Frost could be a legitmate tank

Literally all it needs is a armor/threat modifier and its good to go.
The kit almost looks like it was designed for tanking.

3 Likes

Maybe if Remorseless Winter had a stackable armor mechanic like Bear druids, something like:
“Everytime Remorseless Winter damages an opponent, your armor increases by X amount, lasts 6 seconds.”

Idk

That’s because when DKs were first introduced, frost was the tank spec and Blood was a dps spec.

Blood dps was hilarious. I miss my little worms…

17 Likes

well yeah but that was like 10 years ago lol

Actually, in Wrath all 3 specs had the talents and abilities to tank or dps and were designed to be able to do either. In Cata Blizz made Frost and Unholy the dps specs and Blood the tank spec.

9 Likes

I remember Might of Mograine.

It make Obliterate hit like a truck at the cost of diseases that empowers it.

Good times.

3 Likes

Yeah. Cata really changed DKs around a lot. There was a really fun blood/unholy build that was nigh unkillable during LK.

Frost was primarily tank-focused and blood and unholy were primarily dps-focused. Even now I could tank on my paladin as ret. That doesn’t make it a good idea.

3 Likes

Ew gross.

1 Like

I actually enjoyed experimenting with different DK tank builds back then. The base kit had plenty to work with regardless of talents. The talents just made it more fun and thematic.

I loved DK back in LK. I still do. But there were some interesting builds to play with when DKs first came out.

1 Like

i think when MoP or WoD ended(whichever one came later), is when Blizzard decided DK’s are no longer allowed to have fun.

Like, even in MoP and WoD we had unique builds that were competitive.
One example being dual wield Unholy.

3 Likes

And nobody would enjoy frost immediately after, Except the like 4 people that think frost would be cooler as a tank opposed to a dps

3 Likes

It’s more that it was a nightmare to balance, so not worth the hassle

I mean I originally went it to dual wield tank…

But I’m now quite happy being a tornado of snow and steel.

3 Likes

No, all 3 could tank and blood was the go to tank for a lot of wrath.

2 Likes

People DPS as frost? I thought they PvP’d as Frost.

1 Like

Frost isn’t as weak as people try to make it seem like.

1 Like

Frost is alright.

… There are glaring issues that needs to be addressed like Unholy’s GCD bloat, Necrotic Strike not applying Death’s Due or Frost’s GA in general.

But

The spec is okay. It feels meh. But it performs okay.

2 Likes

I thought frost was best during Legion. Didn’t care for either frost or unholy through all of BfA, sadly. They’re both ok right now.

the way i remember the tank aspect was that you could tank in any spec provided you had the correct defense rating (435?) and were in frost presence. and hopefully took some tanky talents. for most raid guilds and 5 man content, you would see frost tanking, and for high end progression raid, you would see blood tanking. at some point, i want to say 3.3.3 they gave DW frost a 30% dps buff, and also made it so icy touch did mega threat to compensate for DW lack of threat. how much threat? you could taunt and a dk could just icy touch the boss back. this made frost an easy option for raids that needed a lot of threat for high dps.

1 Like