For Healer Mains - Is healing "fun"?

Is healing fun? as a MW monk main, even tho MW is kinda crap, poorly balanced, and everyone want Rshammy; its okay. though the balancing is quite terrible (in terms of overall value, utility, throughput etc) but i am sure that is true regardless if you tank, dps or heal.

Healing is fun, It’s very fun when you have a good group.

Had a lot of fun healing a +10 with guildmates the other day.

Had zero fun healing a +2 with a pug that was yelling at me the whole time a few months ago. Put me off so much I stopped healing pugs for a while.

Good gosh my friend. You need a new game! Sounds like you are one cheese-burger away from a coronary.

Probably lol but at least I went doing what I didn’t enjoy right >.<

Healing is fun because every run is different. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been in the instance forty-nine times, the fiftieth time is still going to be unique because you have a unique group with unique needs for heals (stop standing in the fire, guys!) On the other hand, it can be stressful if you’re not running with friends or guildies. I have the sort of brain that forgets the forty-nine times the run went fine and only remembers the fiftieth time when things went south and I got yelled at
so if you’re that type of person, pug healing may not be for you.

Amen brother, Amen.

It isn’t fun for anyone. You basically select your spell and drag your mouse over to a nameplate
 repeat this about a thousand times and that’s healing.

Yes I find healing fun. I think of healing as a set of mechanics I must overcome no different than mechanics dps have to beat. I find it less stressful than dpsing too.

Macro everything to mouseover macros, customize raid frames for groups. That’ll pretty much be 90% of what makes a good healer.

Healing is great
 if you have a guild or a set group.

It sucks the big one if you live the pug life.

I like how it is at the same time dynamic every run but also something where your knowledge of the instances and raids makes a huge difference in allowing you to predict when and how damage will come in letting you plan things out in advance.

I think the biggest thing that will tell if you can have fun as a healer is if you can enjoy not being in control of what dies and instead take control of who lives when the poo hits the fan.

i do big numbers and i do more big numbers than the other healers in my group and that’s why i like healing

1 Like

Yes.

And the harder it is the more fun it gets. Getting to the point where you can heal DPS through mechanics so they can go HAM is very satisfying.

1 Like

Healing in an organized group where you get to use your entire kit is extremely fun.
In pugs, not so much, as long as it’s anything related to a healthbar you will get blamed for it since most players don’t have a single meter open besides dps. If you play anything besides rsham you have no interrupt, so you get to sit there and watch as massive damage comes out that could have been avoidable until it becomes unhealable. You only have but so many of your own stops and some mobs just outright recast it, but you will be blamed when the group dies.
You will look at details to see that multiple people have less that 10 interrupts 20 minutes into the dungeon. Hybrid dps and tanks will pretty much never use their own dispels even when you just outright can’t dispel that damage type then blame hps. Druids will sit roots that they can shapeshift out of. If you play both healer and tank you will typically track defensives and see poor usage of them, but you will be the one people look at when the tank dies. If people let a heal go off in some dungeons you get to watch the entire pack heal to full if your class has no purge simply because people will not use theirs. Then there are stubborn tanks who refuse to kite anything at all and then wish to sit there with a pikachu face when they die to 9 stacks of a fortified bleed.
It’s not that I don’t recommend it, but most of the healers i know have either stopped healing or take constant breaks on dps/tank alts to actually have fun. I think everyone should heal at some point because it will make them better at the other roles. You’ll rotate defensives properly on hard pulls because you’ll have had tanks that you wish did so. You’ll become almost obsessive about stopping unnecessary damage from coming out. You also know what to kite because you’ve had to watch tanks get their faces smashed in without doing anything about it.
If you’re going to heal in dungeons at least you should get pretty good at navigating details because for once the “why” of where the damage is coming from will matter a whole lot more than situational numbers

It’s the best for trivial content. Sit back and enjoy the scenery in timewalking. Also I enjoy RSham Deep Healing mastery + crit. Can get mega heals while seeing how low your party can go

It “is” fun but not appreciated. I think it’s been 5 years since someone said “Nice heals!” or maybe I just suck at healing :slight_smile:

I’m levelling up a Holy Priest in Cataclysm right now - currently level 44. Healing can be stressful depending on the group - I’ve only pug healed so far. My main priority is, of course, to keep the tank and myself standing. I heal DPS as much as I can but the tank and I come first.

However, I find that the more I do it, the less stressful it is. But I think it will always be more stressful than DPSing or even tanking. But that’s just me.

2 Likes

Once I had a good grasp of the spells and abilities of the class I was on (holy priest) yes it was great. Even when things got outta hand, crazy it was a lot of fun. I actually liked that more than the ho-hum of an easy run. Plus I got a kick out of pvp healing too. Until people started not protecting healers, then not so much. So yes, once I was comfortable with the class and knew what it could do it was a lot of fun.

edit: Oh yes now I remember for pvp healing when it got bad, that mod that marked you as a healer. That’s when I noticed getting focused a LOT more than normal.

1 Like

Its miserable at times as you are at the mercy of others doing things right. but you get into content super easy. So thats the trade

2 Likes

No it isn’t.

It’s usually “thank C’thulu it’s over”.

Why do I do it?

I question that every day.

But also, people are the ones that makes it miserable.

Get healbot and try to stay away from alcoholic drinks.

Everyone is different. I prefer healing over dps/tanking. it’s reactive, which is different than dps. You tailor your heal to what’s going on.

1 Like