GDKPs can act like a gateway drug

Now hear me out before you decide to hate on this but I have a friend who stopped playing Classic but at the height of his run he was spending KMMO levels of money on gold.

He got banned permanently for RMT which serves him right, I am not condoning RMT nor do I suggest anyone become involved with it.

But this is a tale of caution where my friend would start off by purchasing in order to just buy raid consumes and enchants/gems to then buying enough to slowly getting into GDKPs, once he got into GDKPs it was game over because the rush of gambling with other people on high stake items, the Discord congratulating you and you receiving that sense of dopamine from that purchase and acquiring something that someone probably spent countless hours going after, all of it plays into my idea that it acts almost like a gateway drug into the cycle of RMT.

Even if people don’t RMT for their gold, the simple act of gambling it away or participating in GDKPs as a carry for the sole intention of gold over gear puts you in direct involvement with that world whether you like it not.

As someone whose played Lost Ark and seen the extreme monetization, people will spend absurd amounts of money on MMOs and it’s not something any MMO can avoid because regardless of GDKP or not RMT will exist. But just the concept of a GDKP being so accepted goes to show how open and accepting everyone is of buying gold.

At this rate I wouldn’t even be surprised if WoTLK came out with WoW tokens so people can feel more ethical about spending money on gold :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

I stopped right here.
Another GDKP troll thread.

7 Likes

All I ask is you give my post a chance, it’s not a troll thread.

1 Like

Spent a substantial sum of my post-collegiate career in warehouses man.

I’m not about to throw money away buying WoW gold – regardless who’s selling it.

1 Like

Yeah not a lot of people on the forums are but people who are buying aren’t on the forums, they’re on discords and reddits trading daily getting their alts up for WoTLK and powerleveling profs to get ahead.

I’m just saying they exist also :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I gave your last 2 a chance. 1st was a cataclysm fanboy thread. 2nd confused constructive feedback with insults.
:axe:

4 Likes

This post takes the personality traits of 1 person and projects them on the whole gdkp community. The first problem is

Like you can’t afford 100g in mats a week when if your downing a raid you will make your money back assuming you aren’t wiping 10+ times. I’m pretty sure 90% of raids end up being a net positive in just raw gold from trash/bosses.

The second problem is he’s buying the gold to win items rather then seeing the whole process as a win. Every item sold is a benefit to the players in gdkps even if it doesn’t go to them. This is what rmt gdkp people don’t tend to realize. Like if an item in bt goes for 1000g that’s 40g in the pockets of everyone else. That covers your flask for a 2h raid. Then the next item is a profit. You don’t have to win in gdkps to come out ahead unlike in sr or Ms/os roll runs. In those if you lose or your item doesn’t drop you are no better off then you began.

1 Like

False, wipes happen during prog and that’s more than just a 100g in mats a week, you try to discredit my statement by making even weaker arguments.

Everyone knows this but pots that are 500k+ are all RMT.

Even pots that are 50k+ are mostly RMT, the people spending that gold are somehow raiding with their guild + PvPing actively while also somehow generating 50k gold? Stop.

The cope is real, most if not all GDKPs are RMT based and even if you don’t RMT yourself by participating in it you’re just accepting this new method of P2W.

2 Likes

yeah it happens but i have geared 3 chars from GDKPS and not bought gold just takes longer to get full BiS

I dont consider buying gold P2W

Now if in the shop you could just buy full BiS SWP gear thats P2W

Pots only get to 50k on first few boss kills and legendary items. People run multiple gdkps a week aren’t spending much but probably bring in 3-5k a week. Nearly every week in naxx we get 1k pay outs and bt same thing. So if I don’t buy an item for 3 hours of raiding I’ve made 2k+ if a glaive drops I can expect another 1-1.5k pay out.

People I know run alot more then me currently are doing those plus swp plus a random thing like hyjal or tk/ssc.

Is it so unlikely that if someone is bringing in 3-5k gold a week they can spend 50k when a legendary drops.

Also the highest pot ive seen was 55k. Im sure on bigger servers you get those big rmt nerd bit if you see that I wouldn’t be in those raids most likely.

1 Like

Yes lmao, the amount of people who are doing that the legit way is far less than the ones who are just swiping for it.

Given an opportunity to skip the grind, humans will take the path of least resistance.

And most of that gold also coming from big GDKP pots is RMT gold anyways, they all feed into each other and no one is clean from it just because you’re a carry.

You got reciets for that? If you know it’s rmt then report it. after servers being up for 3 years at this point I think that’s way reasonable for people who have been doing this for the entirety of the game. Remember they had 6 raids by the end of classic and 11 right now that can be ran although really it’s about 5.

No I don’t go around asking people who have a 100k gold who bid on items in RMT GDKPs because

A. Who in their right mind would expose themselves

B. It’s obvious to find someone buying gold vs. someone earning it legit

The only people more clueless as to the difference are Blizzard GMs who seemingly let people get away with as much as they want like an unmoderated private server.

Nothing in wow is P2W.

Gdkps aren’t aren’t going anywhere and it’s a net positive for the community as it’s the best pug loot system.

Yeah Blizzard thinks so too, once WoW token drops it’ll make people even more proud and happy to RMT for their gear.

And what will that do?

Exactly what it did Retail, they legalized Gold boosting and gave you a way to swipe for gold and people would build up 10k+ communities selling every single thing from mounts to raids to PvP, you name it, there’s a price on it.

If they did drop WoW tokens it would generate them massive revenue because we already have such a big fanbase of people OK with GDKPs and OK with RMT :man_shrugging:

And what exactly does that do to you??

If you are in your own community and raiding or pvping, what exactly does it do to you?

:thinking:

/10char

1 Like

I fixed it, I know how simple typos can confuse people and they lack the ability to mentally fill in what was supposed to be their.