For those of you avoiding retail, would you play retail content on pristine realms?

What a waste of time. You are wrong.

Unless they seriously retool the balance of the early game PvE content, then probably not. It’s brainlessly easy due to being designed to be very quickly chewed through for the sake of getting to the “real game” (i.e. expansion content) faster. So players are encouraged to focus on blasting through it and leveling up, and while they may socialize along the way, that is not a natural part of the gameplay loop the way it is with Classic–where the game’s challenge level actively encourages grouping up, asking for advice while playing in the moment (looking up a guide often just takes longer, since there’s someone RIGHT THERE who probably knows what you need to ask), and so on.

Retail can revitalize itself, but it would take much more work than just making “pristine servers.” They probably could do that, too, and it would help; but the base game and how the players interact with it in the normal course of gameplay also needs to be addressed.

1 Like

The power creep is real…like on the magnitude of 10x the vast power gap between people in full T3/Naxx gear while PVPing against people who are fresh 60s in a mixture of blues/greens.

People pushing high M+ keys and who clear Mythic raid bosses are the people who can do it…granted that’s not a high % of the player base…but it IS possible to solo the 5 mans when armed to the teeth like that.

That’s why they do a stat/item level squish every so often…and also why they are toying with a level squish down to 60.

Edit: Hell people were doing the same thing in Legion…tanks were so powerful with the abilities they had and self healing, they could run an entire dungeon without a healer at all…The game has been a joke regarding the class synergy for a VERY long time

2 Likes

That has nothing to do with why people don’t like retail. In my cricle of friends that has never come up once.

Lack of old talent system is probably the number one complaint among us.

Easy dungeons, leveling content being a joke is probably number 2.

Homogenized class design is pretty up there too. No one brings any unique buffs or skills anymore.

Lastly, professions are unimaginative and boring. BC had some BIS pieces for a number of classes with progressions and gave you something to work towards when you had downtime. Wrath had some great stuff too.

1 Like

Death knights existed in WC2. They were a form of undead raised by orcish necromancers. As far as I know, that’s the first appearance of death knights in Warcraft lore. It’s also what’s most consistent with the faction lore: death knights on Horde, and not on Alliance.

1 Like

they could’ve given dks to horde and dhs to alliance considering how most of them existed.

1 Like

Fair enough…my knowledge of the WC series isn’t as vast…most of what I knew came from WC3 so I didn’t pay that close attention regarding the various units and their abilities prior to that. WC3 RoC and TFT were a blast for me to play…don’t want to spring for the HD Remaster however

1 Like

Yes, exactly the point - and it was regarding post-scaling as referenced by their free week that blizz offered a couple months ago. It is sad. It’s one of the many things wrong with BFA and the three xpacs before it.

1 Like

LOL yep that’s one of the things that royally irritated me as well…getting your weekly roll tokens for bonus loot and then trying to cash them in for gear for most of my attempts has been either gold, or AP. I realize it’s RNG but it’s really BAD RNG. Not getting loot from a world/raid boss TWICE after using a roll token is soul crushing and it seriously needs to go or at least be changed so you don’t fail more than you succeed. This is what happens when D3 devs take over the development of the game. War/Titan forging is yet another aspect I vehemently abhor

Speak for yourself. I hate the resets. So do many others. And it was absolutely controversial at the time because most MMOs before WoW did not do gear resets like this when a new expansion launch.

Surprise surprise, not everyone likes Classic for the same reasons.

The best dungeons in retail were from Classic WoW. And there’s been no reason to do them since TBC because of the regular gear resets. It’s tragic.

Modern dungeons are linear snoozefests. Yeah I need to play whackamole with my hotkeys while i play DDR in the game to avoid mechanics, but that’s not RPG gameplay. And it’s not an interesting dungeon. Maybe an interesting fight. But the dungeons themselves are garbage.

Up to Wrath I still spent a lot of my time going back to Azeroth, working on finishing long quest chains (like for tier 0) and doing things solo like UBRS and feeling like a king because I finally could. I probably could have just stayed there making new alts and deleting them and starting all over again.

I really think they killed Azeroth as we know it to make us play retail. Doing over the zones for flying was only an excuse. It’s also why they forced people to get past 110 and play BfA. Why else would they care if people were playing more old content than the new?

1 Like

That same desire by the devs to herd people out of older content is the reason they removed the portals in Legion Dalaran…most of them they put in SW or Org, but they removed others like CoT and the portal to the Shrine in Pandaria…they removed the portals at the Shrine too…like seriously???

Heaven forbid I want to go somewhere to farm transmog gear without taking an uber long FP or having to fly manually for 10-15 minutes just to get there :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

No. The problem with the new content isn’t the stuff mentioned. Mythic+ just isn’t that fun. The raids, while done very well, still feel lackluster and stale. There is a total lack of RPG elements and immersion. The entire old world of WoW is made obsolete every time there is a new expansion. BFA’s combat elements, gearing systems, and lack of meaningful rewards for quests are the problem. Switching to a pristine realm changes nothing.

1 Like

The fact that this guy thinks THESE are the reasons people don’t play retail is hilarious. It’s also frightening, since he’s in charge of the company. Proof they’ll never actually “get it” unless there is a huge personnel change.

1 Like

Yep that’s another thing about retail that needs to change…aside from what I mentioned that I disliked about the retail version of the game itself, the developer and management staff have GOT to go also…no more Diablo 3 elements in the game. No more J. Allen Brack, and no more Ion Hazzikostas and all his underlings. ALL must go…bring in a fresh team who shares our passion for the Vanilla/TBC/Wrath era stuff and let them loose and see what they can come up with

If we could have the expansions WITHOUT the changes to talents that came with them, I’d be interested. My biggest complaint with the new incarnations of WoW was the inability to choose a talent ‘tree’ and choose talents from each spec that I like.

Character customization is everything to me, including what spells I choose to train and what talents I choose in each branch of a spec’s tree.

1 Like

A turd on a clean plate is still a turd.

2 Likes

i agree stay at 60, but you can even let items scale far less, and add more variety, or talent tomes like the hunter one… or more set variants… my point is, alot of us is tired or the big reset buttons, a legendary shouldent suddenly stop being a legendary, it should allways matter in some form … in retail next expansion and a green is better … yea lol

You made me laugh !

I, personally, would like Pristine servers. Annihilating heirlooms, boosts, and the like would go a long way in maintaining both the community and economy in expansions beyond the last patch in Wrath.

I’d only have three caveats.

First: skills, professions (along with their specializations), and talent trees, must all remain rooted in the spirit of Classic, TBC and Wrath. This, of course, will mean that Cata, MoP and the rest will be fundamentally different, which will come into play shortly.

Second: Level 100 is the max level, forever, no matter the expansion. I feel this will allow for a better, stable value for stats, talents, spells, etc.

Third: Take the story into alternate reality. Each expansion has had NPC decisions, map and mob alterations, and general items that were going to be added to WoW, but were left out for one reason or another (WoD famously falls into this range). Also, game decisions that were added into the game, but went over poorly or weren’t as successful as possible, can be altered or omitted.

So long as the devs maintain the Pristine status, and adhere to these three caveats, we’d have a fairly nice soft reboot on our hands. Hell, it worked wonders for a number of games recently (FFXIV being the most popular here).