From Gilneas to Glory (Part 2)

Part 1

(Note: I realize in part one I said she has blond hair. This was, in fact, a mistake, and I edited it out. Leelinn is a brunette.)

Gilneas City, five years later…

The dagger’s point landed in the center of the makeshift target with a satisfying thwunk.

“Outstanding. In just a short amount of time, you have come so far.” A voice said from behind Leelinn Chase. She grinned. Her rogue instructor had said that last year. And the year before that. He really just wanted to get rid of her, and only put up with Leelinn because of the gold she brandished. But, Leelinn figured it was time she stopped being taught and started her career.

“Thank you for everything, Vincent. I think today is our last lesson together.” She told the man. Vincent McDonnell was easily the most skilled rogue in Gilneas, if a little bit shady. Relief dawned on his reedy face, but he tried to hide it. Leelinn pushed a gold coin into his palm.

“What are you going to do now, lass?” Vincent was talking to her, but he stared at the gleaming coin. Leelinn pursed her lips in thought. A smile bloomed on her face.

“I’m going to see the world, change it. And now, I know how.” The woman answered, and, not waiting for McDonnell’s answer, hurried off into the night rain. She hurried off into brighter future, despite the darkness.

The gryphon beat the air with it’s majestic wings. The gusts that carried it ruffled the creature’s golden feathers as they soared through fluffy white clouds, gliding over the landscape of the Eastern Kingdoms. Leelinn let the wind mess her dark hair up as she clung to the pommel for dear life. The height was nauseating, even for Chase, who typically didn’t mind heights. But, although the drop seemed to go on forever, it was exhilarating.

She clutched the necklace that Chendar had given her before she left, fingering the symbol engraved inside the silver locket. It was the paw of some creature, perhaps a wolf or a cat. A circle of miniscule crescent moons surrounded it. When the girl had asked why, all her brother had said was “The future is not comepletely unknown.” Like, what? Chendar had been getting more and more mysterious ever since he started delving into physic magic.

In the distance, Leelinn could just barely see the white stone walls of Stormwind, towering gates swung wide open. Mountains created just as effective walls around it, and the tiny little dots that were swarming the entrance turned out to be large groups of armed guards. The verdant Elwynn Forest and it’s bountiful farms disappeared, replaced by the huge statues of prominent figures in the Alliance set upon the stone bridge crossing the moats that weaved throughout Stormwind and connecting the gates to the city.

All of a sudden, a Gryphon Rider approached Leelinn and her mount.

“By decree of King Varian Wrynn, you are commanded to land in the gryphon nest to be inspected.” The rider said, lifting up her goggles to inspect the woman. “You’d best be wary in Stormwind, stranger. I don’t believe you’re from around here.” Leelinn only nodded, urging her gryphon down to where the other Flight Paths were being dispensed. When the animal landed on the wood, darkened and scratched from use, she dismounted, dusting herself off nervously. The Gilnean wasn’t supposed to be here. Frankly, she was astonished she had even managed to get past the Greymane Wall. Damnit, you ARE supposed to be here. This is your destiny! Destiny or not, her accent was surely going to draw unwanted attention.

The Flight Master arched an eyebrow at Leelinn’s arrival. A gnome stumbled up to her, scanning her with some device.

“No explosives, electronics, poisons or anything that would pose a threat other than those nasty looking daggers.” The short fellow said in a squeaky voice despite it’s apparent masculinity. The Flight Master nodded.

“Good. Identity, and reason why you have come?” He said to Leelinn, but behind those goggles he could have been talking to the rat who had revealed itself. She coughed awkwardly. This was the tricky part. For years Gilneas had been sealed off from the other human kingdoms, if she told them where she was born the questions would come like a flood.

“Leelinn Klaira Chase, I have come to use my skill in stealth and daggers for King and…” She inhaled. “Alliance.” The Flight Master’s eyebrows shot up at that, and sure enough, he questioned her accent. “I’m… I’m an orphan. I don’t know where I’m from, or why I talk like this, but I assure you, I am a loyal member of the Alliance, and isn’t that all that matters?” Her lie seemed to fool the man, and soon she found herself in the bustling streets of Stormwind.

Carts and wagons drawn by horses and other creatures drove past her, and children weaved throughout the assortment of people. Vendors advertised their products, women gossiped while shopping, and the shouts of the Auctioneers could be heard even while outside the Auction House. But Leelinn had no business in the Trade Quarter. What she sought was in the Old District.

The SI:7 awaited.