Flight: why are we waiting longer than we did in Legion?

All I’ve pointed out is how easy it makes the game and what blizz has said, Aehl. I’m actually pro flight, but I hate when people toss flying out as some supposed magical cure for whatever boredom or personal issue they have. Too many alts? Give me flying. Don’t want to do ~insert activity~? Give me flying. People have literally sat in the air on their flying mount while they got credit for WQs and invasions in legion, and of course nothing could touch them up there.

At that point the issue is the person or the activity, not a lack of flight.

So I’m guessing the answer is any of the following

• When the current zone is obsolete
  • When we migrate to a new ‘nonflying’ zone
  • When the spreadsheet says players like flying
  • When Ion starts playing in the world vs. Just logging in to run a mythic raid once a month
  • When blizz realizes players will login more often when things are fun vs. Having to due to time gating things
8 Likes

At that point the issue is the person or the activity, not a lack of flight.

Then Blizzard can bite the bullet, and just come out and say no more flight going forward. Oh wait…

3 Likes

Which is crap, they can design quests, objectives, etc that are impossible to do with flight with just a little more effort on their part, a dismount zone around the objective, quest is in a cave or underwater. Three ideas just off the top of my head, and I’m not even getting paid for this. Laziness.

And nowhere did I mention that the last expac wasn’t designed for flight, the post you are referring to within which I was referring to WoD, as you seemed to be. My apologies, I should have been a little more specific than just quoting your post, maybe I should have broke out the crayons after all.

Let me be honest, you are never changing my mind about flight in WoW, or about the reasons the devs don’t want it in WoW. The devs have dragged this issue out for far too long, and their actions all appear to me to be those of people that are just too lazy to do a good job. At this point, they can’t, you can’t, no one can change my opinion on the matter. So if that’s what you’re attempting to do, it is a colossal waste of your time and very entertaining for me. I can still resort to crayons, though, if you prefer.

Semper Fi! :us:

8 Likes

You realize you can do that exact same thing by grouping up, finding a quiet spot, and sitting on the ground, of course. It’s not as if sitting on a flying mount grants you magical powers of WQ completion.

11 Likes

Y’know why I want flight? Because I love flying.

I have around 300 mounts, many of them flying ones. Some of them I worked my butt off to get. Some I made on my characters. Some I won as drops, with much accompanying delight. Some I think are just beautiful in the air. Artistically, visually, I love to fly. I love to see this wonderful game’s environment from on high, to travel at my own pace on mounts I love to use.

We all have different reasons for liking or disliking things in the game, and that’s fine. I don’t demand anyone feels or thinks the way I do. even though I’m right… There are as many reasons to enjoy flight as there are not to particularly care.

Yet I believe it improves the diversity of the game, the choices and options. And that’s a good thing, all in all.

11 Likes

If they dont like flight

They can take out the emissary flight mount rewards.

Take out the flight mounts from the cash shop.

Remove all flight mount rewards.

…but Blizzard wont do this , instead they keep us on the ground as long as they can by gating flight for as long as is possible.

5 Likes

They don’t even need to go that far, because you can’t engage in combat while mounted. You can’t interact with most of the world while mounted, even with stirrups. Pretty much the only quest you could complete while mounted would involve picking things up off the ground.

Back when they first trotted out the example of “with flying, you just fly down, kill the objective, and fly off”, someone on the forums - it may have been Aehl, but I don’t recall for certain - proposed the simple solution of having the quest require multiple objectives. You know, the exact same kind of quests we’re already doing: Kill 10 X, gather 3 Y, kill a boss at the end.

They don’t need caves, or dismount zones, or surface to air missiles. The number of quests that can be trivialized by flying are the quests that can be trivialized by ground mounts already. The only difference is whether we’re trailing mobs until they leash or not.

10 Likes

I actually don’t recall him saying this. I didn’t think they actually had a problem with us only having flying in current content for 3/24 months in legion.

Not that I think that is acceptable at all but I thought they in their ‘great’ wisdom thought that was acceptable.

Have been just out farming ore and thinking, oh how much nicer this would be to actually fly and do this. I used to love gathering and now I only do it if I absolutely have to.

I actually don’t recall him saying this

He did, not that it matters.

