Frost or Unholy

Im wanting to level my DK again but unsure on what spec to go, how are both specs playing at the mo

PvE? Unholy.

PvP? 2h Frost

3 Likes

Just finished leveling my dk to max. Frost = simpler and straight forward

Fun = UHDK by far

This is just for leveling, not discussing endgame raiding or PVP.

1 Like

I know unholy is much better, but I just dont like it. So much waiting on abilities and such. I much prefer having a button to press when fighting. I also like the ‘thunk!’ feeling that two handed frost has. That big ‘whack’ when obliterate hits.

Both are viable for any form of current content.

Play what you enjoy most.

Except unholy is miles above frost for dps

2 Likes

Read his note guys. He’s leveling, you’re taking this way too seriously.

5 Likes

For leveling? I always level as blood. For me it’s faster since I can pretty much take care of any group quests, solo.

For PvE, Unholy.

For PvP, Frost.

Remember Arthas and Bolvar were Frost DKs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always level as unholy anyway because of Epidemic and festercleaving. But it is my favorite spec so a lil biased. @ OP make sure you use Rune of Unending Thirst once its available, as it superb for questing at low levels. Max level, ehhhhh.

Arthas, before he was a DK was far closer to unholy. all DK’s in Warcraft 3 were unholy.

Arthas is closer to a combination of all three specs than anything. he controlled the entire scourge as minions. kind of like how unholy plays nowadays

1 Like

I wouldn’t say miles ahead, but yes ahead.

Unholy is better in mythic simply because the fights are designed well for Unholy and poorly for Frost.

Frost does really well on fights like huntsman, council and generals (hardest fight this tier)

2 Likes

It’s ahead by like 10-15%, yeah? I don’t really pay much attention to PvE.

It depends on the fight.

Pure ST with full uptime they are probably within 4%.

The problem is some fights are designed terribly for Frost and really well for Unholy.
Also, because everyone went Unholy there are way more logs, thus more chances for god RNG with PI.

1 Like

I’ve cleaved up to 17k in packs in mythic+ as UH, never seen a frost pump that high yet. Though it definitely still brings some nice dps

well thats kinda mechanics, but frost scales better than unholy too, frost is usually lower down at the start of expac and climbs during it where unholy is strong at first and falls off

One thing I feel people don’t talk about is that with conduits, deadliest coil lego, and Army of the Damned there is alot of CDR with your rotation that I’ve found that I love.

Sure alot of it is baked into you casting death coil but there is a nice rhythm you get into when you’re juggling bursting/putting up wounds and casting death coil to prevent overcap of runic power. With conviction of the dead if you use 2 potency slots actually makes your CDs line up and makes them come off CD way faster.

1 Like

I love it as well. Getting army up and just over 3 minutes (I’ve timed it in my guilds raid groups where the fastest was about 3 minutes 33 seconds) and always having dt and apocalypse lined up is pretty sweet. It did admittedly work better with the Kyrian covenant ability, but it still works fine.

Really not sure about this. Indicators I’ve seen so far points towards Unholy scaling better in Shadowlands.

In my brief time playing frost, its appeal is the absurd burst you can get out of it. While you’re waiting for that next window, it’s ‘meh’.

Unholy has a bit more to it, but also puts out more consistent damage in most situations.