GeForce graphic issues

Hello

I’m posting in regards to updating one of my drivers for my graphics cards is causing a lot of “flickering” and not loaded pixels/graphics to be shown (ie. Trees tops in Zandalar flickinging on and off and hair on Blood Elves to be jet black and glasses on most if not all NPC to be black.) The driver patch in question is called;

GeForce Game Ready Driver: Version 436.02

Which was released on 08/20/2019

I wanted to know what exactly is going on since this doesn’t persist in any of my other games I play such as Final Fantasy 14, Overwatch, and League of Legends. No issues with sites like Youtube or Facebook games and such this just seems to be a “WoW” only issue for me…

Any assistance from a blue would be highly appreciated.

2 Likes

That’s a brand new driver.

If the issue didn’t exist in previous driver versions, the advice would be to roll back to a previous driver version.

Curiously, do you use MSAA and, if so, do you have Alpha Testing enabled?

I’ve found that Alpha Testing can cause issues with anything it should actually be triggering on, which would include the likes of hair and tree-tops. Should this be the case, turning off Alpha Testing may help with your issues; though it will also mean that anything which it was previously picking up won’t be antialiased (MSAA ordinarily operates on geometry - alpha testing is required to detect when the visible edges are part of a texture instead).

You can impose a post-process AA to help with these newly visible edges if it’s an issue for you. There’s a chance it may also create feathering on the geometry edges but it could be worth the potential trade-off (and you may not even notice or experience that anyway).

Of course if you don’t use MSAA or Alpha Testing is already disabled this obviously won’t help.

I had flickering issues with my RTX card until a new driver came out. Related maybe?

Running a gtx 1070 founders myself and had the same flicker issue on some surfaces… bad driver. Roll it back.

Howdy!

World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth]: Terrain and icons flicker randomly in the
game. [2633205] -> This issue was resolved in driver 431.36. If the issue continues in the latest driver I would recommend a clean install of the latest driver. When you get to the Install Options section select: Custom (Advanced) -> Next -> Check mark: Perform a clean installation. -> Finish the install and restart the PC.

Another reason for flickering textures could be an unstable GPU such as overclocked. If you overclock the system try reverting the changes and retesting.

Thank you!

1 Like

So the flicker shouldn’t exist, unless the issue came back…

1 Like

Right unless something else is going wrong. A clean install of the driver and reverting any GPU overclocking would be next. Asterchades<Oblivion> had good input but I think that was a bug which was resolved.

Thanks for the responses everyone especially the blue and Zungar. I’ll try and apply the fixes tonight after my raid :slight_smile:

There was a huge thread about this that they closed. The issue was lessened, but never truly went away. Now the blame game between nividia drivers and wow itself, probably will be resolved in 3-12 months.

This is happening to me as well but unfortunately I am unable to rollback the driver, are there any other options? Also will this ultimately prove damaging for my graphics card/game if ignored?