Forsaken and "mad science" inspired constructs

Should the Forsaken expand their mad science in the field of creating creatures? Maybe they could create their own version of Wights, Plague Spreaders, Gluth, Grobbulus, Thaddius, or Festergut/Rotface.

The Forsaken have the whole Frankenstein thing going on with our Abominations but should they go further?

Obviously I think they should.

7 Likes

give me frankenstein fun its what i deserve in this horrible game

1 Like

I kinda think the forsaken are losing their mad scientist theme post BfA.

Yes. Definitely.

That’s one of their most unique aesthetics! With Sylvanas, and, presumably, the Val’kyr contracted to her leaving, it is a great opportunity for the Forsaken to be inspired to innovation to, if not shore up their numbers directly, create things that will protect the numbers they do have.

Additionally, absent the very “top down” style of Sylvanas, we could see some macabre variety in what they come up with.

4 Likes

Well I think Derek Proudmoore was a continuation of the Stillwater experiments, but we didn’t get to see the results. Perhaps that seed might florish and bear some fruit in the future.

The Forsaken seem to be able to make any kind of flesh construct (which suits the mad scientist thing very well so I wish we saw more of it). Abominations are the most common type but they also have made larger flesh constructs of the Grobbulus type (left) and Festergut/Rotface type (right):

They had the Grobbulus type on one occasion (the Blight Aberration made by the traitor apothecaries in the Battle for Undercity):

Summary

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Blight_Aberration

They had the Festergut/Rotface type on three occasions (The Ray-Getz-Kalaba Monstrosity made by Warden Stillwater in the Sludge Fields, Gorerot in the Battle for Gilneas City, and the Cadaver Collage made by Calder Gray for the Crucible of Carnage):

Summary

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Ray-Getz-Kalaba_Monstrosity
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Gorerot
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Cadaver_Collage

I’d really like to see more of them and the type that looks like Thaddius too as long as they’re made with SCIENCE! and no soul shenanigans. I agree wights and the Gluth type suit them too.

4 Likes

In a pre-BFA world, it would have made sense. Now I’m not so sure.

Definitely. There were, well less rumors and more speculations, about a future tinkerer class. One such spec was minion based DPS class that’d throw robots at you and I remember thinking

“Man if there’s a Forsaken version of that where you throw Dr.Frankenstein stuff at people Blizz will have made me a very happy man”

That’d be ideal but I’d be up for more flesh golems in general. In the Horde Darkshore bit you’ve to fight two building sized ancients blocking your way and I really thought it was a missed opportunity to not have one of those gigantic constructs like the Hope Ender in Zul’Drak on hand to Kaiju fight the things.

Pacific Rim but with a fighty redwood and a gargantuan pile of meat, stitches and bolts sounds like a good time to me.

5 Likes

Right?

I was disappointed that we fought giant goblin mechs at Darkshore. In fact, it felt more like we were fighting dark steampunk goblins than Sylvanas’s Forsaken at the time. We definitely should have been fighting huge flesh-construct things, which I admit never actually occurred to me, but we should have!

5 Likes

That would make me sad. It probably went a little overboard at the beginning and should have been reined in just a tad, but it’s flavorful. If they’re getting rid of that just to play up the “sad deaders” angle … sigh.

1 Like

I don’t trust Blizzard to write sensible mad doctors without starting another faction war with WW2 parallels. Golden likes her sad zombies.

1 Like

Yeah all in all it was sort of odd the Forsaken were partnered with Bilgewater. Not that I have anything against Goblins, my mage is one, but the Forsaken don’t strike me as technologically challenged, unlike some other member nations of the Horde.

Honestly it should’ve been the Forsaken and Sin’Dorei teamed up in Arathi with some Nightborne and Mag’Har special guests. I still don’t know why the Forsaken were in Darkshore to begin with. They only have a whole specific army who’ve been fighting in Arathi for the past 15 years. Seriously still irks me the Defilers only came up in Alliance controlled Arathi as canon fodder NPCs. Wouldn’t even let the Black Bride be one of the commanders. Total waste.

Seriously. My main alt is an Unholy DK because to the surprise of no one I adore the necromancy and plague angle. But I’d be having a lot more fun with it if it was more mad science than dark magic themed.

I mean they already have with Calder Gray. Who was a nice enough dude that the Druids of Mt.Hyjal didn’t mind him turning up to aid in the defense. Which he was doing purely out of the kindness of either his heart or maybe some other one he has in a jar. He notes his frustration with fire elementals since he cant really work with their remains.

4 Likes

I think the mad science could be applied to the scientists themselves. Why wouldn’t an undead mad scientist experiment on themselves. After all Putricide turned him self into a hulking, tentacle sprouting monstrosity at the end of his fight.

Just imagine the possibilities a Frankenstein like scientist would have in this world, with themselves and their creations. Why wouldn’t I implant Nerubian limbs to myself? Oh a sample of G’huuns rot? Let’s make constructs of rot and mold.

Let’s have fun with it.

I must admit that you have a point.

To be honest the utter lack of Forsaken at both Uldir and Mechagon annoyed me. The former is the most sophisticated research and development facility in the setting. It should by all rights make any self respecting Apothecary drool. I mean the Fetid Devourer was made by accident. Imagine what the likes of Gray could accomplish playing around with the things.

And in Mechagon in addition to the cutting edge scientific achievements you had the Mechagnomes themselves. The Forsaken are, emotionally and literally, the least attached to their organs and limbs. Why wouldn’t cyber augmentation catch their attention? Just one line of dialogue saying the necromantic energies made that difficult to do or something would be nice. The only reason there aren’t a bunch of Forsaken stomping around like General Grievous right now seems to be just because the idea never crossed Blizz’s mind.

2 Likes

I always thought that the Blood Elves should have scavenged Taloc’s remains and the Forsaken should have gone for the G’huun related stuff. It’s a shame the Forsaken didn’t and won’t have anything to do with a god of rot, pestilence and decay.

1 Like

In general it was odd Brann Bronzebeard led you on the aftermath of that story. It’d been a pretty Horde story centric raid and it’s odd to me neither the Zandalari nor any of their allies took interest in the Titan labratory in their backyard.

I get we needed M.O.T.H.E.R to turn up in the chamber of the heart but surely Magni, who works with everyone, could’ve sufficed. I thought maybe the Blue perspective would’ve featured the Explorer’s League as a big plot point to explain this but it was pretty much just “Well look at this place . You know what a Titan facility is, I know what a Titan facility is, so let’s bust in and get some treasure”.

The sad thing is I don’t think it’s difficult to write a nuanced Apothecary character. I have, and I am remarkably less talented than the writers Blizzard pays. Just make them an otherwise good person who does creepy experiments. They’re undead, they aren’t going to find mutilating corpses weird. That’s how they eat and beyond that in Tirisfal the corpses that can’t be raised or recycled are burned so necromancers don’t turn them into weapons. To a Forsaken you’re weird for wanting to just bury a perfectly good cadaver. It’s going to get torn apart anyway why let maggots do it when you could make something useful from it?

And yeah killing an otherwise healthy person specifically to surgically mutilate their dead body would be evil. But if they’re already dead, or dead because they tried to kill you, what’s the harm?