Fix unrated pvp

Competitive pvp is where rated is.

Random BGs were never meant to be competitive. No one talks about mythic zeros being competitive which is the mythic plus equivalent.

Those are free wins though.

Gear isn’t why you lose the majority of your games. You making mistakes is the main reason.

Your mind set is also the issue.

Yup , thanks for the essay it was a good rant :sweat_smile:

They try to make players play rated a bit too much. To the point where gearing in random BGs is actually a waste of time.

If you play rated, it’s actually a fairly liberal system right now, where you get a hefty upgrade for a minimum effort. It’s +6 item levels above honor gear just for 1000cr which is a participation trophy. You pretty much can buy 1/7 honor gear and jump into arena, and gear up much faster than anyone who gears through randoms.

I think this is a problem. They need to get away from the mindset that random BGs are just free for all, and treat it as an actual target content for casual players. Casual raiders can clear normal raid and farm it to hearts content without needing to do Heroic raid. Whereas random BG players are forced into higher modes to maintain a level of fun.

And it’s not like power progression even helps rated PvP itself. I’m pretty sure most competitive players would gladly do away with gear upgrades.

I think WoD was a perfect compromise. Honor gear was like 1400 cr gear right now from the get go. Conquest gear was current dueslist from the get go. Quest greens scaled to 7/7 honor automatically I think. Why not bring this system back?

1 Like

It would be a FREE WIN if I didn’t have a somehow pay those people for those carries, something I’m not interested in doing… cheers to the ones who partake… but sorry, I’m just not going to do that. I’ll just stay where I’m at pvp wise. And yes, mistakes are always made, they’re unavoidable as I’m human but the issue I usually run into is dying so fast I can’t retaliate. I don’t mind getting destroyed… If I’m outplayed, I’m just outplayed… But plenty have mentioned how easy it is to get demolished in seconds, without a chance to retaliate lol. Might be a little better than it was in 9.0, but still a pain in the fannypack. I might actually grind through the upgrades for honor and conquest gear if they weren’t locked behind rating. My view was that I’d play randoms to master my class or spec, earn my honor and some conquest pieces, and then possibly move up to rated content when I was comfortable enough with my Toon. Now it’s hard to tell if gear is holding me back or not, but I’m assuming it is. It’s just the wall I’ve personally hit, but I don’t mind, I just wish rating wasn’t blocking me from upgrading my pvp gear!

You misunderstood. I love going against people who are boosting because it’s a free win.

Then your issue is you’re not using defensives properly.

It’s steppingstones. The system is designed to get aggression to PVP players even though it was poorly implemented.

If you choose not to play rated that’s your choice but you can’t be mad if you refused to put any effort into getting gear.

It’s honestly not gear. It’s effort and mindset.

So what is your point? Random BGs are intentionally mismatched? What were they meant to be? Do you actually have a point are a you just trolling?

2 Likes

If you want balanced pvp with equal gear the place for that is rated BGs.

Random BGs are a free for all and meant for whatever. They aren’t going to regulate random BGs by gear level.

My point is pretty blunt and obvious.

1 Like

That is either your preference, opinion, or both. But, it hardly represents Blizzards official vision on unrated BGs. Nor does it represent where the majority of the community is either.

Most people use the BGs to learn how to PVP or learn a new spec before going into rated matches. Additionally, people will use unrated bgs and skirmishes to warm up or to just practice. That serves are much greater purpose then just randomly placing people in a free for all situation as you suggest. So even if I were to concede your point, which I am not, the community and game would be much better served making unrated BGs and skirmishes competitive, regardless of some kind of intended chaotic free for all mess as you describe.

2 Likes

Actually it’s common sense. From a design point there would be zero reason to have random BGs if they were supposed to be competitive.

It’s fine that people use it for whatever they want to. If Unranked BGs were designed to be competitive there would be a rating attached to it.

Hello, I see you replied to the thread. It’s PvP, it’s all competitive. You are conflating a competitive gamemode with the rewards associated with a subset of a larger system, PvP in general. Right when it’s two sets of players trying to win, it becomes a competitive environment, the location is irrelevant.

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

2 Likes

Unrated BGs aren’t a balanced competitive environment.

Unrated BGs are for anyone to go in and mess around or try new things. There’s no organization or rating for that reason.

I don’t go into BGs to win. I go in to maximize my honor gains unless I’m with friends and then our goal is to truck people.

Hello, I see you replied to my post. Luckily, your personal opinion doesn’t trump the facts stated in that previous comment!

4 Likes

They aren’t focusing on new players. They think they are, but they aren’t. The game isn’t remotely accessible to actual new players. The retention rate has always been horrible, and as the game grows more complex, no doubt it is getting worse. Imagine being a new player reaching max level for the first time. None of those alt catch ups are accessible to you. You will be grinding until the end of the expansion. Or would, but you’d probably quit as soon as you learned what you had ahead of you.

That wasn’t the complaint. The complaint was by geared players who thought that they should be one shotting opponents instead of being made to work hard by two shotting them.

Blizzard responded by removing scaling and giving the best geared players access to unlimited corruptions. Twilight devastation = one shot the entire enemy team.

The people who support the current system are those who are directly benefiting from it. Either they think they deserve an easy ride to free welfare gear upgrades, or they are selling carries for real money. Most PvP carries, even those listed as “Gold only!” are indeed cash carries.

2 Likes

The issue is that there are too many requirements for entry into pvp.

Think about how much a new player has to do to enter pvp and be competitive?

Hit level 60
grind torghast for soul ash
purchase legendary base item
grind pvp gear
obtain conduits
grind renown to unlock conduit slots
Grind honor to upgrade gear
Grind conquest for base conquest set
Grind rating to unlock upgrades
Grind honor to purchase said upgrades
Grind torghast for legendary upgrades

I’m sure I missed some stuff, but the list of chores you have to do just to play the game is far too long.

There was a great video Venruki made talking about it, I’ll see if I can find it…

Edit: Found it. Jump to about 2:20

5 Likes

Your statement didn’t apply any facts though.

Have a nice day roleplaying as an intelligent bot.

Don’t forget most people don’t have access to two decent partners outside of lfg

System is trash, bring back MoP or WoD gearing

3 Likes

Hello, I see you replied to my post. It was nothing but facts as it’s common knowledge that any form of PvP is set in a competitive environment. Not only that, past precedence within the game itself shows how incorrect you have been throughout your various replies!

While this is true, most people can climb higher if they actually put some effort into it.

I just feel like people would rather make excuses and complain instead of trying hard.

I agree lfg sucks
I also agree the current gear system sucks and needs to be addressed majorly.

PS love you guys :slight_smile:

Agreed.

1 Like

Considering there’s a difference between competitive and balanced competitive there is a difference.

You’re pretending unranked BGs are the World Series when it’s more like spring training.