Frostbolt is garbage

Doesn’t do enough damage for the risk of casting it. If I cast and I get locked out of it in frost, I am completely screwed. 1000 damage for such a high risk cast is terrible.

12 Likes

frost really needs a buff

5 Likes

More ways to generate brain freeze would be nice.

1 Like

It feels weird that my WoW Classic mage can almost hit that hard casting frostbolt.

5 Likes

Like I said in another post.
If only frostbolt damage was that important someone might listen.

I was under the impression that frostbolt was just the filler spell you used to activate your actual source of damage in the brain freeze/fingers of frost procs? I’m still leveling my mage so I could still absolutely be missing something.

No, you’re correct.

1 Like

I agree. Other than Frozen Orb there is no way to generate FoF Procs. I wrote another thread on how to fix Frost Mages but I don’t want to necro haha

A way to fix Frost
What if there is a new resource that uses Flurry. Like “Cold Front”. 1 Cold Front is generated every 3 Frostbolts. Flurry consumes 1 Cold Front. You can have a max of 3 Cold Fronts.

When Brain Freeze procs, the benefit is not consuming a Cold Front resource for Flurry giving you additional shatter crits.

That could also give us better control and create synergy between Frostbolt and Flurry, making Flurry a viable asset to the Frost Mage arsenal and rotation.

1 Like

Almost? My mage hits harder

Giving us more resources to manage would only complicate things or give us some ridiculous ramp up time to do damage.

2 Likes

Personally, the entire class design philosophy for this game is extremely bad. When you use RNG as a core method to determine your big damage, that is pretty bad.

I don’t think another resource would make things more complicated if implemented correctly. Would provide depth for sure.

The other way around it is to have Flurry generate a “Cold Front” or something of that nature.

The only difference is that Frostbolt would generate Fingers of Frost and Flurry would Generate Brian Freeze procs and/or Cold Front Resource. We get two different kinds of proc as frost. I still think that Flurry needs to be an instant cat with a 3-5 second cooldown. But then again, its similar to Arcane Mage’s Barrage ability.

1 Like

Maybe but think about past experiences with such things in this game.

Idk I am all for any class being made better/more fun to play so I am not in disagreement with anyone really in this thread.

Except the ones that think FB damage is a such a problem.

In PVE frostbolt is a proc generator. With slick ice it does a decent amount of damage at 10 stacks but more importantly allows for faster proc generation. Frostbolt should make up a small percentage of damage compared to IL and flurry as damage is not its primary function.

In PVP, with a couple specific PVP talents, frostbolt can crit for 10k. The shatter combo is about 25k damage for me currently. I haven’t PVPd much in years, starting to get back into it, but it seems pretty insane in BGs and can punish people in arena with a near one shot combo.

It’s okay until one of those sticky melee classes gets on top of you. Demon hunters, monks, warriors, rogues, etc. If you don’t already have a brain freeze proc on you, you’ll spend most of the fight trying to start the fight. lol

My Classic Fire spec’d mage hits harder than that with Frostbolt… It’s nice to actually have our casted spells deal real damage and not less damage than melee auto-attacks deal here.

Except that your classic mage only has hard-cast spells, and typically a pretty long cast at that. Personally I’d take having an abundance of instant-casts and higher movement over a cast-time spell that hits a little harder. Just look at Arcane and all the problems it has…

1 Like

2 seconds is entirely too long.
I don’t remember but didn’t it only go down to like 1.5 with the talent?

2.5 down to 2, maybe?

I remember keeping Rank 1 on my bar just for a short cast time slow. By the time haste and talents got it down to 1.5 a few expansions later they had ditched the spell ranks.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like ranged builder/filler spells are significantly under powered when compared to melee. Seems like rogues, warriors, and monks are able to deal more damage outside of their spenders, while im busy “ramping up” and the fight is over before i get a chance to land that big massive spender, unless a proc allows it to happen quicker.

And the thing is, that same proc for me, is something melee benefits from too, so ya I kind of hate spending so much time trying to develop into a damage dealing spec and waiting for my buttons to light up and glow. :angry:

2 Likes

So many people forget that when FB is too powerful procs are ignored (remember the boring no ice lance build last tier?). You aren’t looking for a FB buff, you’re looking for a spec overhaul. If you’re geared right and doing your rotation correctly you’ll be doing more ice lances then frostbolts.