Flying basically non exsistant

People never seem to get this. They think the anti-pathfinder crowd don’t want to work for flying or are somehow lazy. But this is 99% time gating, and flying is 99% gone.

25 Likes

With the exception of Wrath, flying was never meant to be a means of travel in current content. It was implemented to allow players to get around in older content that has run its course. It’s working as intended. The only problem is with players who are looking for an easier way to bypass parts of the game.

3 Likes

Because wow will be down to just a few thousand players, basically the vocal minority anti-flyers.

19 Likes

The truly funny thing is, the flight whistle and wall-to-wall flight paths have made me “lazier” than I ever was when I could just fly. Taxi to the world quest, run the 20 or 30 yards to the WQ, finish the WQ and whistle back to the taxi stand to fly to the next one.

But sure, flying makes you lazy and you see more of the world from a taxi.

32 Likes

That’s not the real reason, just the PR reason.

4 Likes

You mean…I imagined flying up to instances in Cata? The Forge Camps in Outland that were designed to shoot you down if you dared rise so much as an inch off the ground were programmed that way even though people weren’t flying as a means of travel? MoP didn’t have daily areas that could only be reached via flying mount, or a whole series of dailies built around flying?

All those things were implemented just so we’d have them when that content became “older”?

Man, Blizzard really DID use to pay more attention to detail than they do now!

24 Likes

Because having it take longer to get anywhere and getting dismounted and dazed every 2 minutes gets old really, really fast. Not to mention trying to find your way up some obstacle course mountain to get to a quest mob or anchorweed and have to run 4/5 the of the circumference just to find the path up. Most of the time now I don’t bother even going out in to BfA zones, not even on alts. Since instances are full of jerks and my realms have few to no guilds left, all there is is old content, and the flying feels good.

30 Likes

Don’t bank on that. People will notice.

9 Likes

You probably imagined a lot of things. But putting a few minor areas up high does not mean the entire xpac was built around flying. I also remember spending a lot of time underwater. Why aren’t we getting fast travel underwater in BfA? Every single xpac has had content underwater in some form or another. Why can’t I use my vashir seahorse in Kul Tiras? Because Blizzard hates fun and kittens obviously.

Yes. Because when flying was made available most people had to spend quite a bit of time and gold to unlock it. The cannons were an anti-cheese mechanic to keep people on the ground. Did you get your game design credentials out of a cereal box?

Not that I recall. But I do remember the Timeless Isle that had, and still has, no flying regardless of your level or what you have completed. Almost like they designed something not to be flown about.

Yes.

Too bad the current playerbase has the attention span of a mayfly with ADHD.

4 Likes

You’re honestly going to tell me that dungeons are “minor areas”? And claim that, in spite of putting dungeons in the air, Blizzard didn’t intend flying as a means of travel in current content?

I guess you didn’t do much for the Tillers, then, or any racing for the Order of the Cloud Serpent. Real shame; the cloud serpent races were quite fun.

As for Timeless, I don’t think anyone has claimed there were never level-cap zones without flying. That hardly demonstrates your assertion that

27 Likes

He’s telling you that you think you were having fun, but you weren’t. You think you want to have fun, but you don’t.

14 Likes

No there first was no flying then they decided to put it in the game. You bought it for gold, and you could fly period. They added it to all previous expansions then decided to limit it with no fly zones, and time. Time limits us to how long we can use it in an xpac. I spent millions of gold to get flying on all my toons. You had to buy it for each one as you leveled.

4 Likes

And this has nothing to do with what I said. Flying wasn’t in Vanilla. Yes, you could purchase it in BC. And then when you got to Isle of Quel’danas, the final endgame zone of BC, you could not use it. Just like Argus.

All I said was that every expansion has had a no-fly zone, and the inclusion of Argus not being a flying area was a moot point. That is factually correct.

1 Like

You know, I recently got my sky golem and started flying in a legion zone. I almost cried. Because of how cool that mount is flying and how I won’t normally be able to use it because of all the stupid gating. It also made me sad about how flying gave you access to new things and areas of zones you visited before. The game feels really 2D without flying. I’m considering going back to Rift because I don’t have to worry about role. Every class can fill a role. And if I don’t get flying here, what does WoW REALLY have over rift?

17 Likes

That’s not true, they made a big deal out of putting flying in the game. It was a welcome addition. You payed for it with gold. it was fun and also beautiful. They IMO just decided, that it got in the way of other things they wanted to do.

9 Likes

It also gave you access to areas of Nagrand, Netherstorm and Shadowmoon valley. Don’t kid yourself. It did more than that in BC.

11 Likes

:slight_smile: true, I am glad you posted

This is what keeps me playing as it enables me to work on alts. When I see how far I have to run to do a particular WQ, I’ll just log off. I don’t need to run to the same place, to do the same thing, for the 1000th time.

14 Likes

Not a good idea to go back to Rift, it appears they don’t have good security anymore. Now that the game is free to play people complain of trojans and viruses.

Well I don’t level alts until after flying is available, and I have a lot of alts. Since Blizzard is counting our time played metric, they are losing mine by not having flight. I barely log on to do anything right now, except work on pathfinder achievement which i am not rushing to get.

9 Likes