Friend of mine is being bullied via blacklisting

My friend had joined a guild, and then made a harmless joke in a group when out questing. Someone who was severly homophobic took the joke the wrong way, gave him heck, and then kicked him, and blacklisted him using a addon.

While that is fine and dandy for that one player/guild, this did not stop there as it should have. This person went to everyone on his friends list, and every guild he joined and spread lies and slander about him. The reason given was that he was a <>’ and was subsequebtly banned/kicked from every group, and he has been loosing all of his friends.

He didnt even do anything wrong. Is there a way for me to help him, or get him in touch with someone who can help him? Wow is very important to him, and this is not fair.

2 Likes

Not anything we can do, no.

We do not force anyone to associate with another player if they do not wish to. Public denouncements could be harassment, depending on the circumstances, but this sounds like it was all done person to person which is absolutely within their rights to do so.

8 Likes

I think I have an idea what the ‘joke’ was, and it didn’t involve this person being homophobic

Regardless if a reputation on a server hits rock bottom, either extensive time or server hopping are your only real options, and it sounds like it hit rock bottom pretty hard

If this person is individually talking to others, and they’re accepting the communications willingly, there’s not much to be done, bit different than going into Trade and spamming things about someone

8 Likes

Can he do a server xfer or name change?

IDK the whole story but any add on that accelerates a bad reputation faster than the normal channels would shouldn’t be allowed.

It’s a harassment add on to harass harassers.

Shouldn’t be allowed.

Where were it stated an add on was used? The op started the other party gone to each person and talk th different parties.

Literally the first paragraph.

7 Likes

No one is free from the consequences of their actions or other’s. Regardless if it’s morally justified by society.
Word will get around if needed. With or without an UI add-on.

1 Like

If I had to guess, not 100% guaranteed. Next week when BG’s drop, maybe realm transfers will open up to full realms again.

Just me speculating, sorry he’s going through that tho!

If it gives you any peace, some guy ninja looted binding of windseeker (a rogue). He gets laughed at still and a running joke on the server. But he’s found a new raiding guild that has taken him in and is raiding normally.

There are 2 sides to every story.

I saw a guy in /world saying some guy ninja looted him. When I reached out to the one being accused, he wasn’t even in a dungeon, that player left his group because he couldn’t get HOJ on reserve lol.

Although things may look bleak at the moment, I think your friend will be okay:). Unless he blatantly ninja loots, players usually don’t care who or what is in their pugs, nor their past.

Lot of guilds have edgy humor too, not that I support it, but he can find people that best fits his personality.

Best of luck to you and your friend! People won’t be remembering this by the time he logs in again if I had to guess, classics a big world!

What do you consider a reasonable time frame for a bad reputation to spread? What are the “normal” channels?

If you think an add-on should be looked at, then post in the appropriate forum or open a ticket to explain. I would highly suggest you leave out hyperbole, and stick to the add-on functionality and why you think it should be broken.

Regardless, until it is broken, people are free to use it to let others know when someone does something they feel is not socially acceptable. It’s up to the other players to make their own determination.

These are not available in Classic. They want to allow server transfers, but it’s not been announced when or if it will happen.

Very true.

OP, the advice I’d give your friend is to live his life and keep his head down. Eventually, the people spreading it will get bored and over time, he can rebuild his reputation.

Blizzard has stated that they want community and server reputation to be important in Classic. Hopefully, this is a lesson learned.

7 Likes

The addon carries over onto other servers, I would link it, but links arnt allowed to be posted. He tried going to a different server to get away from it, and this person isn’t letting him.

The addon is called ClassicBlacklist.

The offender is doing this deliberately to harm him. WOW is all he has, it’s his social life, he pays for this, and can’t join a group, not even a guild, but a group, like for a dungeon, and no one will accept him. He can’t play anything except solo content, and even then, you need help with some quests. I’m not the best player, I can’t help him with everything.

