GeForce Experience Unable to Find WoW, Game cannot be optimized

Since the 8.1 Update, Nvidia’s optimization tool can no longer locate WoW and the game cannot be optimized for the new dx12 changes. This appears to be due to the directory structure change made with the update. Given the reported performance gains with this last patch, I believe it’s urgent that Blizzard and Nvidia work with each other to resolve this. I also have a ticket opened with Nvidia to investigate on their end.

Post was made per suggestion by BlizzardCS on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1073403343047966720

2 Likes

I have the same issue. But this I would say is a NVIDEA problem and they will prob have to fix it. The thing was after last nights patch it reset all my graphics settings so I dont even have the old settings that NVIDEA had set in WoW

1 Like

Oh I understand that it’s an issue with the GeForce client, but it’s something that Blizz needs to work with Nvidia with. Like I said, I made the post per Blizz’s CS.

NVIDEA site says it will only display games that can be optimized. I am wondering if you go into wow and turn off auto detect and manually select the geforce card then log out if the NVIDEA Experience will detect the game. (I think it might go off the settings file to detect)

Unfortunately no. It only detects the game if you move WoW.exe from the retail folder up into the World of Warcraft folder, and even then it cannot find the actual configuration, neither does it offer the dx12 optimizations contrary to a press release from their site. This is definitely due to a miscommunication issue between both companies.

That sucks.

What happens if you add the retail folder to NVIDEA Experience.

It’s unable to find the executable, even though it’s looking in the appropriate directory. I suspect the underscore in the directory name is throwing off the scan but can’t verify. It also doesn’t explain why the optimizations are not updated to the dx12 settings, again contrary to Nvidia’s press release about the dx12 changes. Figured trying to poke both companies would help get this resolved quicker.

Yeah … worth a try though lol.

I played wow last night just fine, go to log in today and I’m getting the same issue now that it says my drivers are out of date. >_< Ow works just fine, it’s just wow.

I always find it’s best not to use Geforce Experience, it has led me and some of my friends down a dark ugly road and resulted in removing it. It likes to optimize games for you and I find it annoying and poorly done.

I would have to agree with you Feliciti. I have been around this forum since the start. GeForce Experience and Wow are a bad combination. Trouble waiting to happen.

2 Likes

I tend to use it as a baseline and then adjust from there. I have a bit of an odd setup and I’ve found that GeForce Experience works well enough for what I need.

I don’t personally use GeForce Experience, since neither my gaming habits nor my equipment justify it, but Google tells me there’s been at least one posting on the GeForce forums about this. That’s probably not as effective as Blizz reaching out to Nvidia, but at least the issue has been surfaced.

So I just woke up and had an epiphany. Please don’t shout at me if you’ve either tried this idea and it did nothing.

Has anyone tried symbolically linking wow.exe so there’s symbolic link for wow.exe sitting in the World of Warcraft folder that points to the wow.exe in the _retail_ folder ?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1088167/geforce-experience/world-of-warcraft-dropped-from-optimization-list-/post/5940842/#5940842

Sounds like Nvidia are working on an update for this issue.

I tried re-scanning the wow folder, then the wow retail folder with no result

I then went back to "Program Files (x86) Folder and added that to Geforce Experience and then re-scanned & IT FOUND WOW, please try this as I would like to know if works for others.

Best of luck to all.

3 Likes

Worked for me, just had to set it to dx12 manually in the game client.

Seems like Nvidia fixed it.

I was able to finally add the new folder into the Scan panel.

Take this for what it’s worth but I do not recommend you let Geforce experience optimize wow. In fact I don’t even install it cause it created more headache than it’s actually worth and the game runs better since I’ve uninstalled it.