Bottom line.

Unless we get some kind of advisory, we dont fly until August of 2019. Im not sitting on the ground another five months waiting for a patch that may be “delayed”, “pushed back” “doesnt include flying now but it will later” or “You can fly but the new area will be no flight”.

No. Not for me. Six months…seven months okay…a year?

NO.

Do as you will, its your call.

8 Likes

From another thread

If the current formula isn’t going to change with Pathfinder in the next expansion then BFA is my last expansion.

Flying should be available on the first major patch. Pathfinder part one is all that’s needed.

Looks like im not the only one fed up with this.

10 Likes

Flying isn’t going to fix BfA, oh no, make it a little more bearable maybe, but not even come close to fixing the [censored]storm that is BfA, and it sure as Hell won’t keep me subbed. I’ll be back to finish PF2, then I’m out again, and you can bank on me not pre-purchasing the next expac(assuming there is one), or even purchasing it until I hear that it’s good.

IMO, they’ve had two expacs in a row that were absolutely awful. I despised Legion and my animosity for BfA comes close to hatred. BfA in my opinion is this: crafting is crap, azerite armor is crap, the story is crap, the content is crap, the classes are crap, there is literally nothing about BfA I find enjoyable for more than an hour at a time, and precious little there is about BfA at all that I find enjoyable in the least. Flight isn’t going to fix any of that, just make it more bearable, but certainly not bearable enough to stay subbed.

Soon, the remaining time on my sub will be gone and so will I till PF2 is added. When it is, I’ll be certain to come back, finish PF2 and lay down some more vitriol aimed at the devs for, what is in my opinion, a lazy, shoddy excuse for an expac.

Semper Fi! :us:

8 Likes

The only reason flying isn’t available is because of dev spite. They know the majority of players want flying and we wouldn’t let them take it away completely in WoD. They want to punish players for not allowing them to remove flying.

I’m done with that mess. Flying isn’t the magic band-aid that will save BFA but I will not buy another expansion where flying is arbitrarily gated for a year. Its asinine.

13 Likes

Um. Aren’t you the one saying semper fi? I don’t need crayons, but if it will help you then feel free.

I don’t want to change your mind. I want to point out that you’re flat out wrong when you’re wrong. I want other readers to stop giving into mass hysteria and use their brains. “Do I really want flying or is it actually the game I have an issue with?” Hmmmm.

Um. Aren’t you the one saying semper fi? I don’t need crayons, but if it will help you then feel free.

No and I never have. Try again. Guy who says that is a former Marine. Im not a Marine nor have I ever been one. Im also not an American.

want to point out that you’re flat out wrong

Thats your opinion and little else.

I want other readers to stop giving into mass hysteria and use their brains. “Do I really want flying or is it actually the game I have an issue with?” Hmmmm.

No one cares what you want others to do, then least of all.

This isnt “mass hysteria” either, this is a lot of people singularly unhappy with how flight is beng handled.

5 Likes

You should pay attention to which replies are to you.

/facepalm

Wow this thread is still going.

I put a lot of time and resources into this game. I did so from the very beginning and as the game grew. I felt safe about putting that much investment into this game because I felt it was in good hands and would continue to be going into the future. Blizzard made my favorite games and had never let me down with anything less than a rich gaming experience. I expected that investment of time and resources to be honored by the future caretakers of this game.

It has not as far as flying is concerned. I don’t even know why this has to be an issue. Flying is part of World of Warcraft. It needs to be back in the game and it needs to stop being dangled like a carrot.

14 Likes

You might be shocked to learn other players DO use their brains on this topic.

I really want flying AND I have issues with other aspects of the game. I believe that the dev attitude toward flight is just one symptom of the game design philosophies which have led to other things I dislike. An unwillingness to take devs’ word on their reasoning when their explanations are easily debunked, does not mean anyone is giving in to mass hysteria.

8 Likes

Alright, well you’ve pointed out why, right? Then why are you still here arguing about it?

Because I can?

3 Likes

Is it wrong that I feel abit of Schadenfreude regarding the layoff from Blizzard? I mean people losing their jobs is bad, but then maybe is Blizzard was slightly better at game development it might not have come to it.

1 Like