Flying rep grind miserable for returning players

In particular the Rustbolt and Ankoan, with players that already have flying swooping in and killing off all the mobs and rares. Really, used to stay subbed all the time, but blizzards hard headed insistence on their anti-flying stance and making it as miserable as possible to get makes me enjoy the game much less than in the past. The game was much better in BC and WOTLK when you just bought flying and it was incorporated into the quests. Now it’s just a way to keep people playing with a miserable grind.

59 Likes

How many game systems could this line be applied to.

9 Likes

I’m a returning player, and it’s really not that bad. Maybe because I’ve been playing classic for the last few months, but I’m not even going out of my way for pathfinder. I’ll let it come naturally as I play. 30 min hearth, small zones, and flight masters whistle make it an almost non issue

14 Likes

That doesn’t change the fact that Pathfinder is a mongrel idea whose continued use is one of the things that drives me the nuttiest about this game I generally love.

It serves no gaming purpose beyond enforced grind, it is illogical storywise (so yes, needing a high reputation with a faction to be able to fly, that makes total sense…not) and its just plain annoying.

Yes, I know, grinds, they exist. But why add another when it isn’t either necessary or creating any improvement to the game’s enjoyment?

I guarantee you this: the number of people who would weep if it was removed would be miniscule. And those are probably masochists who enjoy slapping themselves silly repeatedly.

:upside_down_face:

34 Likes

I love having a goal to aim for, and earning flight for all my characters, current and future, by doing one meta-achieve is exactly my kind of thing. It’s not a “grind”–it’s just playing the game. I spent less than an hour a day (usually 20 minutes) working on it.

I will agree that making Pathfinder in two parts, with part two held back for ten months, is bogus. But of course, that isn’t an issue for anyone only starting to earn Pathfinder after both parts are out.

6 Likes

What an original post! Oh wait…

2 Likes

Right? There’s definitely not 50 other posts complaining about this oh so long grind that takes a week!

2 Likes

It takes more than a week to get flying my dear.

12 Likes

Yeah, that must suck. That’s why I felt so pressured to do the grind when everyone else was. The way the system is set up is very poor.

7 Likes

Took me 8 days, and there were people flying long before I got my reps…so yeah, it takes a week.

6 Likes

Rares in Mechagon & Nazjatar have a RIDICULOUSLY LARGE amount of health, that scales with the number of people tagging it. It takes forever to kill them. Don’t pretend that you’re “almost there” and 1 guy is swooping in and one-shotting it.

6 Likes

Returning player here. Yes, Pathfinder is annoying. But, if you do the quests, and all the story lines, it’s not so bad at all. It just means going back to Naz and Mechagon every day and doing the quests there - at the very least the 3 to improve your bodyguard in Naz, and the main daily in Mechagon.

What’s more miserable is getting flying in older expansions, because of the very high boredom factor going through and one-shotting all the content. I mean, it’s kinda fun, but it gets dull after a while, and you definitely lose connection to the plot. But I digress…

2 Likes

I guess that would depend on your definition of “not bad at all”.

Some of the storylines are interesting, but more of them are just endless chains of fetch quests.

I’ll move on to Nazjatar after I’ve completed pathfinder 1. It’s come down to doing all the quests available for the factions I need and then logging over to my 111 twink to run normal dungeons and island expeditions.

2 Likes

Even if you’re just casually farming rep for those two, it will take you no more than 2-3 weeks to get revered with them. Every single other person you see flying had to do it and you don’t hear them complaining. Get over your entitlement, you’ll live…

3 Likes

That miserable grind you returning players complain about is the same miserable grind all the rest of us did.

Suck it up, buttercup.

5 Likes

Not much more, it’s faceroll easy to unlock flight this expansion. I didn’t even try for it and just organically unlocked 90%+ of it just by doing what I’d be doing anyway.

I support Pathfinder, gives me something to work on, saves tens of thousands of gold so I don’t have to buy some crappy flight learning spell.

2 Likes

You don’t hear the complaining because they’ve forgotten how much they complained at the time.

Seriously. You need to tell me that I’m having fun because people who were not having fun at the time are now claiming that they were just “playing the game naturally”, as though a videogame is a force of nature rather than a construct designed to manipulate your emotions to make you play longer.

And actually there are a lot of people who are saying that even though they did it, they think it was unreasonable and don’t think other people should be forced to do it or else no flight for you.

5 Likes

Pathfinder is fine. Pathfinder 2 is the problem, or rather, the year-long pointless delay before it’s available.

5 Likes

I never complained and I know maaaaaaany others that didn’t either. People tend to mostly come to the forums to complain… Therefore, it gives a false sense of how widespread an opinion is. Basically, the forums are mostly an echo-chamber of people complaining.

It’s something to do. It doesn’t have to be fun. It takes all of an hour tops, per day, for a couple weeks and BAM, flying!

Pathfinder is perfectly fine if you aren’t some entitled toddler that wants everything now like they are Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka…

1 Like

There are a small number of people who absolutely love following orders and grinding mindless content endlessly for little reward. You have found your happy spot. Gratz!

If you do only an hour a day it will take you a month. Probably you have completely forgotten how long it took you to get to those quests on foot. But you’re in good company. Most people have conveniently short memories.

I’m surprised that you’re willing to admit that you despise almost everyone who plays the game, in fact you hate almost every human being on the face of the earth.

You do you. It’s amazing what people will brag about.

6 Likes