GD: What would you like to see from Blizzard, to improve their communication to the players

So when they totally screw you over, you’re okay as long as they tell you WHY they screwed you over.

I think that’s weird. :dracthyr_shrug:

Yeah, I do like the developer notes when they add on why they change a certain class, a certain way on the hot fixes…

Would like more of there thought processes written out going into certain things

Ignore the people who say no borrowed power.

Just rotate them more effectively. Don’t throw them out instantly, keep them for like one expansion. Like Hearthstone keeps content for an extra standard year before they leave.

Basically, we should still have Covenant abilities, then in TWW they would leave and we would keep whatever we got in DF.

That’s not at all what I said. Developer’s Notes gives us context for the changes and also helps us keep them accountable (i.e. you said X change was for Y reason, but that doesn’t make sense because it actually did Z).

I think it’s weird you always assume the worst as if you just hate the game no matter what. Maybe stop paying and playing a game you clearly hate.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they could do much communications wise to satisfy us given how polarized we are (In the forums that is). I think they’d have to take an even bigger step and make some drastic game design changes before they could even address communication.

FF14 does a good job of streamlining communication and whatnot. They still have a polarized player base but their community is overall happy.

At the same time no one really talks about them anymore. I’d still say there’s a lot to take away from that game but I can understand how and why we’d rather consider all things WoW.

This is an example of more “communication to the players” from the developers.

There’s just one problem: Everything Ion said turned out to be a lie.

There are many other examples of Blizzard lying to us. Particularly Ion.

So the next patch of lies that Ion or anybody else at Blizzard dishes out… why are we supposed to believe them this time?

2 Likes

Mm. Yeah.

I’m disappointed they said during the Dragonflight Season 2 pre-release tour (so during season 1) they said they would bring back Encrypted for season 4.

Similarly they said Brawlers Guild would come back, and they said “something like mage tower” would be added. Where are these things? I like Plunderstorm a lot but in no way is that “like mage tower”.

The bones are in place with the CC as a great tool to communicate with the player base, it’s just being under utilized. I think the truth is Blizzard aren’t putting their best foot forward, they know it, we know it, and it can be hard to face your customers when that’s the case.

2 Likes

There’s suddenly issues with Blizzard’s communication?

They’re doing better at communicating than they’ve ever done before… I don’t realistically see why this thread even exists.

Being as realistic as I possibly can be, people complain about “communication”, but don’t actually mean communication. What people are ACTUALLY complaining about is getting live feedback from a Blue.

All the information for patches and changes and downtime and etc. is all put out there. What we don’t get is a daycare Blue poster patting people on the head telling them that everything will be fine and dandy, because that’s what they really want.

The problem with button bloat is that it can be so subjective, especially when looking comparing all the spells and their role in raid, M+, and PvP. For raid on my MW I take Disable, it’s a slow, why am I taking a slow for raid? Because my only other option is to take Paralysis and a talent that modifies Paralysis to get to Fortifying Brew, a defensive. Taking Disable only ties up one talent where as Paralysis would tie up 2 just for Fortifying Brew. As of this tier the only time I can maybe use Disable and have it actually do something is on the treants in the Larodar fight. The P1 treants don’t really need to be slowed, the ones in P2 are typically rooted by range out in the floor of pain. So even there I hardly use Disable. Disable itself is not the problem, the problem is the way the tree is constructed. For M+ I use the 2 talent points for Paralysis and still spec into Fortifying Brew, but M+ will have casts that can’t be normally interrupted and mobs that can be CC’d, so it’s not bloat for me to be taking Paralysis for Fortifying Brew.

Druid has this one node, there may be others like it in other trees but not for any of the class/specs I play, it’s special. The choice node for Wild Charge and Tiger’s Dash is a row 5 talent with no prerequisite talents. There is no talent you have to take to spec into it, you just need to have row 5 unlocked. I feel like there’s a lot of spells choices that could benefit from something like that. It shouldn’t be a free for all, but the idea of having to spec into a slow just so you have another defensive in content that in most cases you can’t slow anything in is a bit asinine. Obviously talents that modifiy spells you spec into should require you to know that spell, and I think passives for baselines and stats should still have paths to follow.

Now given that we don’t know why they have some nodes connected to others and I don’t develop any games, this idea is more than likely better in theory than application. It would be nice for them to take another look at the trees and see if there’s a way to make them more intuitive.

They need to stop being afraid to come to their own forums.

Because they’re bad at their jobs. Blizzard has a long history of hiring their drinking buddies, they don’t hire qualified people.

They should scrap Hero Talents and finish what they started in Dragonflight with the existing talent trees, instead.

But they won’t, because their “game development” is always driven by marketing, at Blizzard. And “we fixed our mistakes” isn’t as marketable as “we’re throwing more gasoline on the fire by adding additional talents we will also mess up!”

3 Likes

I am admittedly excited for Chronowarden and Flame Shaper, but the option to opt out of Hero Talents and put the talents we get from leveling into regular talents would be nice.

1 Like

Twice a year, every player should be allowed to fill out a survey.

It seems pretty clear to me, that the development goes a path and the community another. There seems to be a huge disconnection from those that design content and those that have to play it.

The focus on pvp seasons and M+, that hardly anyone plays is just unbelievable. At the same time housing is still not in the game, 20 years later!

We had to wait years for an update to the Transmog system and a better alt management with Warbands, that everyone will benefit from.

The guild system needs a complete overhaul too, the Quest book, the bank & void storage, crafting…

Stuff we all use every day, needs to be the priority over stuff that a few % do once a week.

While I’d like to see them clarify their stance on how much they do solicit feedback from the forums, I dislike more being misled or led to think that the forums are more valuable than they are. What I would really like to see is something like an Agile backlog and issue tracker that we could have access to … strongly structured and in a real bug tracking system.

I’d like to be able to look there for long term changes. I don’t care if it’s easily readable, I would like it to be a live version of their internal bug tracking and feature development schedules. If that’s too much trade secret, figure out how to hide your next expansion, but work in near term progress should be traceable.

We see this from all sorts of mailing lists and development teams. Time for Blizzard to step up and work like the big boys.

Sure, broadcast the nerfs and bugfixes nicely from this committee … but I’d rather see detailed tracking information and bug fixes referenced live, including states for whether they are verified, in progress, etc.

I pretty much never agree with anything you ever say on the forums, but I’m with this. (at least the 2nd part)

They’re a massive mega corporation - even before the Microsoft merger - they hadn’t been hiring drinking buddies for a decade, but they definitely aren’t good at their jobs or at least there aren’t a ton of people in the WoW team that are passionate about the game - or at least it’s very easy to perceive it this way because they don’t ever talk about their design decisions.

Agreed that many talent trees are half baked and some classes (like Warrior) maybe got 2 lines of dev notes all expansion, when their tree is very clearly bad, and they finally did mention it would be getting a slight rework for WWI, but it was radio silence for like 1.5 years.

blizz has said time and time again they’re going to improve communications. anyone believing that they’ll change at this point is just fooling themselves.

2 Likes

The answer to “seriously and” lies in the context of what we are talking about.

There need to be a TWAB like thing, where they go IN DEPTH with their changes, and the reasoning behind these changes. I do not mean a “This week in WoW” that already happens, where it just say Promo, Event, Promo, event etc.

1 Like

You’re late to the party, to be honest. Instead of fighting each other we should actually work together to make an open letter to remove Ion from the top chain, so someone else with more “community in mind” will take his role. He still can be a raid designer, but WoW isn’t going to survive from raiders or pvpers but the casuals.