GDKP has ruined classic's community

Just about any GDKP below AQ40 will take fresh faced green geared people with a smattering of 5man pieces.

Why is a new player trying to gear up for Naxxramas quickly and expecting to do so on their own? It is the final raid out of multiple with pretty strict gear requirements, consumable requirements (with these being higher the lower skill/gear you are), and play requirements. You need to spend some time in the 5mans and lower tier raids if you want to go kill Noth and Patchwerk and Loatheb and Kel’thuzad.

What an absurd notion. Go spend a month, a mere little month, doing other raids and 5mans, getting yourself geared up.

Yes, in Vanilla WoW and prior in any DKP system that was purely bid. The reason people moved away from those systems is because people would hoard points, refuse to bid on items that weren’t the best of upgrades, and the points could only help you within that guild and that guild alone, forcing people to stick with terrible guilds for fear of dropping out of any gear priority entirely.

GDKP has the bidding risk/reward built into it, but the “points” are actual gold that get redistributed to the rest of the raid. Further, you can earn your gold in other ways and in other raids and it still has value in your present run, so you have loads more control over what you can bid on and why.

GDKPs are vastly superior to the old standard DKP systems.

1 Like

Gold Dragon Kill Points…I think LOL

1 Like

“GDKP refers to a variation of Dragon Kill Points, assigning loot by spending points accrued through attendance, thereby allowing the players to prioritize point usage based on how much they want a particular item. As pick-up groups became more accessible in Wrath of the Lich King, using gold in place of arbitrary points became a popular way to distribute gear in pick-up groups; players would pay for an item and the gold would be distributed among the rest of the raid. This way, everyone wins - even if you didn’t get an item, you ended up making some money for participating in the raid.”

Here’s more info:

Why are you not mentioning that a new 60 in greens is likely unable to meet the parse requirements that almost every GDKP run has for a payout (unless they are a healer)?

It’s also weird how you seem to think GDKPs are the be-all and end-all to level 60 gold making.

Guilds in Classic have all types of loot systems from loot council, to DKP, to SR to suicide kings. They aren’t all loot council.

Based on previous discussions I know you really like GDKPs and I can respect that but I just had to mention this stuff.

1 Like

I’ve literally never been on a GDKP run that had “parse” requirements that was below AQ40, so that’s why I didn’t mention it. As far as AQ40 requirements are concerned, they’re typically just gear restricted now, unless you’re a carry in which they want to know how good you can perform having already done the content.

They’re the easiest to fold into content you’d otherwise be doing. I want to do BWL on my Mage because getting full T2 would be fun and getting a Nelth’s Tear would be awesome… so why not seek out GDKP BWL instead of Soft Reserve? I’m not that hellbent on getting that gear so if it goes for cheap, cool I’ll snag it, otherwise, I get to knock out yet another clear and pocket some money for doing it.

There are better ways to get gold to be sure, but it is hard to beat the gold/hour of a good GDKP at AQ40 or above.

I know, but if the comment from previous is that the community has inextricably changed for the worse, I’m not sure that person should be taken seriously when all of the above loot methods had loads of drama, corruption, greed, etc. The made-up points of GDKP, EPGP, and similar were particularly bad because they fostered people to stick around guilds they hated to keep gear coming their way just a bit longer.

1 Like

Well obviously you don’t try to jump right into a Naxx GDKP if you’re a fresh 60. ZG/AQ20/MC even BWL aren’t going to care nearly as much about gear especially since you’re going to be bidding on gear that would otherwise get sharded.

Some people prefer to get their gold raiding than doing something else like farming, GDKP’s are a great way to do that.

1 Like

It’s called “greed.”

1 Like

Ok so my guildies talk about this all the time and run LOTS of GDKPs on alts. I just asked about this specifically. “Do MC, BWL, AQ20 runs etc on our server have parse requirements”.

The answer was yes they do. You do less than 35% dps in MC, BWL or AQ20 and you aren’t getting gold in my servers runs.

So maybe that part is server specific.

Of course. That’s not what I was talking about. I’m talking about payouts.

I have yet to see a GDKP get whiny about parses at payout time, especially if someone was there buying gear in the lower raids.

I mean we kicked someone on cthoun the other night but that’s because he was chaining people on beams.

Okay when you said “parse requirements” I was thinking WCL evidence of ability, not performance in raid.

I’m not sure what “35% DPS” is supposed to mean, but that sounds like uptime or activity requirements, which is nominal to achieve if you’re not AFK constantly. That makes sense, but if they’re arbitrarily setting actual DPS thresholds like “must do 200+ DPS on Firemaw” then those are dumb GDKPs and I’d find others.

I like being able to make gold actually playing the game as a healer so…I do gdkps

No they are not specific numbers. They upload the logs to WCL and if you don’t parse a 35% on Warcraft logs (overall, not gear level) you do not get gold. Healers are exempt. I agree that 35% is not hard to get but it’s harder as a fresh 60 with bad gear that is new at their class. It’s not realistic to expect to get paid.

I asked my guildies and they said that if you do not get a 35% dps parse on WCL you do not get paid even for MC and BWL. These guildies run GDKPs a lot with multiple alts. They said that some GDKP runs on the server do not require this but the majority do.

See this all the time. No one wants to carry a fresh 60 unless you got deep pockets.

2 Likes

I agree, and I also completely understand this. The point of these buyers is to pay the ones carrying them. As I’ve said before it’s a business model.

I was more discussing the comments by Fasc that you can start with no gear and make gold right away which you use later. I agree you CAN make gold in GDKPs which you use later in GDKPs but that’s after you get a little bit of gear first.

Yeah you can only make gold if you are already carrying.

When we reach level 60, we must play some dungeons and buy some BOE pieces. Once you have a foundational pre-raid gear, I’m sure the Gdkp are quite open.

LOL you have to rank above 35th percentile? How inane, especially on encounters with multiple duties. That sounds like a server thing because a lot of things can contribute to terrible parsing. I have horrible parses on 4HM for example because I start off as a relief Tank, not a first on the mob Tank, and things die fast enough that I get minimal uptime.

Must be a particular set of guilds that run it that way because I’ve never seen that, ever.

GDKPs with gold on reserve. Lol.

I really can’t argue with this. I’m more focused on getting rid of the bad stuff (decursing and poison removal immediately) instead of healing the damage the dots do just to make my parse better.

Yes though, this is how it is on my server but it may be different on other servers. I get your point about building up the gold if those requirements aren’t on your server. Obviously nobody should expect to go to Naxx right away with their fresh 60 regardless of the loot system.

1 Like

my personal experience with gdkp is they are fun when you know the group, but a lot of the pugs are filled with non english speaking players who intentionally go afk or just in general play poorly. it seems like their expectation is to get carried after they bought gold and expect their deep pockets to pay for their carries. like is the venezualan and argentenian economy so bad that their citizens passively play this game with the expectation of making money?