For those of you avoiding retail, would you play retail content on pristine realms?

You’re excluding the middle, there. Modern, for everything before mythic raiding, is aimed at people who like being able to bind all their abilities to their bar in random order and kill enemies ten levels above them by putting their heads down and sweeping left and right, using whichever abilities their noses happen to hit the keys for.

Classic doesn’t need to have “big difficulty” to have more difficulty than that.

What are you even talking about ? I am pretty sure you haven’t play ‘retail’ in what 3 years or so since zone scaling started.

Sure did! Practically soloed Shadow Labyrinth, when Blizzard threw a week of free game time at me in a bid to get me to come back. And if the concept of soloing Shadow Labyrinth doesn’t make you cringe, you never played BC before the game was wrecked.

Look, you can try to convince me of something, but I promise you’ll fail. Or you can read the parts of my post that you cut out to complain that I was doing Modern wrong, and see the answer to your question.

So you solo old content which isn’t scaled - wow. You sure know what you are talking about in world content.

…it was scaled.

Someone this goblin will listen to explain that dungeons scale. Wait, does it stop scaling sometime before 120? It was on a level 80 character. I’m proud to say I stopped playing Modern early enough that I never got a character above 85.

Read that entire post and I agreed with 100% of it. The changes you mentioned in Wrath as to why you disliked that particular expansion, I really glossed over at the time, and still liked it personally…but you are right about all of it.

What you said about here:

Reminds me of what happened with FF14: ARR. The game was so horrible and unpopular at launch, Square-Enix took down the servers, and revamped the whole thing and completely wiped the entire game world and all of the story/lore they had for it at the time…After that massive Retcon, the game was SO MUCH BETTER afterwards…I honestly think that is the only way retail will ever be able to recover from the cancer Activision is responsible for injecting into it

1 Like

Yes this. I like the little things, like needing wood and a firestarter to create a campfire. Immersiveness.

I don’t like it when I have to game the system or think in terms of a videogame…ie only one talent spec works, etc.

I realized playing classic that what I really want, what I’d pay extra for, is a heavily moderated server where the idiots and trolls would get popped off as soon as they started in with their nonsense. I’ve played games where it was like that, and it was wonderful.

3 Likes

Oh the irony.

What this dude doesn’t understand: WoW to begin with was the lolcasual alternative to the MMO market at the time.

WoW only became popular in the first place because it was casual. You only thought otherwise because you were a) young, b) bad, or c) delusional.

TL;DR: WoW has always been casual, since the very first day.

3 Likes

How about because d) there’s a difference between “unlike EverQuest 2, you can take on an enemy your level and count on winning! You can even take on two at once!” and the Modern standard of, “You can take on a dozen enemies five levels above you, and you might dip below 90% health if you don’t do anything but auto-attack.”

Sure, there’s some irony, from a historical perspective, in people complaining about WoW becoming too casual, but look at it from a Goldilocks perspective. The fact that every morepig used to pride itself on expecting its players to eat searingly hot porridge and WoW cornered the market by offering nice warm porridge doesn’t invalidate the complaint “almost ten years ago, they started only producing freezing cold porridge.”

But that’s just it, the game wasn’t in its current state of ease until after full sets of heirloom gear were available, which eventually corrupted the leveling/questing experience into what it is now.

So my point would be, if you want to point to a decline in the game into the casual morass it is in now, “10 years ago” isn’t that point. 8 or 6? Sure. But 10? That’s asserting that WotLK was the lolcasual departure for the game (it wasn’t, at least it wasn’t any more casual vis a vis the rest of the market than any other expansion).

But even so, this is more of an evolution of the market than it is an evolution of the game. Every MMO that came out trying to hit the niche of “hard core” failed. Hard. “Hard Core” in the MMO space has always been niche, always will be niche, and people who try to reimagine vanilla WoW as some hard core utopia are frankly delusional.

