Flickering sky textures

Since latest patch, playing on an iMAC late 2015 running Mac OS Mohave, with an AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB graphics card…when clicking the mouse in many zones the sky texture flashes and partially disappears.

3 Likes

Same issue here. iMac 5K (late 2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB, running macOS Mojave 10.14.5. The issue is 100% reproducible by clicking and dragging with the left mouse button (even 1px) to reposition the camera. As soon as the button is released, the entire sky (except foreground layers such as clouds) flickers black before restoring its texture. Note that when merely clicking the left button, the issue does not occur (as long as you don’t move the camera at all).

If I command-tab to another app, then switch back to WoW, the issue goes away for a few seconds, but soon starts happening again. Strangely, when clicking and dragging with the right mouse button, the issue does not occur at all, even though the camera is being repositioned in the same way.

Finally, if I switched to “Windowed” mode, the issue does not occur.

Hope this can be fixed soon. It’s so annoying and distracting that the game is basically unplayable.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue on an iMac 5K 27" (Late 2015), 24GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB, macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

Left-clicking does nothing. Left and right-click dragging and right-clicking triggers the issue — sky becomes black and my FPS drops to ~10 from 30+.

I started noticing this after setting up ElvUI, but I’ve already ruled that out as it happens even without any add-ons. I also tried several graphics settings and nothing helped.

I can also confirm that Windowed mode is unaffected by this issue.

same issue, right clicking causes weird issues like turning sky textures black, and also if I right click while in a resolution that doesn’t match my native, the screen gets wider when i right click and returns to normal on release of mouse

There is some good feedback here and I’ve made sure it was passed on.

Unfortunately do to holiday, it may be a few days before we hear something back. I believe blizzard devs are on 4 day weekend unless i’m mistaken. Support will still be available (they always are), but they can only do same thing I did, pass the info on. They wouldn’t have any info to pass on until next week either. However, I’m pretty sure there is enough info in this thread for blizzard to work with.

1 Like

Hey all,

We’ll need more information and reports to look into this in more depth. Can anybody who has this error please post their system specs for us? You don’t need to do the full export of the system report, just the information on the main window about your mac os version, mac model, processor, RAM, and graphics card is fine. Thanks!

2 Likes

Same problem here. Tech/customer service rep. asked me to input the following info in this thread:

-MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
-macOS Mojave (Version 10.14.5)
-Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
-Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
-Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

The sky flickers when I click down with either the mouse or trackpad.

macOS Mojave 10.14.5 (18F132)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Processor: 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

Am currently experiencing this issue. As above, it does not occur when playing in a window, and is evident when either the left or right mouse button is clicked independently but not when the right button is used to steer while the left button is being held down. Evident in BFA zones, Stormwind, and BI Dalaran, but does not seem to be affecting Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Darkmoon Island or Shadowmoon garrison. Full reinstall of the game with fresh folders did not solve the problem.

My specs:

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019
Processor: 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

Hey all,

Thanks for all the info thus far - if other players end up with this issue, we’re still looking into it, and the more system specs we can get for now the better. For a work around, most players mention that you can switch to windowed mode to prevent the issue.

It’s especially bad flickering while doing Drustvar’s Shell Game – does it every few seconds.

(Mojave 10.14.5, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB, graphics at 8 with 50% scaling.)

Same issue on this Mac.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
OS 10.14.5 (18F132)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB

Thanks for being so responsive @ Drakuloth.

I’ve recently switched to an eGPU setup, and am encountering sporadic flickering of the skybox textures. It’s reproducible by simply alt-tabbing in and out of the game client. Detailed specs:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
eGPU: Radeon VII 16 GB
eGPU Enclosure: Razer Core X
Screen Resolution: 3440x1440 (100% render scaling)

macOS: 10.14.5
WoW renderer: Metal

Game performance is excellent btw. TY for implementing the Metal API :heart:.

Still on our radar - we’d like more reports if anybody else is experiencing this just to get a decent idea on how common it is.

1 Like

Blimey, had to level up a character to Level 10 to post here!

I appear to have found a solution though:

This bug appears to relate to another bug - the oversized cursor bug! (_See here - https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/my-cursor-and-nameplates-got-bigger/209051_). Using the command ‘/console cursorSizePreferred 0’ this was the only console command for ‘cursorSize’ that solved my issue. Upon my cursor returning to its normal size, the flicking sky textures stopped. Up until that point, clicking the mouse was the trigger for the texture bug.

It seems it appears to be the route issue of this bug, so at least it’s not a separate issue of its own. If anyone else cares to test this and see if it works for them I’d be pleased to know!

7 Likes

Tried this fix and it appears to have worked – sky does not flicker in fullscreen anymore, and is still clear in windowed. One new behavior – it will flicker once when maximizing the window to fullscreen, but not when minimizing. Otherwise the issue does not seem to reoccur.

I updated my OS to 10.14.6 prior to trying this fix and it did not have any effect one way or the other.

2 Likes

Oh, wow! That actually fixed it lol

PS: Also updated to 10.14.6. The update didn’t fix anything, but the slash command did.

1 Like

Same exact issue here.

Macbook Pro 2015 15 inch
2.8GHZ intel core i7
1600MHZ DDR3 16GB
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

Worked for me as well!

I moved over to a “new” laptop (same 2015 15" model but a different machine) and had the sky flickering issue appear on the “new” laptop. Tried the console command to fix the flickering and just reduce the giant hand cursor and the fix was immediate.

/console cursorSizePreferred 0