Flying basically non exsistant

Hahah No. I came in again during Legion. Was there really a WoD exodus due to the non flying ability? I agree though, when I grinded through WoD flying would have been nice. However, WoD overall sucked in my opinion. Could also be the reason for the exodus.

No. Flying does not “skip” content any more than a ground mount does.

Flying, like a ground mount, transports you to and from content. You can’t complete content while mounted unless you’re at AT, jousting.

Trash mobs and terrain hazards aren’t “content.” There was a time when WoW had so much actual content, this wasn’t even a discussion.

Flying wasn’t a problem till Blizzard made it a problem.

#Pathfinder sucks.

6 Likes

I disagree. When a designer spends time on an eerie forest with the perfect lighting coming through the trees and the music changes to go along with it and “Mr. Flyer” wants to just soar to 10K feet and fly over it to save himself 30 seconds… You are skipping content.

I actually fly along the roads, there is nothing more beautiful than flying through the night elf zones and hearing the music as I fly through the area.

2 Likes

There ya go. Flying low and through the trees along the path is nice. Doesn’t take away from the ambiance the developer had in mind but gives you more speed. Maybe height restrictions then instead of a overall ban.

That’s not content, that’s atmosphere. And if the atmosphere is good, the people who appreciate such things will go to a zone JUST to experience it. The people who don’t care aren’t going to magically care just because you make them spend 3 minutes slogging through it.

5 Likes

Again, what content does it skip? The intervening mobs between myself and the world quests, 10 yards away from the quest giver? As for environment, lighting, mood, etc. I’ve already experienced those while leveling up and seeing the stories in the zones. World quests are in almost all instances, merely repetitions of the same content I’ve already experienced while leveling. They don’t provide any vital story content that is suddenly discounted because I choose to fly to the objective rather than ride.

Not to mention, if I’ve leveled to max-level and head out to do my dailies, I can avoid intervening mobs between myself and the quest objective by items that the developers currently provide in the game even without flight. If the intervening mobs are so vitally important why have those at all?

As for dungeons, those are a higher level of content within the game with higher rewards and as such the encounters need to be commiserate with that fact. Open world content, on the other hand, is the lowest form of content in the game and thus flight doesn’t effect its outcome in that sense. You still need to kill 10 rats for the quest whether you fly or ride. Matter of fact, the designers used to design content specifically around flight so it’s clearly not the creative block they seem to make it out to be. They’ve just chosen for some reason to not want to make the effort, I suspect because it’s easier for them to design without it.

Their handling of the flight issue was the largest controversy I’ve ever seen outside of the RealID issue. Search any of the old forum posts from early 2015 about flight’s removal and it’s apparent the number of players no longer active, still sitting at level 100.

6 Likes

I’m glad flying isn’t a thing. YOU DON’T NEED IT.

1 Like

I think a lot of the pro fliers want it because it adds something, I fly for the sheer love of it, hell a lot of times when I’m out questing I find myself just running from mob to mob, or back to the questgiver without even getting on a ground mount.
I love using flying in questing, zones like Storm Peaks are huge and doing the Thorim questline is amazing. I think if you go back and do some of these zones, you’ll see what I mean. I don’t skip content you can check my achieves. I need to go back and get lore master because I did miss some, but I’ve had the seeker, for so long it’s been irrelevent to me for a long time, and I’ve done a crapload of dailies well over 10000 not to mention world quests.
Mostly now its my real life schedule that keeps me busy with my grandbaby during the day, work at night, so I need to complete bfa zones, but I will.

4 Likes

Call it what you want. Atmosphere is part of content. If you think the road leading up to a boss or quests isn’t content maybe these types of games aren’t for you. Maybe the Lich King should have been standing in an empty room. Atmosphere is content. Blizzard obviously agrees. They keep you on the road because thats how it was designed and how they want you to experience the content. Not rush past it like a kid going for a lolly pop before he gets the haircut. Slow down. Enjoy the ride.

No. You’re gaining a different perspective on the scenery. That is all. Slice it, dice it, mince it, chop it, it’s just a means of transport.

Looking at the whole enchilada, handling of flight and all put in to this game (and taken away) since MoP, It is beginning to look more to me like everything from release to MoP and everything from WoD onward are two wholly different games that happen to share a basic IP, almost like a bad copy of the game it used to be.

Looking at it now WoW really isn’t any different anymore from the other so-called WoW killers that came and went over the years. Structurally it’s very…generic.

It’s kind of ironically Meta in a way.
World of Warcraft has become a poorly made World of Warcraft clone.

5 Likes

Not really?

Isle of Queldannas didn’t have flying because it was instanced. There were technical limitations (mostly due to how it wasn’t designed for flying and had alot of dead planes.

Wintergrasp was a pvp zone, of course you can’t just fly into the enemies base. That wasn’t the end game area anyways, Icecrown was.

Tol Barad AGAIN was a PVP area.

It wasn’t until MOP that they started moving away from flying, mostly due to flagging world PVP. In fact they specifically mention they changed Timeless Isle during development due to the Speaker Gulan/Bloody Coins design.

1 Like

No, its not a different perspective on the scenery. If they created the content with flying over it in mind then the restriction wouldn’t apply. They didn’t. You are bypassing content. You can argue your point all you like but its obvious that Blizzard is limiting you for that very reason.

Isle of QD is on the Silvermoon , Outland, Exodar world map. It is not instanced. If you are in Silvermoon, and someone is on Quel’danas, you will see their arrow on the map. If they were, there would be no arrow, and like flying from Silvermoon to the Ghostlands does, you’d be put in a loading screen.

Wintergrasp and Tol Barad also housed a raid area for end-game raid gear, with bosses that were farmed weekly.

Timeless Isle wasn’t the only non-flying area. Isle of Giants (on the same world map) and Throne of Thunder (instanced outdoor area) were also non-flying.

1. You do know you can’t fly in Silvermoon right? Isle of QD was part of the Silvermoon INSTANCE. Fly north from Eastern Plaguelands, and you have to go thru a load screen to get to Ghostlands. That whole instance “including the isle,” was designed before flying.
  2. Only when you owned it? What’s your point? It was still not an end game zone and ONLY had flying restricted because it was a pvp zone.
  3. Yes and for the same reasons. I just mentioned the bloody coins thing to point out how the design philosphy was changing. Oh and Isle of Giants originally had flying but they removed it because people were using flying to grief Ondasta raids. Back when he was ridiculously difficult.

I do. But it’s also on the same world map. Go to Silvermoon and put someone in your group in Outland. Their arrow pops up on the map.

I killed Oondasta the week he released on my server. I don’t remember ever being able to fly there, but that’s irrelevant.

Just a technical FYI.
IQD was parked underneath Zangarmarsh. In BC around the first week IQD was out you could be questing in Zangar and your combat log would be picking up things happening in IQD.
Blizz moved it away later to fix this.

1 Like

Hence my statement. This guy understands.

You just keep telling yourself that.

1 Like