Former Cutting Edge player, returning, struggling to re-enter mythic, tips?

Hi, I’ve been back at the game for probably 3 or 4 months now. I’ve caught my character up. I have a near perfectly itemized 476 set on an Unholy Death Knight. I have a very long history of mythic raiding and a couple CEs in Legion. I started playing again with the intentions of pushing CE this patch, or progressing far enough in mythic that I could push for CE in Nathria.

I’m getting all blue and purple parses in heroic and lower mythic. I have logs from CE and mythic progression in Legion. I feel like I’ve applied to dozens of guilds over my time playing this patch, and I’ve been basically just bottomfeeding and stuck with guilds far, far below my skill level. I’ve been the best player in the last 3 guilds I’ve joined, and I’m really struggling to advance.

How can a player 3/12m look to advance? When I quit I was in a CE guild, I was surrounded by CE players, I had infinite resources for personal and group advancement. I legitimately have no clue how to advance in these middle brackets anymore. I’ve hit the limit of how hard I can push in M+ in PuG groups, it’s purely inefficient for me to PuG or play solo at this point. I’m at the point where the biggest factor in my parses and dungeons aren’t me. I’m trying to improve any failure I make, but at this point I’m feeling held back by lack of voice coms and consistent groups for m+, and grey and greenparsing players in raid making kill times bad.

What makes an appealing raider for a guild in that 7-12/12m bracket? How can I differentiate myself? I’ve played at the top end, I feel like I’m playing out of my mind this patch, and it seems like there’s very little I can do to move forward.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I move forward?

I’m on an alt because I’m trialing in a guild. It’s the same story as the rest, I join and I’m imediately top 3 in the guild on allstar and DPS. This has been the case for every guild I’ve joined this expansion.

I really hope this doesn’t come across as just being an ego freak. I’m getting generally frustrated with my lack of progression and want to do whatever it takes to move forward and upward on the ladder.

Just to set your mind at ease here, we maintain a low trolling factor in this forum. So long as a post is genuine, none of the regulars here would take it that way.

~~

Having never played at the Cutting Edge level, there’s not too much I can suggest here except to keep applying to different guilds. The hardest thing in this game in my experience is finding the right guild for you. This is true across the board from people looking for social experiences, all the way up to Mythic raiding.

Depending on what server you are on however you might want to consider a realm transfer to someplace with a more active mythic raid scene and larger pool of guilds to choose from.

I’m unsure what the guild situation is like on your server but you are likely to find that at this point in the expansion ask the high up CE guilds already have finished and are either farming or just in a holding pattern until SL. There’s still a few late comers (like my guild) deep into mythic and hoping to nab CE before SL.
Coming from that perspective I would say your biggest issue is being a DK. Nya heavily favours ranged in almost every fight and DKs aren’t anything special as far as melee goes. My guild has a bench full of melee players and we get melee fairly regularly applying and they’re all told the same thing, you’ll be a bench warmer 90% of the time.

If you are happy to write off Nya then wait for the pre patch and start looking again when most guilds will be looking to bolster their rosters again. Otherwise keep looking and good luck.

1 Like

Depending on what faction and server you are on, there may not be any CE capable guilds available without a transfer.

If you’re willing to server transfer, I’m in a guild that’s progressing CE right now they’re 11/12 they raid Tuesday and Wednesday 7-11pm Eastern time.

Guilds leader is on Firetree along with most of the members, the guilds name is ONE.

I think they’re currently looking for ranged dps/healer hybrids at the moment but guild leader doesn’t turn away people who are serious about the game