Framerate crash in spires of ascension

I have no idea why, but the sky in spires of ascension makes my framerate drop to 5 frame a second. The only way it is playable is if I have literally all graphics at lowest or disabled settings and point my camera down to the ground. All other content I have normal framrates and no issues. I have a 2020 21 inch mac desktop, 16 gigs ram, pretty damn good computer. Is there anyone else having this issue, and what can I do about it?

yeah, absolutely. I dickered around with various settings and it helped a little, it did. but the big one was to change how many pixels were being rendered. using an imac with that (silly) retina screen is a massive amount of pixels. basically I cut it in half with the slider. from 4096x2304 to 2048x1152. that (and a very small quiet fan pointed at the hotspot on the case) essentially took care of it. It’s still a lot of pixels to render but it seems to handle it.

2019 (intel) imac, 32 memory, laptop radeon gfx card

EDIT: so like I did try many things before this, putting the view distance on the floor (manually each time) did help. but as I wrote, the big one was cutting the render load with that slider.

thanks i will try that i guess

This is a windows and mac issue, and WELL documented by internet. Have even forwarded taht documentation with repro steps and everything to two diff people at blizzard. The problem is they are just so far behind on everything else that actually fixing stuff like bad performance seems to be a low priority for them. I’ve sent in even more reports recently with hitching and performance drops with streaming in assets on 9.x client for both BCC and retail and those probably won’t get looked at for many many months (if ever).

not because they don’t care but because they are understaffed and overworked in engine department because they handle so many games and projects with only a tiny team.

thanks for the info, seriously! I understand the understaffed issues for sure. But I still wonder: It has something to do with the sky. Was it some mistake being made with the amount of layers and/or polygons used in the instance? If I point the camera max distance and straight down at my character, the frame rate instantly goes back to normal. It’s so weird. Especially because the sky is pretty non-descript, and it doesn’t do it in the open world…