Give survival some love!

I don’t think they should gotten rid of the Legion version. I liked the idea of traps being more than just for CC.

1 Like

Melee hunters are weird.

5 Likes

Survival spec? Never heard of it

6 Likes

While I agree with a lot of your assessment on Survival Hunters, I still would prefer than as they were during MoP. If Blizzard wants to give Hunter back the melee abilities then go back completely to being mixed melee/ranged or don’t do it at all.

By the end of BfA I had an successful Survival set of gear and even liked using it. Now as Marks I have been using my pet more in situations, where that was the advantage of being Survival during BfA - so, honestly Melee Survival while novel is a failure. Only a niche group of players bother with it, and it ruined what I once used as my main. Does not surprise me however, most changes since MoP have been for the worse.

2 Likes

every time i try to give survival some love they ghost me and won’t return my phone calls for months

2 Likes

incoming bepple to complain, its seriously every thread that even mentions the spec.

1 Like

I mean, this is WoW. If survival played exactly as it does now and had all of its numbers tuned up to the level of MM then people would be playing it.

2 Likes

Because people begged and begged and begged for melee Survival back because, “muh vanilla melee hunter that never actually existed the way I claim it did.”

Also because Lancer/Dragoon RPG classes.

2 Likes

There are other classes that are Melee that are just better at it.

It is possible to make a Mage Melee based too, call it a ‘Battle Mage’ but they call them Shaman.

1 Like

I don’t really understand the point you’re trying to make?

If they made a mage spec a melee spec, the number of people playing it would also be strongly related to the numbers it put out relative to the other mage specs.

If you’re basing the success or failure of spec design solely on the number of people playing it then I think its only fair to point out that people tend to play the specs that do the largest numbers. Put another way, - Survival could be redesigned into the least fun spec in the game (just insert whatever gloriously unfun/tedious class mechanics you can imagine) and if it did 20% more DPS than MM or BM it would be the most played. People would be unhappy, but they would be playing it.

1 Like

the vast majority of people that play Hunter choose ranged, if they wanted to play Melee there are other classes better suited for that.

3 Likes

Yes, that was the existing premise of the discussion. :laughing:

I laugh so hard seeing that people still didnt get over the fact that ranged survival is not coming back.
Now, survival could use some talents baked into baseline and some ajustments but the overal spec i find it pretty enjoyable.
Nothing can beat the feeling of kicking fotm classes butts as a survival hunter, i even got some angry whispers from people i outplayed

4 Likes

I agree. They need work. I gave it a shot and wanted to like it but it was just too frustrating. Pet didn’t seem to hold aggro and survival quality of life is severely lacking. The abilities need major buffs. As I have said in other threads, I believe Survival should be merged with BM to make the melee spec the one with more powerful exotic pets. I also think Mending Bandage should be a baseline ability only, not interruptable by damage.

I used to feel this way tbh. But I put my preconceived notions aside and just gave it a chance. I was pleasantly surprised, but I felt that it needed more differentiation. Now I’ve really taken to it and wish it would be tweaked, buffed, and made competitive.

2 Likes

That’s what so many of us have been asking since they destroyed the spec.

3 Likes

Survival Hunter in MoP (Black Arrow, Explosive Shot) was my favorite spec I’ve played on my Hunter, so I’m definitely a bit annoyed that they removed that.

6 Likes

please stop calling me 3am in the morning.

This. The spec was perfect as ranged. Felt much better than MM or BM. No interest in playing a weird melee.

5 Likes

I agree that it needs to be tuned properly but there’s little evidence that actually suggest that’s the case. There have already been a couple different raids where SV was ahead of both of the other specs, and it just doesn’t matter. Most hunters don’t play SV and there’s a variety of reasons for that, but I think melee is the biggest factor.

I don’t think it should be removed, but I absolutely think how it was implemented was a huge mistake.

2 Likes