Forced to change name when 80 others use it aswell

I got suspended for the name “Percocet” because it was “inappropriate” but a quick search through the Armory shows that there’s 80 other players who have the name as well as 3 guilds, so it’s obvious blizzard doesn’t have a problem with it, but somehow do this time around… What gives? Doesn’t seem like there was a “thorough investigation” in to the matter as the email says, if I get suspended and forced to change my name that so many others have as well, and haven’t had an issue…

1 Like

Absolutely false.

Someone else having the name doesn’t mean it’s ‘ok’ - it means it hasn’t been reported.

With the history of horrific names I see we’ve already changed on this account, I’d highly recommend you not make any more that run afoul of our rules - providing you wish to keep your license.

You cannot use the Armory for this purpose. It is entirely possible many of those HAVE been changed, and never logged in, or reported - renamed the same and just not reported again. If someone hasn’t logged in since a change - the Armory will NEVER change.

24 Likes

Often tone, meaning, intent, etc are misapplied to text, Squeej.

In avoiding doing so, I don’t find anything but factual information in the reply. It’s an accurate representation of truth, start to finish.

Having said that, I behooves one to foremost assume that’s all the post is before going on an offensive, skirting the forum CoC in the process.

As for the string of inappropriate names, that’s not personal information. Nothing about them personally identifies the OP.

11 Likes

Well, you have that right, but only in regards to your own remarks.

If someone does not want to be called out when they post false information, they should not post the false information. Correcting false statements is part of theri job. In this case the OP seems to think that Blizzard is only applying the rules to him with regard to his name. That is false, as Orlyia points out.

If someone wants to raise the issue of name actions (which is actually against the forum rules), they should be prepared to get a full and honest response - which may include discussion of the offense and related offenses. If someone wants that to be private, they can appeal via ticket.

Oh, and if you have an issue with a staff member, you can send an email

Forum Feedback

• To provide feedback on the performance of the community team, forum moderators, or MVPs, please email wowcmfeedback@blizzard.com.
11 Likes

I had to look it up… yeah, that’s not going to be allowed. It’s not horrible, but it’s not permitted. And a forced change would be in order. But suspended?

Ahh… now it’s becoming clearer. Sir, you need to pick a suitable name. I was concerned about this character’s name, since someone mantioned to me that it could be misinterpreted. I submitted a ticket (i.e. self-reporting) and the GM confirmed it was ok. If you’re not sure, you have that option. But please don’t try to pick a bad name and submit a ticket and hope it slides by. That’s NOT what self-reporting is for.

If you feel those characters and guilds should also have their names changed, please submit a report and Blizz will take action. Keep in mind, they won’t suspend a player for a first naming offense, but they may for a second or more.

While there is some merit to your privacy concern, she was also presenting to the OP the context in which the suspension was warranted. I don’t that that’s out of line and completely within the context of your issue.

2 Likes

It’s been noted, thanks for the response and have a good one

4 Likes

Failing to see where Orlyia did anything wrong there.

I have a friend that had a BAD name in Classic. Recall really bad. Told him to self report. He didn’t. It got reported. He got a name change. No suspension.

The suspension implies it was not the first time this happened. That implies the OP has been warned. That implies the OP did not care. I grt the impression multiple times. Thus one more warning

That is all.

Blizzard will not allow you, not you specifically, but the collective you, to push an agenda here. They shut it down quickly. As you can see.

5 Likes

I appreciate the attempts at ‘defending’ me but I will admit that I did have a few dumb names, and should’ve just kept this to the ticket system if I wanted privacy on the matter.

15 Likes

I have to say, I find this a commendable response. I find that anyone admitting that they did wrong is a sign of good character.

15 Likes

Thanks, I may not be to thrilled to be out for the next 2 days but I’ll admit when wrong doing was done.

18 Likes

I think that anyone here can understand that.

6 Likes

I will say tho that one of the two names was me requesting others to report due to spelling error, still a dumb name “Youremomsbf” which I got the first one day suspension from and the first one that was forced to be changed and not sure if I can repeat it here, but it was “A**blaster” not like it was anything racist, or sexist or along those lines, but definitely immature on my part… Not what I’d classify as “horrific” but I guess everyone has their own views on the world.

3 Likes

No real information has been disclosed

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m doing fine here, not like I was doxxed or anything just that I had a history of stupid names

5 Likes

A). Orlyia is not a GM and there are no GMs on this forum

B). The OP told us he had has a forced name change before. Perhaps not intentionally. However telling us he was suspended is all the info we needed

C). This is an information desk of sorts. Not a soapbox. Even the OP accepted the response and admitted culpability. Further the OP accepted responsibility and voluntarily offered more details.

This accomplishes a few things. If this thread comes up on a Google search of name change suspension there is more context. It adds to the information, directly from the OP no less.

The soapbox? Not so much

Edit. And while I am not egging on by any means, gonna follow the advice in the post above me and leave it be.

OP try something like fantasy name generator if you want some name ideas

I’m out of this one now though.

5 Likes

Fair enough.

2 Likes

Replying to a person who brings up their character name violation in public, with related information, is not a “data breach”. That is not private information.

What is private, is your real name, address, credit card information, etc. Blizzard does not share those private details in accordance with state and federal privacy laws.

14 Likes

As the OP I’d have to agree with everything Orlyia and MVP’s have stated, other than the “horrific names” comment, as I just find them to be immature instead of terrifying. No personal information has been put out in the public, I brought this conversation to a public forum and got a public response. It’ll help other people in the future not back up the ticket system if they are forced to change a name… Anyways I’m going to unfollow. Thanks for the responses and see you guys Friday.

22 Likes