just see the tail be optional rather than trust Blizzard to do a quest chain to unlock it as we will probably be told how bad we are again.

2 Likes

I already role-play this character as being highly disdainful of her human form, considering it “soft and helpless”. She never reverts to it.

I think a more feral appearance (with tail) would make for an interesting reward for doing a wild god related scenario as you describe…and that another side-effect could be the permanent loss of the two-forms ability. That may not be something other players would care for, of course.

1 Like

More bestial appearance. What features would you want to be more bestial besides growing a tail?