Flying basically non exsistant

I meet a lot of returning players, too. Unfortunately a fair number of them were on their way out after finding how much work it was going to be to earn back flight in all zones.

3 Likes

That was reconfigured, because when I leveled my Nightborne monk, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t have to purchase flying for Outland, Azeroth, Northrend, and Pandaria.

actually i believe its the opposite, i think the current model of withholding flying till the expansion is over killed the game

3 Likes

Not sure what you mean by “reconfigured”, since what they were looking at was Draenor Pathfinder, Legion Pathfinder, and BfA Pathfinder.

They had to earn back the privilege of flight in end content. Now there were 3 expansions of content in which they needed to earn it back.

Well! Then it’s settled then.

1 Like

It means that before Blizzard required the players to purchase the flight master’s lisences for Outland, & Azeroth, Cold weather flying for Northrend, and Pandara flight. Now, it’s been all combined into one. That’s a big gold savings too.

It still costs 10k gold per character to get faster flying.

This is all irrelevant to someone who left wow during Warlords during the flight debacle and now finds themselves with 3 massive meta achieves to work through if they want to fly in all zones.

3 Likes

Pretty sure it’s just 5K, but I’m not sure.

After all this time, and 100’s of thousands of gold, I’ve only bought it on one toon (and I honestly can’t remember which one).

And the players don’t HAVE to do anything. They CAN do the achieve if they want flying in those expansions, but most players don’t spend much time in the older zones.

As much stuff as there is to do in the game, for me at least, the current stuff is the most interesting.

As people say, it’s all quests or world quests or dungeons and what not. The content, on the whole, is the same, so why go back and do old content once you’ve been through it. Since you have to do all of the quest lines to get flying in the first place, it’s likely not worth doing the rest to finish flying since there’s little more story to see.

If you’re leveling alts, then, heck yea, it makes a lot of sense. But if you’re just pushing a main to catch up, not so much.

And if you just want flying, well, hey, it’s “something to do”. Lots of folks like just “things to do”. Think of the things folks will do for a 10pt achievement that offers nothing but… a 10 pt achievement. And then, there’s Pathfinder. Little more than 3 or 4 10 pt achievements.

Flying in zones you don’t fly in isn’t a missing capability.

“I wouldn’t say that I was missing work.” – Office Space

The poster that you’re responding to is intending to get +310% flying, however, I just get the +250% flying only.

Artisan Riding and Master Riding are still separate purchases. I have a recently leveled character who has yet to purchase either, and both appear as “visit your trainer and buy now!” in the spellbook.

I always purchased them before on every character, but thanks to Ion’s obsession with destroying the economy gold is much harder to come by now.

“Flight is optional, everything is optional” is not far from “you don’t have to play the game at all, because playing the game is optional” to which they’re responding “screw this garbage, I won’t”.

Telling people that you don’t care so they shouldn’t care about flying in old zones is petty. Yes, they want to be able to fly to the instance they’re going to be farming transmog in. Lots of people do spend time in old zones. Did you spend much time in them when they were current or did you just sit in queue?

It’s irrelevant whether you find BfA content to be fascinating and engaging, and does not counter the concept of “flight is fun” in the least.

Telling people not to do old content is just a complete fail on your part.

People don’t actually look for really boring, forced things to do when there’s so much to do in the game that is engaging and rewarding.

And that 10 point achievement that is optional… well, it’s something that someone chose to do. It sets them apart from the crowd, unlike pathfinder, which is an exercise in proving that you’re willing to obediently follow orders to show that you’re willing to be absolutely identical to everyone else and have no self-motivation or creativity.

Not flying in zones you can’t fly in is a lost opportunity and time wasted you can never get back.

3 Likes

I very much miss when we could simply buy flying, once we reached top level. Exploring the world was so much fun back then…but I wouldn’t go through loremaster for it.

3 Likes

That’s for next expansion, except you’ll start out walking and only earn ground mounts after completing P2. The entire expansion will take place in a city approximately the size of Org.

The expansion after that will start out with RP walking and progress to running. It will take place entirely in one large building.

As the size scales with mobility, players will feel immersed in a world approximately the size they are used to from previous expansions.

Fun will be had by all!

Don’t give them bad ideas, Gunny. They have enough of their own.

1 Like

Hey, we can see the writing on the wall. Maybe they’ll sell skooter-like mounts, roller blades, or hover boards in the store. It will appeal to the crowd they are after.

Do we get a discount if we let them run “sponsored by Segway” ads while we play?

“Flying was never an issue until Blizzard made it an issue”

4 Likes

No, but you get a small speed buff every time someone inspects you to see your mount.

The point being that if someone isn’t going to be spending much time in the old zone, or leveling alts (same thing, really), then pursuing flying is likely not worth the effort. It’s all for naught. That’s part of the whole “optional” thing.

As for “fun”, sure it’s fun. There’s all sorts of things that are fun in the game, flight isn’t the singular manifestation of fun.

And the game is absolutely gorged with stuff that people do where the reward is destination, not the journey. Farming old instances, one shotting everything. You really think that your 50th run for is “fun”? Sitting by your computer in the middle of the night, barely conscious, trying to keep your toon logged in as it sits on a snowy peak in Northrend, waiting for an alarm to tell you TLPD is near. Honestly, those people aren’t there for the scenery. That charm faded long ago.

You’re right, they can stand out by not having flying and stick it to The Man. HAH! They’re a free person, Blizzard can’t control them! (As they run through Sethekk Halls again for the 73rd time. As they ponder their Diplomat title.) Power to the people! /shakesfist. “I am not a number!” they cry.

Flying in WoD+ is a choice. Do it, or don’t. If someone doesn’t plan on experiencing older zones after they’ve leveled past them, it’s an easy choice to not bother. The more time they find themselves there, the more likely they’ll benefit from taking the time to finish the achievements.

I haven’t bothered to get the Water Walking mount. I’ve decided it’s not worth my time to bother, despite it’s obvious advantages, especially in BfA. It’s an achievement not worth the time to get for me.

My time, my choice. Others choose differently.

Flying is no different. (And, recall, Warlocks used to have Water Walking, but The Man took it away. TO THE FORUMS!)

The only way you may understand it is if I say flying is like smoking. You try, you become addicted, you use it on a daily basis, but deep down you know it’s harmful. I never said I don’t like flying, but flying is harmful because it allows a player to skip content. Developers simply can’t keep up if you fly over everything that is developed. It ruins the experience, it ruins the community bonds, it ruins farming (due to ease of gathering), it ruins world PvP. Also to the people who say sub numbers were at a all time high! Of coarse they were, flying was new and allowed you to get to new places. The reality is flying offers short term gain and now there seems to be a shortage in content.

THat’s when they’ll introduce the Bird Scooter mount