Freezing of screen (GPU crashes) retail and classic

Still happening to me, though less frequently since disabling AA. Still extremely frustrating and making the game very unenjoyable wondering if this is the week I wipe us because blizzard can’t support the platforms they say they do. I don’t more what else to do at this point besides quit since no one from blizzard is responding.

Still happening with 10.15.7 and the new drivers it brought. WTB actual support.

I’m going to test something with an AQ40 raid tonight. Typically, it’ll crash after a while, but the last time I got this issue, Discord actually crashed first. So, I’ve turned off the Hardware Acceleration feature of Discord. Either I’m going to find that it doesn’t matter at all and it’s still WoW causing the DumpGPURestart or other systems asking for the GPU for acceleration might be causing some other underlying issues. Worth a shot, I suppose. Just found it interesting that Discord’s GPU Helper crashed before WoW started having issues. :man_shrugging:

I think you might be onto something with the Discord helper. I finally gave up last week and formatted my Mac, did clean installs of first Catalina and then the Big Sur Beta with only WoW, Discord, and Chrome. I have experienced exactly two crashes since and in both instances Discord was open and died first. Obviously anecdotal but maybe something to explore.

Interestingly, when the crash happened under the Big Sur beta, my machine (which typically requires a hard restart) recovered and dumped me back to a login prompt.

Now, I ran dungeons last night (off-raid night) but I had Discord loaded in the background the entire night and had no issues. Raids are where I tend to have problems, so we’ll see if load by Discord and asking for the GPU for acceleration might have anything to do with it. Like I said, worth a shot. The only saving grace in all of this is thank goodness I’m not a MT. This would be a big problem if I was.

Well, I got through an entire AQ40 raid last night with no crashes. I have some AQ20 scheduled for tonight, so we’ll see if the trend continues. Small sample size, but positive direction pointing.

I am getting a consistent game freeze EVERY TIME we start the fight with ossirian the unscarred in aq20. Game freezes for a good 5-10 seconds. Fine when I am on my hunter, but last night I was on my priest and when the game unfroze several people were dead. This encounter is a guaranteed freeze for me, while I had zero problems clearing aq40 a half hour before. Any ideas on how to fix this? (the entire computer seemed to lock up, so I was unable to communicate via discord that I was unable to heal).

Tried disabling hardware acceleration on every other app I use (discord, teams, firefox) and made no difference, still get the same 10 sec stutters and then a gpu restart.

Since people suspect it may be related to discord… you may have to try a raid without using it at all. If the freeze still persists, you’ve potentially eliminated discord as the culprit. If there is no issue, you may have found the culprit.

Not really practical and I don’t really suspect it, this only happens when playing WoW.

FWIW, I did my second raid last night (AQ20 and parts of ZG) and the only issue I had was a spinning ball that was related to a HID event, according to the log. No issues with the GPU. I have another set of 40 person raids tonight in BWL and MC that should say more under larger loads.

Been through a few raids now and I can say that I’ve no longer ran into any issues with the GPU resetting. At least for me, turning off the GPU acceleration in Discord seems to be keeping WoW from needing to be reset. I’ve been through multiple AQ40/AQ20/BWL/MC raids now over the last two weeks and I’ve not had a single crash. Take with a grain of salt, because I know Big Sur did take a beta update during that time too, which could have upgraded the video driver. I haven’t checked that information yet.

I will say it happens far less frequently since disabling hardware acceleration on every app I could find it enabled on. Still occurs but not nearly as game ruining as it was.

FWIW, I had my first GPU crash in the last two weeks, however, I also realized I forgot a Chromium-based web browser in the background that was running a GPU helper too. It’s almost as if you run anything else with a GPU helper and WoW and all of a sudden, the GPU system decides to crash and reset.

One thing to add to help others is make sure you disable acceleration in the launcher if you keep it open. Since I did that and the other apps I have been ok. Still too early to say if that is the true fix but the amount of times it has happened is dramatically improved.

1 Like

Whoa tyvm! I didn’t realize this is a thing…game is now running far better than it has in a very long time.

I’d completely missed the updates to this thread so hadn’t tried turning off Discord hardware acceleration, so I can say that this isn’t fixed in OS 11.0.1.

I’ve turned off Discord acceleration now, so hopefully that does indeed solve it!

Aaand the system just froze again, even with Discord hardware acceleration disabled. I think I may have had Safari running in the background but I can’t say for sure.

Just adding my spinning beach ball as well.

Playing in low-res mode (1440p). Frame rates constant 60fps. But then the dreaded freeze and need to force-quit.

3.5Ghz iMac 27" MX290X (2GB) 24GB RAM. SSD. Big Sur.

I had a similar issue. Disconnect the HDMI cable and reconnect, if that fixes the problem then it has to do with some settings in the OS. I Called apple and they told me to re-install the OS by holding the power button on boot and clicking options. From there just re-install OS(DOn’t reformat, just re-install system files). After I did that the problem went away.

1 Like