Game crashing after 9.1.5 on AMD GPUs

Hi,

I’ve been experiencing constant game crashing after updating to 9.1.5, this is the report ID shown: 86833E16-7863-4473-9A8C-416C965475EB.

I am running osx version 12.0.1, have tried disabling all addons, it doesn’t help.

Any idea how do I fix this?

Thanks

13 Likes

Same I either get a computer crash trying to load in from player selection screen or a wow error (WOW51900324)

When the wow app is running my computer pretty much comes to a halt and can’t run anything with out massive delays

Game was running smooth yesterday

2 Likes

Same, game freezes upon running. Reinstalled still not working. Was running fine before 9.1.5.

2 Likes

Locking every time I move, and crashing after a few locks.
Was fine yesterday, and this really isn’t a big patch.
What did they do?
also, if there is no actual mac team anymore, why does this forum still exist? Do they even look at it?

2 Likes

I was wondering if someone would see this as well.

Post more information, like what specific hardware you are using. Things like OS version, gpu, model of mac, etc.

I am running Monterey 12.0.1.
Mac Pro 2013
GPU: AMD FirePro D700 6GB

Have been running shadowlands just fine since launch, only started to happen today after 9.1.5 update. It will freeze with the rainbow wheel for couple of seconds, some times the game resumes after the wheel spinning and some times the game just crushes.

5 Likes

Same. Seems like the crashing is likely related to resolution. They definitely doubled resolution or forgot to account for Mac resolution. Can’t walk more than a few steps without critical lag and game crashes.

2 Likes

Specs:

IMac late 2015 27 inch
3.2 ghz processor quad core i5
8 gig ram
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 gb

OS 11.5.2

The lag spikes resulting in crashes seem to correspond with spell animations. Characters will entire disappear from the screen and then reload in after the game frame rate goes to 0 and the spinning wheel appears for about 2-3 seconds.

2 Likes

Specs:

MacbookPro late 2020 13 inch
M1 processor silicon
16gb ram
Built in graphics
OS 11.1

First off, literally as soon as 9.1.5 client started for the first time, I noticed the textures looking all wonky, and had to play with resolution & rendering to get it to appear fine - which only occurs if you render it at 100% of whatever resolution I leave it on. Even so, it feels like the actual graphics of the game are NOT being rendered at the lower resolution, but only the menus and interface are being rendered at the lower res.

In raid & dungeons the game will “crash”, except it really just freezes the screen and I can still push-to-talk on Discord to tell my group what is happening but no amount of waiting will resolve the freeze. While this is happening, I also can NOT Alt-Tab, or switch to others windows, etc. I’ve had to hold down the power button and force a reboot every single time.
I’ve disabled all add-ons and the issue occurred just the same. Mind you I’ve never had any issues until today, nor have I updated/changed anything on the computer, so clearly this is due to some coding from the patch.
It does seem to occur when there are a LOT of adds/effects - as in it doesn’t freeze right in the first few seconds of a pull but rather about 5-6 seconds in.

4 Likes

Mac Pro 2013
AMD FirePro D500
Big Sur 11.6.1

Same as others above. Lots of freezing , 2-5 second spokes, sometimes giving the beachball of death.

The game crashed 4 times in torgast usually during combat.

Disabled all addons - no change.
Ran repair on the game - no change
reduced all graphics settings to minimum - no change.

Update 1:
Just crashed in torgast - not zoned into an instance yet. Running up stairs and jumped. game froze and locked.

unlike when the game goes into a long lag spike, there isn’t a beach ball of death when the game crashes, it’s just a quick flicker of the finger pointer.

Update 2:
I was able to briefly replicate the freezing in Korthica. All I needed to do was toggle from one red target to another and I would freeze every time. UNTIL a player ran by and engaged them. once they were in combat (I was still not in combat) I could switch targets and not lag.

This continued targeting mobs produced no lag until I engaged and killed a mob. The lag spike happened on the killing blow of the combat. After that the next red mob I targeted lagged me out and I crashed.

I have all my graphic setting down to the lowest option.

I am also noticing the freezing can sometimes happen when interacting with a window, like opening the map and mousing over it simultaneously.

Update 3:
Crashed again. Passing through Kroke towards the heap. I was engaged by a mob while passing by. the engagement happened off screen, so there was no visual queue for combat on screen.

I followed around another player who was pulling packs of mobs to kill. I would lag spike when getting close to the group, if there was a larger enough pack , I would also lag when engaging in combat. the final killing blow on the last mob, be it me, or the other player resulted in a closing lag spike.

Update 4:
I did 4 or 5 runs through Torgast, with my foreground frame rate at 50, as suggested in this thread. I absolutely did see a difference, but I continued to crash, but only when I got to the 4th floor! I’d get lag spikes and beach balls on the floors below, but once I hit the 4th floor, on two different characters, the game would crash 1-3 fights before the boss or on the last boss of that floor. every time.

1 Like

Similar issue here.

MacBook Pro 16 - 64gb RAM - 8TB HD - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

When I start the app, my computer drops to a dead crawl… It beachballs for a solid 15 seconds, then get about a second to click, another 15 seconds of beachball, then it registers the click, etc… Completely unusable. Doesn’t even connect to the authentication servers…

Did a complete reinstall of WoW, no change.

While not completely relevant, was curious and booted up WoW Classic and Burning Crusade Classic, no issues… Perfect speed, connects to all servers, etc… So the issue is really limited to WoW.

ok so… we all have the same issue. what can we do about it? mac can not update graphics firmware as the pc peeps can. so I’m doing the latest update from 12.0.1 to 12.13 Monterey. BUT, from what I’m seeing this won’t help with the wow graphics lag. BLIZZARD… suggestions? anything? i want to play my toon dammit. but with an every 60 sec stall out I’d rather turn wow off and play xbox. screw it if it’s gona play like that ya know?

1 Like

I just canceled my account. If I can’t play I am done paying.

6 Likes

did anyone figure anything out ? I really can’t get past the character load in screen, when i try i get the screen where the blue bar loads across the bottom, after a few mins of no movement the game glitches back to my characters then back to load screen and bra starts to move about 50-60% which takes about 5 mins then my mac crashes

MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2019
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16gb 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

as of Monday i could run two accounts, watch youtube and work in Excel email and messages with zero issues…

2 Likes

Gonna do the same today. Been here since Vanilla and never had issues like this

5 Likes

ya i might just cancel my account too if this continues

5 Likes

It’s unfortunate. It’s been 16 hours and not a note of acknowledgement in any of the threads I have reviewed in search of a resolution.

I’ve logged in a few times to check if things improved, because I am an idiot, and I’m stuck in a place that I can’t even log out anymore. I just freeze repeatedly until the game crashes.

2 Likes

Same here. Freezing and crashing. Never ever it happend before.
iMac Big Sur
ver 11.6
3.5 GHz quad core i5

1 Like

Alright Mac Friends. It’d be great if a few of you could try this out and see what your results are like.

I was reading another thread and decided to trash both the addons folder and the WTF folder. so far I am not having any issues. wildest further after dog walk