So yeah, I think he’s wrong, both objectively and historically. Yes, WoW is incredibly casual now compared to what it was. Is it possible that the market is demanding slightly less casual? Sure, but I still maintain that the belief in Classic as an uncasual game is a delusional level of perceiving the market.

If i’m understanding pristine to mean a fresh server everyone starts with nothing, it’s a hell no.

Stuff isn’t the issue I have with retail, it’s the game itself. It’s easy and difficult at the same time. In order to do the more challenging stuff playing with friends (mythic raiding and super high m+ keys) you have to do the mind-numbingly easy stuff solo until raid time to get stuff done. An extra person doesn’t make it any easier, often makes it worse. You also can’t just choose the part of the game you enjoy and do that, nope, to do that you also have to dabble in every other aspect of the game. On top of that you have all these “fill the bar” things going on fighting eachother for that feeling of being complete and happy… but it never happens for any of them.

Now, if pristine means it’s a game like classic but with the current lore and challenging raid mechanics, possibly. Pretty sure that’s not what it means tho.

things scale to a point. you have various scales up to 60 like 1-20, 20-40, 40-60 (not exact, but essentially) and then you have BC & Wrath stuff scaling, then Cata & Mop scales together, then you have WoD and really i don’t remember afte rthat. Point is, soloing Shadowlab was killing level 80-83 mobs. 80 plus heirlooms and who knows what else would be fairly easy.

my two issues with classic are two things.

1. the community is not great and it’s no different than retail only they can hold you hostage from being able to do things.

2. the leveling is too easy. idk if it’s just the classes i’m playing but none of my toons have needed to eat. and don’t drink now that i know how to downrank my heals. i’ve had: 18 shaman, 2 12 paladin, 3 12 warlock,14 priest, 13 hunter, 9 mage, 6 rogue. and various other things i started and then deleted. someone told me that rogues were one of the harder classes to level but it didn’t feel any different from mage. which was totally faceroll. my last hope for “challenging” classic is rolling a warrior. but idk if i should make an orc/tauren or a dwarf/gnome.

Yes. That is exactly the point.

Spodge is flipping out about me commenting that Modern is, up until mythic raiding, ridiculously easy compared to original and BC-era WoW. That you can now effortlessly solo an even-level dungeon is part of my point, which he is vehemently denying. You know what would have happened if a level 70 had tried to solo Shadow Labyrinth when BC was current, in the best gear the game had to offer, right? (I’m not certain whether I should say “normal mode” or “heroic mode” here, but given that heroic mode has apparently been removed from the game for BC dungeons, I’d say it’s valid to go with the latter for showing the difference.)

wut? heroic dungeons and raids still exist. 0.o

Rogue poison quest reminded me of the rogues mage tower quest in legion. It was seriously challenging content.

1 Like

I underestimated the amount of time you hadn’t been playing. That dungeon is effectively not scaled for a max level character.

And you generally can’t solo dungeons at level. You could before the changes made in 7.3.5 because that is how I used to level. People have stated though before you can solo the BC ones for some odd reason - probably an issue with scaling.

Dungeons aren’t difficult in classic. The classes just lack the tool kit in a lot of cases to be able to solo them like you can in retail.

In any case, your amount of recent experience in retail makes your claims pretty much useless.

LOL Shadowlabs in Auchindoun was TBC content, so the mobs being in that level range wasn’t until after the scaling took place…but yeah it’s far too easy to solo content without being vastly overleveled for it…People in top item level gear can go solo Heroic/Mythic 5 mans in BFA and that’s current content…it’s sad

…so?

I hate to break it to you, but non-max-level characters exist. If you’re conceding that what I said was perfectly true for 119 of the game’s current levels, then you shouldn’t be surprised that your (latest) declaration of Why You Win is as meaningless as the preceding ones were.

Though your repeated efforts, not to argue but to invalidate, have convinced me…that Shocktastic is a far more reliable source of what one can actually do at “max level” than you are.

1 Like

What a waste of time. You are wrong.