Flight: why are we waiting longer than we did in Legion?

So what if it is?

So what if it is?

Kirela, it may have escaped your notice but BFA is host to whats being called a quiet exodus. A few here a few there…by the time they get to 8.2 the end results will be quite visible as servers empty out.

Kirela: I have been here since 2010, and I do not EVER recall seeing a video addressed to “WOW refugees” in that entire time.

You may not see it, but BFA may very well prove to be WOW’s swansong. The attrition rate is slow…but it is consistent…and continuing.

In terms of sub loss…over time…BFA may very well prove to be another WOD.

8 Likes

Flight would breathe life into professions and AP system you could increase your gains in a shorter period of time. But the devs are micromanaging BFA to death which is why players are bored and leaving.

7 Likes

Aehl. If BfA kills wow it will be because of the expansion itself, not because of flying. People were dropping this expansion early on and didn’t mention flying. That’s actually my main point about this whole thing. You’re obsessed with flying and missing the big picture. No one should feel like they NEED flying to have fun in this game.

I’ve been playing off and on since '05. When the game is good it doesn’t feel like a chore that you’re desperate to fly just to get past the obstacles.

WoW is a game and not a spreadhsheet. That is why some WoW devs don’t understand the fascination with flight.

How do you quantify the joy of flying through an interconnected world from zone to zone?

The only thing you can quantify with flight is how many X herbs you can obtain in Y amount of time versus using flight paths. But why throttle the game so much when rewards in BFA are lackluster as is already? So, we are back to the WoD problem where the devs think making outdoor rewards meaningless will lead to more people doing instanced content and not caring about flight out in the world.

However, when flight was added in WoD I actually did more world content even if it was boring or lacked rewards. This is because I enjoyed flight and also because it wasn’t a huge time investment. So, I could overlook the lack of rewards if I was having fun questing and flying around.

8 Likes

I mean, is this even really a question?

It’s because they think the longer they can keep us on the ground, and not get flying - the better overall. So, after all the debates about flying, the devs decided that we stay on the ground at the start and ‘at some point’, we get to fly. Generally that point is well after the content has been farm fully the heck out. In any case, it’s in the devs interests to push it out as long as possible. It isn’t necessarily in our best interests, but there you go.

2 Likes

First they time gated flight and now they are doing it with allied races. What happened to allied races being there at launch?

At some point Blizz needs to think of better retention mechanics than to gate content that should be at or near expansion launch!

4 Likes

Flying makes it so players can decrease travel time and get to the content they want to do. That’s it. It doesn’t kill the mobs for you. It doesn’t gather ten boar snouts for you. It doesn’t heal Azeroth’s open wounds.

It just gets the players who want to do those things to their destination, so they enjoy the content they want to enjoy.

8 Likes

warmod is why they wanted to push the alliance war and warmode.

as soon as flying is launched warmode is done.

Aehl. If BfA kills wow it will be because of the expansion itself, not because of flying.

Gating flight to an entire year wont help, either. See, Kirela, it isnt just one factor with a lot of people. Its a lot of things. But then again,. as with me and as with friends I know who have walked away…it was that one last thing that made the decision for them.

Sometimes thats all it takes.

You’re obsessed with flying and missing the big picture. No one should feel like they NEED flying to have fun in this game.

Am i?

As I seem to recall, I made the same comments back in WOD and was laughed at.

That laughter didnt last.

I’ve been playing off and on since '05. When the game is good it doesn’t feel like a chore that you’re desperate to fly just to get past the obstacles.

But it isnt, Kirela, its a whole slew of things, none of which have been addressed, none of which have been listened to, and in the end, it will be that one final nail that says “enough”.

For me, its simple.

Add the deliberate gating of flight to issues I have wanted addressed for years, and I decided that this game wasnt worth my time or money anymore.

My sub ends in May. I wont be renewing. Why?

I will be asked to wait an entire year to fly.

No.

4 Likes

Yes, which means you are literally skipping everything between point A and point B. With some things it means you can even skip stuff at point B

Alright, well you’ve pointed out why, right? Then why are you still here arguing about it?

Don’t have flight enabled for warmode. Problem solved as there are no longer PVP or PVE servers as they are all PVE servers and warmode there own PVP shards.

I also skip things with the flight whistle, but I don’t see the crowd who opposes flight on the grounds of “skipping things” objecting to the inclusion of the flight whistle. Instead, I often see it touted as a reason we no longer need flying.

7 Likes

they had flight on pvp servers the will have it for warmode.

Yes, which means you are literally skipping everything between point A and point B. With some things it means you can even skip stuff at point B

Flight was never an issue until Blizzard made it an issue.

If flight is the issue you say it is, why is it other MMOs are EMBRACING flight as part of their game?

Travel is not gameplay, Kirela, when it takes you ten minutes to get to a place to do two minutes of gameplay…thats when you stop and ask whats wrong with this picture.

All keeping us on the ground achieves is to make what we do take longer.

Thats all it does.

10 Likes

Many PVP servers were also role play PVP servers but now all server types are PVE or role play.

So flight can be disabled for warmode.

the player base wants that but will they listen?

Who knows at this point? But if they want to support warmode they should think about it.

warmode is a bust alliance only turns it on for free gear most alliance have turned it off already.

Y’know what it feels like to me…it feels like a slow form of flight denial.

In WoD they tried a fast form of flight denial - telling us we wouldn’t get it at all, BAM! And that worked out really well for them, right? So then we go a single part-time delayed Pathfinder (which at least rewarded us for our efforts with account wide flight and a nice mount for achieving it).

No mount in Legion and no mount in BfA and an extra part just to drag it out even further.

I see so many people supporting it or saying it doesn’t matter. I have to wonder how many parts, how long a drag out, how many hoops we will have to leap through it will take before more of them throw up their hands and say, enough!

8 Likes