Food for Thought: Race Change

Today’s Question: If you had to reroll your character as another playable race in World of Warcraft, what would it be and why?

Background:
This idea came out of chatting about RP characters and their origins with one of my guilds. We discussed how we had actually transferred some of our favorite (original) Elder Scrolls characters into the Warcraft universe, but then how various details of those characters’ backstories, including their race, had to change to fit into Warcraft’s lore. In this Food for Thought I won’t ask you to explain your character’s origin in another setting (if they indeed have one), as our focus is on Warcraft! and likely some of the finer details of your answer would be lost in translation for anyone who isn’t knowledgeable of that other universe.

Instead, imagine that World of Warcraft decided to remove your character’s race from the list of playable races for reasons unfathomable, gifting you with a free race change service in compensation. Or, perhaps, think back to when you first created them. What other playable race would have been most applicable for your character’s backstory and aesthetic if not the one they are right now? What cultural values, skills, or history would be most important to you to keep in such a transfer? (As we’re speaking in the context of forced rerolls, please stick to the currently playable races for your choice!)

3 Likes

If I had to? Absolutely had to? Highmountain Tauren.
Does… does that count? :rofl:

I’d probably look at the Vulpera, or maybe faction change and be a Gnome. A Gnome hunter that shuns engineering/mechanical stuff for a simple bow and a beast.

2 Likes

My other priest, Ketlan, I named after a character in a story I was working on at the time.

In the story, Ketlan Jancis was a laywoman of the church who was secretly a member of race that would transform from human appearance into a demonic like visage. I started playing in WotLK, but if I’d been one expansion later she’d definitely would’ve been a worgen :smiley: Like Mingo, I’m not sure if that really counts as a race change since it’s still human, buuuut…

If Derscha couldn’t be a gnome? I’d move one size up to dwarf. She’d still be the hardworking, mischievous short person in the room. Might not even have to change the name Kettlebomb!

It’s hard to imagine Kezrin as anything other than a goblin, but I think the second choice option would be a blood elf. She grew up as a educated, spoiled rich girl in a family concerned with making good business/political connections. That fits in with the stereotypical trope of snobbish elven nobles. Though unfortunately since belves can’t be shaman, she’d also have to class change to mage. But think of how much more convenient it would be to have the (acting) Horde manager able to portal around Azeroth!

3 Likes

…I think Jon cheats here.
<_<;

2 Likes

Strangely enough I think I would do the inverse of Kezrin. If Zurom couldn’t be a blood elf, I think I’d go with Goblin. Mostly because I’ve grown to love goblins over the years but in terms of character? Zurom grew up in a military family and lost the last of it during the 3rd war. If he where a goblin, I think a similar concept could work. Instead coming from a family of mercenaries or sappers.

3 Likes

If elves were removed, I would be incredibly sad.

And then I would probably switch to goblins, gnomes and draenei.

2 Likes

Definitely a worgen for Orwyn.

They’re my favorite race. Plus other good reasons. :smiley:

1 Like

Surinda here would be all in favor of a race change to Human.

…but I think that might be cheating. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lana was once a troll, so if they obliterated humans from the world, she… would probably just become a Pandaren, Kul’Tiran, Dwarf, or Gnome. That’s right, folks. If humans were obliterated, Lana would get fat on mourning food.

Well, either that, or she dead, and one of the above would take her place. Would be a different character backstory, but same values and character niche cause I like writing songs and poetry too much.

Aura… is a Kal’Dorei elitist. But I think she fits the Nightborne very well in personality and values.

1 Like