Game NOT Launching Black Screen/White Screen

This is so damn ridiculous of Blizzard to do this to the community. If you had planned on rolling out nothing but DirectX12 updates from here on out you should have OWED it to your player base to let them know. I have been here for hours trying to fix the stuff blizzard has broke during this new patch release and nothing works. My computer is NOT ancient but its def not that new. I cannot believe I may have to give up the game I love and let my team down all because blizzard decided to make this game unplayable for people who cant afford a fancy computer. Game does not launch on DirectX11 or 12 it just crashes. I guess ill be unsubbing because I cannot afford a new computer right now. Notice how blizzard has yet to even attempt to fix this for their player base.

4 Likes

I feel your pain. If this doesn’t get fixed soon I’ll be forced to unsub.
The game is unplayable with this new patch and needs to be fixed ASAP

2 Likes

No wonder I can’t get this damn thing to start. Been sitting here for hours also trying to figure out why after update it just sits there with black screen. Have uninstalled, re-installed twice. Updated all drivers and scoured the forums for solutions…glad I found this thread. I also have a decent computer, but not brand new…Blizzard should probably fix this as a lot of us enjoy the game on our old trusty machines.

2 Likes

Apparently its been like this all day. I’m over it if its not fixed I’m just gonna unsub, not gonna waste money on a computer just to play WoW. Getting a black screen when launching wow after update

1 Like

Try launching the game as admin right clicking the Wow.exe at the instalation folder, game was stuck on login screen and this kinda fix it.

1 Like

Tried it, didnt work. I tried every single fix I can think of. I’m savvy with tech issues but this one is beyond me.

1 Like

You’ve tried the one inside the new _retai folder? The exe inside World of Warcraft folder does not seems to work anymore.

1 Like

Yes. I did.

1 Like

It’s not up to blizzard, Microsoft is dictating Dx12 and a lot of games are adopting the new tech. If you followed the news and stream and twitter you would of known the change is coming. It’s been known months before release, sorry you got blind sided OP but that’s what happens when you don’t use tools to keep yourself informed.

Why defend Blizzard over this? Yes its Microsoft but the game was running just fine yesterday. There are a LOT of people who have invested time/money into BFA only for them to not only rear end their community base but also made the game unplayable. No What they should have done was before BFA was released they should have notified people that certain graphics were going to be obliterated. They have had it up on their site their compatibility graphics ect. and have barely changed it. Nothing you said makes any sense. This is multiple people experiencing the same problem. Forcing people to buy a new computer to play this game is dumb. Like I said All of the other blizzard games work just fine except for WoW. I have been informed. What I was not informed of was how the patch was going to totally obliterate playing at all for a lot of people. Its a terrible business move to lose all those subs but whatever theres a rumor from the MVP server saying this will be patched in 2 days we will see.

3 Likes

It’s running fine for me on my gaming rig and even on my I7 4TH gen CPU with 12gb of ram. It must be something up with your system. I am not defending Blizzard I am just simply pointing out facts. Make sure graphics drivers and addons are up to date

Also try it with addons disabled, the usual troubleshooting dance we have to do when things don’t work. Aside from that a full UI reset may be in order.

Also whether I was informed or not doesnt change the fact that this game is unplayable and a gaming company should’nt be making it mandatory for you have a computer thats not even a year old in order to play. My computer isnt even that old, on top of that there are so many issues with this patch already based on other forum posts. I have tried every single fix there was to offer nothing worked. Graphics drivers are current and up to date, addons are up to date too. Everything is up to date. I cant even launch the game even though I deleted the addons already. Nothing has worked. Game doesnt run on DirectX12 or 11.

Humor me if you will. Send in a dxdiag report. Upload the report between the code tags “</>” so its not a giant wall of text :stuck_out_tongue:

DxDiag

Press Windows Key + R.
    Type DxDiag and press Enter.
    In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
    Name the file "dxdiag" and click Save.

Additionally, just because I want to help you :slight_smile:

Husband is having the same problem. They just told him his graphic cards were out of date and to make sure drivers are up to date. But, that didn’t solve anything. And we can’t afford another computer right now, so we’re pretty frustrated too.

super bs bought shadowlands for noting super disappointed