FRESH-ISH: One man's attempt to reignite Grobbulus

I know there is close to no chance this happens, but I’d like to try anyway.

I think Grobbulus is the ideal server to attempt a F R E S H of our own making. I’ll explain.

Expected official F R E S H

Many people say, and I agree, that Blizzard won't be launching a new vanilla Classic product until early 2024, and we'll get announcements about this at Blizzcon in November. That's quite some time away, and I think those of us who crave fresh, and weren't captured by hardcore, might enjoy Grob in the mean time.

Server types and current populations

All other realms except for two others are connected to each other. Grobbulus is not. The server is mostly dead. I was leveling this character there and never got a full list of 50 people in my /who on Alliance. I do know there is one guild there who raids Naxx weekly, and they would definitely derail this plan a small bit, but that's just how things go.

Whitemane and Mankrik connected realm groups are very developed as of this moment. There are a lot of full BIS players and the economy is very saturated through the natural course of play and botting. The inflated economy sees items in GDKP going for tens of thousands of gold in some cases. Not that I support GDKP, but it’s a way to see how inflation is behaving.

Not Fresh but not Rotten

The server is fully developed as all era servers are. There are many things that almost entirely invalidate Molten Core as a progression step (ZG, AQ20, PVP, etc)

This is entirely under the control of Blizzard. The only thing we can do about this is play private servers or attempt to make a fresh of our own until Blizzard makes moves of their own.

Bots, transfers, griefers, GDKP

*If we succeed in refreshing Grob, will...*

Bots show up? Of course, as they do in every Blizzard product since Blizzard has been making games.
People transfer their fully geared chars to Grob? Almost certainly. You and I know the behavior of WoW players. They’ll show up to grief, there’s nothing we can do about that.
GDKP become a thing? Yes, as long as behavior in WoW continues unabated, GDKP will always happen.

How can we succeed with this?

I certainly don’t have the power nor the social finesse to relaunch Grob on my own. It would require guild leaders who have social influence, popular players throughout Classic, and probably some amount of virality.

But, I have to try.

https://discord.gg/ZtDN3NQyf

I’ve made an extremely simple discord that literally has General text and General voice. This is nothing more than a rallying point to see if there’s interest in starting fresh on Grobbulus.

If you have ANY social power in this game; a guild leader, a community leader, a popular player on servers, a streamer and you share the same desire to attempt some form of F R E S H until we get official fresh from Blizzard, please join the discord.

To the Naysayers

C'mon man. Let me dream. Maybe even help me make this a reality?

Thanks y’all.

PS: The server is so dead, there’s a lot of great names available!

Here’s the Reddit post I made, but I think they instantly removed it.
Having trouble getting a post made without it being instantly removed. I’ll edit this if I succeed.

Mirroring reddit link
https://old.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/16i0az9/freshish_one_mans_attempt_to_reignite_grobbulus/?

11 Likes

As someone who is really thinking we need a fresh server I’m at odds with this. One one hand it doesn’t solve the problem, and may just add to Blizzards neglect. On the other hand I suppose I’m willing to try it. That being said, I’m also looking at going back to kronos. At least that’s a true vanilla project and they cycle the damn servers.

First, let me thank you for being the guy who allowed me to find missing characters.

Second, I’m just clawing in my attempt to get SOME version of Fresh.

Deep down I really wish Blizzard would just launch a single set of fresh servers, but my sway over Blizzard is even more miniscule than my sway over a community.

This is a little ambiguously worded. There are 3 RP realms in the North American region along with 6 clusters. All RP realms and clusters are cross-realmed together only for the purposes of battlegrounds. For PvE/trades/guilds/etc, players are only able to interact with others in their native realm or the realms to which they have been permanently linked via realm connections, effectively merged.

the bluepost detailing those permanent connections follows below:

Players on Old Blanchy and Atiesh can trade/guild/raid/etc with each other, but a player from Atiesh cluster won’t be able to interact with someone from Earthfury outside of a battleground.

I did not know this, thank you!

1 Like

I believe you can do it!

The OC server, Remulos, is slowly repopulating, we even have our first couple of recorded 40 man raids again! (with 25~ish people, lol). We are a stand-alone server as OC realms are not connected to the NA clusters (except for in PvP, as Despitebeing was helpful to point out), and it’s been an incredibly journey. Not for everyone, you can’t AH matts you really need for quests or professions, but a very community orientated experience.

Something to be aware of though, you need a group of people really dedicated to sticking it out. The people who were on Remulos when it was 10 people strong have cycled through many comers and goers before they reached this point.

3 Likes

Yeahhhh. I have exactly zero friends in WoW Classic. I play the game alone, not by choice!

I just log on to era/hardcore and I find myself sitting there dreaming for a fresh Christmas.

So I had to try.

2 Likes

Q1 2024 is in two weeks.

Edit: Ah, do people just use calendar quarters, then? Even when talking about quarterly financial stuffs?

Well, I certainly respect the attempt. Made an attempt at something similar myself, with a much smaller group. Tried to get a group together to level through some content that had already been obviated without over gearing or out leveling it. I assume I don’t have to spell out how that went. As much as people throw Tantrums about it, we need artificial limitations. If only to feel as if we have accomplished something.

No. I’m a wage worker so I don’t actually know what financial quarters are lmao

I’ll edit it down to my social level haha hold on.

Yeah. I’m just at the point now where I just don’t feel like playing these developed servers. I just kind of browse reddit and wait for fresh. So I had to at least try this even though it will almost certainly fail.

RP-PVP is the way, I would definitely support this and play there.

1 Like

That’s pretty much where I am. I’ll log in and then logoff shortly thereafter. Maybe I’ll just unsub and get into Starfield or finally finish Odyssey till they open a fresh.

you can easily fake a fresh server with an addon community that commits to only interacting with each other. kind of like the HC addon but without the HC :expressionless:

Not all fiscal years are the same. A lot of governments (including the US Federal and most states) use Oct-Sep fiscal years, but companies are all over the place. Businesses tend to end their fiscal year after the highest income period. For example, retailers are usually after the holidays (Target is Feb-Jan). Activision Blizzard aligns with the calendar year, so Q1 2024 isn’t until January.

1 Like

Be pretty cool if I/we/someone could get that dev to make a “Fresh” addon.

That’s a damn good idea. Sorta? Maybe?
It would be a real shame to fill the home of the Grobb Mob with people who aren’t down with grobbing and mobbing.

People fought hard to get a RP-PVP server at launch(it wasn’t planned).
And people are slowly coming back to Grobbulus already. As you said raiding is active.

The fact it has a small dedicated population already could be a bonus.
Not like keeping 60s/raiding off entirely could have been policed anyway.

But ideally people would respect the tag and a lot did not with HC on Bloodsail which was sad to hear but not surprising.

Between Grobb becoming the next big bandwagon for every dopamine addicted raid spammer and staying a quiet refuge.
I’d keep the quiet refuge.

4 Likes

How many raids are running on Grob atm?

I’;ve learned over the course of over a decade … nothing will be done by a human hand to solve in game the problems that have plagued wow for years and slowly rotting it. I’m just chilling messing around until a new mmo comes out thats worth my time. Currently i dont even pay my sub its farmed /shrug.

I dont think ill ever play classic but good luck my dude. You are passionate about it and im happy for you. Hope it works

Had some time to come back to this thread.

It would be cool if this server took off, and people at least respected other people who like the server type for what it is supposed to be. RP-PVP can be very fun, don’t knock it until you spend your evenings in epic battles to control Blackrock Mountain for no particular reason. Would love for there to be enough people to make it happen.

2 Likes