Frost mage too..... simple?

I’ve been playing frost since prepatch hit, and yeah I’m getting bored. I like the damage I’m doing overall but I feel like I could have a nap in raid. I might switch to arcane tomorrow and have a play with that.

There’s still plenty of room to separate good players from average in the incoming IL build… definitely more than the NoIL build. Very important to know the APL, to hit the right combos at the right times.

1 Like

Don’t play classic Frost Mage then.

You think you’re bored now?

But seriously, if memory serves Frost has always been a pretty simple spec to play and do well in.

2 Likes

Doing well is subjective, but yes more or less. It took a pretty big hit for BrF, and wasn’t great for BfA (except for NoIL late in the game, but ew to that build) but it’s generally in an OK spot.

As far as complexity, it has mostly been a pretty straight forward spec. It gained a little bit of ‘skill’ in WoD when you had PC, Water Jet and the Archi trinket to take into account but it never reached Feral levels.

Not being tied to a CD window like Fire and Arcane is nice

5 Likes

I love frost.

It has the least ramp up, is good consistent dps in all situations except spread cleave.

It could use some small tweaks to stop us munching so many procs. Give brain freeze flurry a charge system and re-work the mastery.

Apart from those minor things, it’s great and just…smooth. Far less frustrating than pugging as Fire or Arcane.

I won’t even play it without comet. That ability is so fun.

A better question might be when frost becomes more interesting. If somebody hasn’t played mage before, then they start out with frostbolt and ice lance. It’s starts to be interesting with FOF, but wouldn’t it be fair to say a lot of the fun abilities come later? Or has something changed with the pre-patch. It looks like icesickles come early in.

My two cents based on leveling alone., arcane seems boring but hits harder while frost seems more fun but doesn’t hit as hard. To each their own. Granted my mage is only level 32, maybe things change if course, but this was my perspective.

The problem is with Frost when you try to add things in like GS the spec becomes to clucky and unwieldy. What would help this is if they built GS into the rotation is make it an instant proc similar to Pyro. They’d have to lower the damage on the spell but I feel like a instant proc would help it be less clunky and I feel like the rotation would flow a lot better.

Frost already has FoF and BF, adding a 3rd proc to the build would be a bad idea (especially if it interacts with other procs and leads to potential munching on 2 spells instead of just 1). GS could honestly be fixed mostly by making it work similar to other spells - make it always crit so you’re not relying on BF procs to make it do any damage, reduce the cast time slightly, and if necessary reduce the damage.

You could always make it consume an FoF and make it be instant cast.