Forest Troll Race/Customization Megathread

All of the OP’s post, plus THIS!

(edit: commending the OP for such a well-thought out and eloquent, necessary post. Thank you!)

3 Likes

I actually made a thread like this, but it was just for regular trolls not Forest trolls.
Having a Night Warrior questline for trolls would be fun though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope Forest Trolls become a Playable Customization Subrace for the Trolls. That way the Horde too can get that Iconic Identity back from the Warcraft RTS Games atleast in Warcraft 2.

3 Likes

It’s not really a transformation concept so much as an “unlockable customization while learning lore” basically; it’d give lore people are wanting even if via a few short questlines, maybe to tie up loose ends and all!

1 Like

Oh… I guess I should’ve made it a bit less ritualistic. When I made my thread I was thinking there would be an option to change your character’s appearance after doing the quest, but otherwise you’d do it and your troll character would change into a Bwonsamdi-inspired troll. (The options would be randomized though) It wouldn’t be permanent since you could change it at the Barber shop, but I still think it would be interesting

As a person who’s kind of interested in the lore, I’d love it :slight_smile:

But would the Lore have to relate to the customizations you’d unlock after doing it ?

2 Likes

Yeah pretty much! Like here let me give you the examples I gave for San’layn:

I didn’t want to bring it up and spark a debate here, but let’s ignore what it’d be for (San’layn) and look at the basis of it.

While yes, for this particular instance, it would be a ‘transformation’ of sorts, the questions it poses are still relevant and can be twisted to apply to anything. Let’s use this logic to apply to Sand Trolls.

The quests would answer:
-How did a friendly faction of Sand Trolls come to join the Horde?
-Why did these Sand Trolls have an attitude change with the Horde? Did you help them in some way?
-What are their thoughts on the rest of the community, as naturally they clash with ideologies since they’re siding with the Horde?

Then, those well-versed in Forest Troll lore could come up with questions some lore situations would handle, a short quest chain, like the Night Warrior. In that case, these customizations would have an explanation and answer questions for players quite a bit. Some races would need a bit more explaining than others, like Sand Trolls.

It’d be like if Blizzard put work into golden eyes for blood elves instead of just giving them to us. New players don’t know this stuff. It wouldn’t have to be walled off by rep or anything like that, just a short and sweet questline and boom, unlockable goodies.

I guess the questlines could be optional too, but they’d explain how these different tribes (customizations) are brought to the Horde now and give those that care some good story bits.

2 Likes

I was thinking the remnants of the Farraki tribe would join. Aside from a tribe that only appears in a scripted event on an island expedition map, the Farraki tribe is the only tribe of sand trolls we’ve seen. We could have that island tribe join, but seeing as they don’t have a speaker or dedicated area in Dazar’alor, I don’t see them happening, my guess is that lorewise they going to be forgotten about, if they were ever cannon in the first place. A splinter faction of the Farraki could join as well.

There’s some Atal’ai that are seen using that same sand troll skin, and they’re jungle trolls, so it’s possible the skin isn’t unique to sand trolls, but I imagine those Atal’ai are a lore exception.

There’s also the idea of “Most of Eastern Kingdoms belongs to Alliance now, most of Kalimdor to Horde”, and if the Farraki joined up with the Horde it’d bring Tanaris under control of the Horde and help solidify that idea. My vote is to have the remnants of the Farraki join, instead of just a splinter faction.

This reason would want more explanation and depth. For one, the Zandalari who act as the central troll empire are in the Horde now, that would certainly help any troll tribe minus blood troll tribes’ reasons to join the Horde. There could be some warlord among the remnants of the tribe who’s Zandalari and/or Horde central who could unite the factions, that is if the Farraki broke up. The Farraki could also be feeling desperate and join the Horde as a last resort.

Other sand troll tribes could pop into existence too and join, but I don’t like that idea. There’s also the possibily that “sand-y” skin isn’t sand troll exclusive, but that’s based off what I presume to be a lore exception. If we do take the Farraki in, they hate the Horde, and with very good reason, so they’d want/need a more in depth explanation.

My vote, make the Farraki break up into splinter factions and have warlords vying for power, and one who’s more “accepting” of the Horde either joins, joins and conquers the others, or unites the tribes by warfare/diplomacy and then joins.

That last idea could be expanded on, let’s say both warfare and diplomacy are used, they join the Horde, and then some factions within aren’t happy about that and feel “betrayed”, and a civil war breaks out, and the questline involves either stopping that before it happens, or stopping it itself (though, that’s a big thing to stop in just one questline and it’s preferably short).

BfA was the perfect time to introduce forest trolls as playable. The one tribe of forest trolls already in the Horde is the Revantusk, who live in the Hinterlands, and with the war in Arathi they could’ve popped up and the Alliance could’ve tried to wipe out the Revantusk, which could’ve given story to the Hinterlands and more depth to the war. My ideas as to what we could do with the Revantusk questline, if there is one, is either help rebuild and/or find out what happened the Revantusk after/during that war in the Hinterlands, or hear someone from the tribe recount the war and we could play through the eyes of some Horde soldier fighting in the Hinterlands.

Maybe the tribe itself got wiped out and the remnants join in with the Darkspear, but I see that as very unlikely and I strongly dislike the idea myself, because I think a troll tribe would be too proud to take the remnants under the banner of another tribe, especially one so different, and because I wouldn’t like the Revantusk to be wiped out, since I like them.

Indeed, we could also do the questline for the Amani exclusively joining and/or the Amani joining and us doing something with the Revantusk. The Zandalari in the Horde now is a huge reason for the Amani to join. Maybe they’re desperate as well, and the same thing with the Farraki could happen with the Amani, a warlord of a faction conquers the other Amani factions and maybe some nearby tribe(s) like the Shadowpine. Seeing how Zul’aman is doing nowadays and possibly seeing Amani land outside of Zul’aman is something I would love.

Maybe at the end of the questline the Amani and Revantusk unite. Maybe, I’d rather both remain seperate, and that the questline revolves around both if there is one.

I would rather they be optional, so you don’t have to be max/high level to unlock them, and so returning/new players could immediatly have them. I dislike forcing stuff for customization. I, however, would do the questline immediatly, since I’d kill to see any lore or anything about the Revantusk/Amani.

I feel after writing this some areas of the post are lacking detail, so pardon any of those if you feel the same. I’m too lazy to reread the post at the moment.

2 Likes

All bow to the Zandalari. All tribes must join the Horde!

The Darkspear and Zandalari are probably the only tribes that aren’t near extinction right now

Even more reason for the remainders of other tribes to join forces.

There are literally high elf and silver covenant elves becoming void elves in the rift where void elves start. So yes, you can make more.

Only effectively confirmed (and no lore to actually say yet) with the velf customization.

Doesn’t change how few there were or the fact that it renders your argument void.

Get it? Void?

1 Like

High elves yes, and some from Silvermoon, but I see no SC elves in Telogrus.

It just says high elf wayfarer. They could be from the SC. But it’s not defined.

Bazgak made a good post regarding possible way(s) to implement sub-races, I feel it’s relevant here, so will link.

5 Likes

Bumpity bump!

So, we are all in agreement that Beards for Trolls are paramount

6 Likes

100% brother.

1 Like

Zandalari men should get beards too

3 Likes

Obviously, they are trolls as well!

3 Likes