Game off line

I’m completely outraged. I’ll be boycotting WoW till ~3pm PST today.

3 Likes

They’ve used Tuesday for years as their deploy day (push game fixes/changes live on that day). Traditionally, it took a few hours at least to compile/build/deploy and run checks/tests, sometimes you find a problem that crashes the game, have to hotfix and redeploy. So it made sense to dedicate a morning per week to it, I remember other companies using specifically Tuesday too, not sure why that day.

In 2020 most apps/companies are on continuous delivery - every time code is pushed the app redeploys, if there’s ever a problem, rollback and the developer fixes it. An app user just loading static webpages with JavaScript in the client doing most of the work would never notice these deploys, so it feels like it’s online 100% of the time. But different story with a persistent world MMO - there’s a lot of volatile state across many servers to keep track of, and you can’t just redeploy the app if people are actively using it unless your deploy time is very very fast and the game client is able to hide the hiccup - there would at least be a lag spike during the deploy.

One day soon though probably :smiley:

Play something else.

Another man playing with barbie dolls being snarky on his female draenei

Actually, my character’s male.
Yeah that’ll be fun to hear you snark about.

1 Like

Wrong. Updating to 8.3.7

You must be a new player.
Its not just maintenance. There’s server updates.
7 hours is nothing compared to the old days. I remember them taking 12 to 16 hours.

1 Like

tfw ur masculinity is so fragile you feel threatened by the idea of playing a cartoon lady in a video game

HMP whining .

Heck in GD we call that breakfast

who’s dusting in a data center?

in case people missed it, the reason this maintenance is so long is because they are linking some low pop servers to other servers.

People are getting used to the 1 hour restarts on Tuesdays…

It used to be 6-8 hours every Tuesday. This is nothing new…and it will be over soon enough. Go outside, take a shower, make a nice meal…you’re addiction will be back soon.

That’s Thursday not today.

Ahh good ol days. I remember having dial up and dreading patch days. Nothing like sitting there hoping you would not lose connection and have to start over.

i’m a little confused. isn’t it already back up? i’m online atm

I believe that would be Alt + F4

1 Like

Oh no… I was wrong…I’m glad you pointed that out. Thank you for showing me my mistake.

Overnight is during the day for some people. This is a world wide game.

I remember beta testing games on dialup. What a nightmare.

Happy to help. :grin:

Not that I mind…ive got a couple ESO accounts i can play today.
But yeah…I could play games today from 9am to 530pm. :laughing:
After that the wife’ll be riding me to do stuff.