Gear Progression

Hey guys, quick question, im returning to the game after a while and im trying to get an idea of what the best way to gear up is.

I like just que’ing for things rather than having to find a group and I tend to focus more on PVP

The idea I have is the best possible path to gear up my main and alts

So far the idea I have is this

Level to 120
Dungeons till full dungeon gear
Legendary Cape
Arena till full Glad gear

My friends suggested Mythics but I dont have the gear to get into plus yet and the base mythic gear is only 430 compared to 440 Glad gear, plus I get to pvp with arena.

Do you think there are any steps im missing or does this seem like a good path?

While there’s nothing inherently wrong with your outline, I think you’re going to get frustrated rather quickly by trying to step into arena with relatively little gear.

At low rating, you’ll be getting high lvl M+ players and Raiders who outgear you by 30+ ilvl that are just playing to get their weekly conquest cap, or the arena essence. While at higher rating, you’re going to start running into pvpers who also outgear you by 30+ ilvl. All of which are likely to have BiS essences and corruptions as well.

Unfortunately with the way BFA has treated pvp, Arena in and of itself isn’t that viable of a gearing path for fresh 120s unless you both know your class exceedingly well, and have geared friends who can carry you up to a certain point.

If you go scroll through the arena forums, you’ll find loads of threads complaining about the current “need” to pve in order to be viable in pvp.

That being said, it is possible to fully gear through pvp, minus running horrific visions to upgrade the cloak of course. Just be aware that it is a lot easier to obtain gear through M+, and that’s where most people are getting at least their initial gear from.

To put it in perspective, a M+10 will drop 455 at the end of the dungeon and award 465 in the weekly chest. The equivalent of that in arena is Rival (1800-2099 rating.)

1 Like

Follow up question then, do mythics have any sort of lockout? because I know with arena you can just keep going

Base Mythics have a lockout, but M+ does not. Assuming somebody in the group has a key for that specific one, you can run the same dungeon over again.

For instance say you had a +5 key for Freehold. You could complete that, and your key gets upgraded to a +7 Shrine of the Storm. You can still join a group where somebody else also has a +5 Freehold and (potentially) get loot for it again.

Or it might just happen where your +5 freehold upgrades to a +6 of the same dungeon. I’ve had that happen before as well.

word looks like im running mythics, thanks friend

Trust me I wish it didn’t have to be that way. Cheers!

If you enjoy unrated PVP, be sure to check out the Conquest system. As soon as you hit 120, you can start collecting PVP gear with an ilvl equivalent to Normal raids, and later Heroic raids, by collecting Conquest points. You get Conquest points from winning Battlegrounds, completing Assaults in War Mode, and completing various quests for killing Horde players, assuming you are on an Alliance character.