Flashing again with Nvidia Card

I love how this site is telling me my post is the Solution when its bloody not…come on Blizzard what is up again Nvidia cards…

Now getting some flashing in ZM now.

I’ve seen a number people report flickering/flashing graphics issues with Nvidia cards and it’s an issue that I previously had as well.

Personally I fixed it by changing wow to use DirectX 11 in the System menu, Advanced page. Other people have changed other things and reported the issue as fixed for them so this is probably something that only works for me. For raiding I change it back to DirectX 12 to get better performance but that’s the setting that will eventually have the flickering/flashing problems if I keep it on that.

1 Like

I only noticed this issue return after finally taking the Windows 10 version 21H2 update, having put it off for over 6 months until two weeks ago. There seems to be some combination of factors with the Nvidia drivers and 21H2 causing it.

I’ll add that the issue is not nearly as severe as it was before. It also is impacting different objects in the game for me this time, even though the flicker behavior is otherwise the same.

I am running Windows 11. And last time this happened last year it was Windows 11 too…

Yes I reported this a few weeks ago Texture flicking from last year is back with 5xx series drivers - Support / Technical Support - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com) . The 5xx series drivers have brought the texture flashing back. Yes “DX11” is a “work around”, however it’s not a solution because it disables the ability to use things like ray traced shadows (yes it’s subtle and just ‘eye candy’ but it’s still nice and DX12 only)

Just to note, there is a new Nvidia game ready driver released. New version is 512.15.

1 Like

It did nothing to fix the problem for me. It went away after blizz released a hotfix a while back, but it seems the newest patch is messing with Nvidia cards again

2 Likes

Yeah it was actually a combo of Blizz, Nvidia, and MS last year and it took them 7 MONTHS to fix it. Now it’s back. Flashing in various dungeons, Torghast by some reports, Ardenweald has some really bad spots in the “lilly pad” like things in the water areas, etc.

My screen will randomly go white and exit to the desktop, only to go back in game, work fine for a half hour before the screen goes entirely black.

The frustrating part is how completly random it is, not like we know for sure what’s going to trigger it

1 Like

You might want to take your monitor in for service at a licensed technician. Sounds like you have a hardware issue with it.

That’s the thing though. It only does it with WoW, otherwise it works perfectly fine. It’s a conflict with whatever WoW added in the recent patch

1 Like

Have you tried using DDU to uninstall the graphics drivers then rebooting into safe mode and installing them fresh?

1 Like

I haven’t tried that yet. Is DDU safe to use?

Yes and it is the recommended tool to use if you search for it from the Blizzard posters on this forum.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s worth a shot.

That monitor issue sounds like the video driver crashing. I had that happening constantly with the previous 5xx driver that was out prior to the one that just dropped a day or two ago. I had DDU’d and reinstalled a 497 driver from December that I “thought” was working correctly, but I was also still get some weird “screen door effect” when panning the camera that I started noticing on that 5xx driver. So I don’t know if something didn’t get removed by DDU or somehow I didn’t notice it.

Yesterday I DDU’d again and reinstalled the 471.22 Hotfix driver which was a hotfix to the first driver that originally solved the texture flickering last year fully. Everything is working great, no more weird SDE effect etc.

The white flashing thing, that someone mentioned can happen, is usually because people are running mixed refresh/resolution on multimonitor setups. I get them even with chrome or other apps that use directx12, but as soon as I hit WIN+P and set it to only use PC screen, they go away forever. Both screens are 1080p, but my main monitor is a gsync 165hz and my other screen is only 60hz.

Give that a try and see if it helps, if not, try to describe the flashing in better detail or get a short video clip of it. There are like a dozen different types of “flashes” or “flickers” that can happen, so it would help to narrow down why type it is.

I had the old flashing which was fixed and noticed flashing again on the newest Nvidia 5 series drivers. I went back to the last 4 series driver (472.84) and all is good

I am running fully updated Windows 11, I5 10600K with a RTX 2060 using DX 12 and GSYNC compatible monitor at 1440P

Make sure you’re not confusing the two flickering issues which occurred around the same time. Both can be resolved by switching to DX11, but one of them is specifically related to MSAA and can be resolved by simply turning MSAA off.