Freedom of speech

Mine is of my Fiance and I at Christmas time like… 7 years ago lol

Businesses do have inherent rights that protect them from people. You cannot, for example, rob and trash an outlet store just because you want to. The government will enact/participate in the company’s right to prosecute press charges and hold you accountable for your actions. Some of this however, is getting shuffled off onto just making corporate insurance providers cough up money to make things go away, which is wild in itself.

Likewise, if a company contaminates your food with poor handling practices, the government upholds the human’s right to seek lawsuits and financial compensation for harm done.

Companies have just as much ethical obligation to protect consumer’s rights as proctecting their shareholder/stakeholder’s interests. There in lies the rub.

Can someone just take one for the team and post a link or something?

Its maldivas twitter.

1 Like

This is still going on?

Guy controls his own actions and did it to himself, sucks to suck

Hmm I was responding to these:

Which I took to mean, that pertaining to someone who just purchased the game? The ToS, Eula and CoC have not changed since the day I agreed to them 18 years ago.

This whole thing has been misconstrued and has nothing to do with the normal World of Warcraft game in the first place. Dude violated terms he agreed to regarding competing in Esports.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fx-jMEPXwAABb0K?format=jpg&name=large

You could be right, but that isn’t the company’s problem. You agreed to abide by their terms whether you read them or not.

This is your own personal problem? If you are so concerned about your “freedoms” you would take the time to read the terms you are agreeing to before you enter that company’s platform. So, you’re so worried about taking a few minutes out to read something you, you just blindly agree to it because your friends will call you a nerd? Then you get upset if you do something that can get you banned?

Ok…
:dracthyr_tea:

I don’t believe that companies actually do have the right to prosecute you for shoplifting. The right to prosecute for a criminal offense belongs solely to the government, hence why it’s legal for certain places to make laws where shoplifting is not a criminal offense. They do have the option to sue you for reimbursement of damages, which is where the corporate insurance comes in (it’s cheaper and easier to just file an insurance claim than to sue someone over a few hundred dollars of merchandise).
And again, your last statement refers to people. I’d love to know where you stand on the utilitarian idea of corporate social responsibility - does the corporation have more of an obligation to its shareholders than to its consumers? Also, you used the word “stakeholders” but in this context, both shareholders and consumers are a corporation’s stakeholders. At what point does the obligation to a specific group of stakeholders (the shareholders) become more important than the obligation to another (the consumers) and even others (employees, communities, wildlife) and vice versa?

Thanks for posting this, so just to clarify, he was not banned from WoW only from competing in WoW esports events. I wasn’t sure because the AWC rules do state that blizzard reserves the right to suspend your game license if you violate any of the AWC rules.

3 Likes

Okay - say I run a small coffee shop. Someone decides to post up and start reading, out loud, graphic descriptions of intercourse. This makes people uncomfortable and they start leaving, and I therefore start losing business. Under your ideals, am I just SOL, because asking them to leave or stop would infringe upon their inherent right to free speech?

“Truth is treason in an empire of lies.”

He posted that picture on his twitter, but ok.

Sure, and which part of that did he violate?

Well you would be wrong. You can say whatever you want as long as the platform is okay with it. (Forums, papers, sites). But yes if I own the business and you’d try to come in and hijack it with things that I don’t Want to be associated with… I would shut you down because it’s my platform, not yours.

I understand how you feel but you don’t have the right to take over what you dont own just because you feel strongly about something.

This isnt a morality thing, this is a simple ownership. If people said things you don’t want to be associated with on your property. You have every right to kick them off and ban them… Even before they step foot

Before I changed it… it was me… with a hat… and my “I am smiling” look on my face.

1 Like

Nope! This would violate the Miller Test, and especially if there are or may be presumed to be minors in the area, it is illegal for them to do that and you are free to call the police and have them trespassed. But again, this is a criminal issue and the law exists not to protect your business but to protect the right of free enjoyment without disturbance to any individuals in your coffee shop who are becoming uncomfortable. The idea is that it is for the benefit of society and the people within it for us not to allow this type of behavior. You would be hard pressed to recover any actual damages against this person if you decided to sue rather than trespass them.

1 Like

well thing is they can and do alter the TOS depending on the country as long as those countries are not E.U. canada and united states. dont believe me you can easily find the TOS for each nation.

This isn’t an argument
The only way its an argument is if you read the Terms of Service and there’s wording in it that is ‘clearly meant to mislead’ - heck, you even have to scroll down to the very end of the terms of service before you can accept them, you not reading them is on your head

First of all, when there’s a change you are requested to accept it unless its during one of the time periods in which you have agreed to read it yourself to keep yourself up to date

Secondly, this is one of those things where you are responsible for it yourself but if it is worded strangely there can be course to have your contract (not the contract all together for everyone else) be nullified in a court if the court sides with you

And again, a two-part thing:
First of all, refunds are legally protected in some countries and that’s something that Blizzard has gotten flak for before as well, but if its allowed to not offer a refund in your country then the business doesn’t have to - sorry but that’s how laws work

Secondly, and why Steam is a terrible example … they have a refund policy - you follow the policy, you can refund, you don’t follow it, you can’t

And none of that is relevant - if you want to play the game, you have to accept the terms of services that comes with it; you can’t or won’t do that, you can’t play the game or have access to it depending on what sort of game that you are playing and what you have actually bought

1 Like

Yes. A business should have the right to refuse service/ask to leave someone they don’t want there.

We… do…

Say you own a business and hire me. Two weeks later, you invite me out to dinner and at that dinner, completely separate from any business dealings, you find out that I am a Republican. This upsets you because you are a staunch Democrat. Is it morally correct for you to fire me because you disagree with my viewpoint, even though it has no bearing on your business?

Okay fine, take away the indecency part. They’re just listening to music really loudly, with the same effect. Or coming into my business and campaigning for some politician, to the point where it’s bothering and driving away customers. Do you think that I would have zero right to have control over who is in my store, and what they can say, even to the point where it affects my ability to run the business effectively and profitably?