My friend is nothing but a really nice guy. I’ve never heard him say anything bad to anyone. It makes me so sad that this is even happening!

That’s all well and good, but as long as it runs through Blizzard’s LUA interface, no one is going to get in trouble for using it as intended.

It’s possible that Blizzard could break the add-on if they don’t like it.

And likewise, other people pay for this game just like him, and they get to choose who they group with, and they deserve an environment free from certain kinds of “jokes”.

That’s the prerogative of the other players, and quite frankly, the consequences of his actions/comments. Again, Blizzard wants people to consider the social ramifications when it comes to Classic.

4 Likes

Im confused because i dont believe there is a way to track people to a different server since there are no achievments/pet tab in classic, so unless hes using the same name and telling everone he got blacklised it should be a fresh start.

3 Likes

Reputation matters in Classic. That means pretty much everything you do will be judged.

Then

Means your friend was in the wrong and should have known whom he was speaking to before he said it. I will act one way in guild Discord with guild members. If it is our raid and we pull some in, I won’t change. However if I join somebody else, I am a different person. My public persona comes out so to speak.

Why should they have? Like stated above reputation matters in Classic.

I took the time to put in bold the part that you directly contradicted in your very first sentence.

I could go on and on, but it would just be pointing out inconsistencies in what you have said in this post alone and reiterate that server reputation matters.

Sounds like your friends has a lot of bridges to mend, or reroll.

4 Likes

To clarify, the person who blacklisted him went to other guilds my friend joined and spread lies and slander. I sometimes forget to make sure what I write is super clear, and can be confusing when I dont mean to be. I understand the reputation matters part. I’m trying to not give away much about my friend’s personal life, while also giving as many details as I can.

I apologize if I am confusing. I’m also not trying to be annoying. I’m sorry if I am.

Thank you for clarification on this as well.

I don’t think anyone thinks this. I think you are trying to help your friend. I am sorry you don’t like the answers you have received, but they are the proper answers. As best I can tell, no rules have been broken. And the addon works because Blizzard allows it to work.

I do wish your friend the best of luck, but they seriously need to consider that everything they do (pitching a fit over not getting loot, ninja looting, helping somebody with a quest even though they have already finished it, and literally anything else you can possibly think of) absolutely matters in Classic.

Like I said, if it is THAT bad for your friend, they can start over on a new server, with a new name. As best I know, there is no way to track cross server with a new name. Fresh start

4 Likes

That is their right, as is the other guild’s right to listen and react however they wish. Personally, if I’m a guild leader, I’d listen but also judge on how that person has acted in the interim.

But I always believe in giving someone a chance, and a second chance.

5 Likes

It’s rough, but if what is being spread truly is “lies and slander”, time will work in his favor. Not everyone uses this ClassicBlacklist addon. Not everyone accepts entries in it blindly. Not everyone listens to rumors. Not everyone believes everything they’re told. Over time, those who aren’t quick to judge will make their own decision about your friend.

It’s not going to be less rough getting through it now, though. You say he has been losing friends, but really, people who reject him based on rumors alone weren’t good friends to begin with. (The best weapon against lies and slander is truth, and friends would be telling the truth of what they know of him to counter that.)

Here is one thing to consider, though. You’re defending him A LOT, insisting that he has done nothing wrong, he made a "harmless’ joke (which obviously caused harm), and trying to diminish the person who got upset by calling them severely homophobic.

It is very hard to do, but instead of defending “a harmless joke”, perhaps your friend could try to take a little responsibility for the joke and for not taking the time to adequately know their audience before making it.

9 Likes

This should end well.

1 Like

I’m not really clear on what you’d like Orlyia (who is not a GM) to do about people not wanting to play with someone.

2 Likes

Where is the fine line? I absolutely would refuse to work with someone I’ve had bad experiences with. I absolutely have had someone removed from raid over it, back when I was in a progression raid.

1 Like