Give survival some love!

too be fair that warlock tanking rune was fun… couldnt do anything above normal raiding with it or you’d squish but i did see quite a few locks running it.

tanking is a matter of appeal i think and i dont see the appeal of micro managing a pet to tank

And i dont care for you melodrama. Ranged survival is gone get over it.
Geez, talk about being butthurt.

3 Likes

If hunters were to ever tank, the pet would have to be mandatory. The hunter has 3 main things going for it, pets, ranged weaponry, and traps. If we take away the pets, that would really only leave it with just traps as the only core part of the hunter left.

At that point, I’d want it in an entirely different class.

1 Like

i still think working on 4th specs is better then adding more classes.

however blizzard cant/wont balance the ones they have now so i dont see that happening

I agree, though if we get a 4th spec I’m going to argue for an updated RSV rather than a tank spec for multiple reasons. One, I think it would appeal to far more players within the class itself than a tank spec would based off how popular it used to be.

Two, I think thematically it makes sense. I can think of many other games and RPGs where I can play out the fantasy of playing an arcane archer and infuse my shots with magic. We had that for a decade, so I know we can have that thematic work within WoW.

Three, I think it’s important to set a clear acknowledgment that the current precedent and how current SV was implemented was a mistake. I think they really pushed a lot of players away for something that should have been a 4th spec from the start if they thought melee would have been a good addition.

It likely won’t happen, I fully understand that. I still believe it would be the correct path forward however rather than letting current SV languish or fear being deleted like with what happened to the old spec.

That said, players have made similar arguments about new classes and possible additions since 2004. I don’t think the concern about balance is a good argument to stop the addition of new gameplay or content.

I’m just setting my sights on realistic goals. Them making the melee version better than it currently is seems much more likely for Blizzard than turning the clock back to WoD or earlier.

1 Like

Agreed.

A 4th spec option for a strictly DPS class? Just does not seem fair, although it would be cool if they did that for all the classes.

1 Like

I’m not saying they should turn the clock back at all for current SV. Personally, while I think it hypocritical to the original reasons given for the rework, I think the pet should be further emphasized and there needs to be some sort of utility for the spec to be brought up more. The damage of course also needs to be looked at.

My comments are about more so about the class as a whole moving forward, which inevitably involves discussion about current and former SV.

1 Like

If they added 4th specs, I could easily see a ranged dot spec come back. I would enjoy it too, just because I like MSV doesn’t mean I hated RSV prior. I’m in a weird position where I like both.

But if they did make it a 4th spec, and left the name survival as the melee version, what do you think would be a good new name for it? Or theme even? I could see the ranged dot spec being added back as Dark Rangers, for instance.

2 Likes

indeed it would sound weird for a class to have all 4 dps spec, and some may not like the idea, but it’s safer than just reverting a spec back to range, that way everyone has their perspective playstyle they want. pet, Range, Dots, and Melee.

2 Likes

There’s many ways to go about that IMO. I could easily see them making something based on the dark rangers. However, this is something I went into detail a few weeks ago for fun, so I’ll just link that thread here. It has themes I’d enjoy, base spec and how it might function, and talents. Obviously I don’t expect blizz to ever do an idea copied like that and I’m not exactly sure how balanced all of the ideas would or wouldn’t be.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/4th-spec-rsv-munitions-expert/871855

Feel free to read through and comment though with thoughts or feedback ^^

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a weird position, just an uncommon one.

2 Likes

Very well thought out post, I like it! Being centered around munitions fits the idea of RSV nicely.

Haha yea, you’re right.

1 Like

Thanks! I really did want it to harken back to what the spec used to be without stepping on either MM’s or current SV’s toes! I’ll get reply to your other post in a minute :slight_smile:

1 Like

They didn’t show RSV any love the last days of WoD, so why should they show any now for MSV?

1 Like

I don’t think poor choices made in WoD should affect their current choices.

I regent to inform you that survival hunters have been dead for a long time.

Survival Hunter has to be the saddest thing to ever happen in WoW… Everyone was talking about how range was preferable in PvE content compared to melee so what did Blizzard do? they took a ranged spec and turned it into a melee spec…

And Survival went melee in Legion, right? so that was when Blizzard also introduced Demon Hunters… another melee spec. G.G.

1 Like

What frustrates me is the precedent they set with it too. Blizz currently has shown they are totally cool with revamping a spec completely so it is totally unrecognizable from what it is by changing it so it doesn’t even match what it used to be thematically, let alone gameplay.

People say melee is here to stay, and for their sake I hope they are right. Ultimately I always argue for a 4th spec because until Blizz acknowledges how big of a mistake they made, there’s literally zero guarentee they won’t just do the same thing again to its current players. And I think that is not only frustrating, but wrong to screw players over like they did.

2 Likes

MM plays nothing like ranged survival did and the only similarity is that they have a proc to reset AS and make it instant cast and a talent that happens to share the same name as the proc/ability ranged survival did.

1 Like