Fix The Actual Reporting Problem: Remove/Nerf the Squelching System

No one is talking about spammers lol. We’re talking about people that make an advertisement, in the trade channel, getting flagged for spam because they posted an ad once every five minutes and people are salty over seeing the word “boosting” in a legitimate non-spamming advertisement

4 Likes

So every 5 minutes you interrupt the chat to remind everybody how bad things were when bots were allowed to spam with impunity and then you wonder why you’re squelched?

1 Like

A five minute delay is not spam lol.

3 Likes

Why do the people complaining assume a human processing these complaints would be less harsh?

are we sure the few that were squelched were doing the 5 min wait?

Warned not to do it and did it anyway, deserved to be muted.

2 Likes

That’s not for you to decide. It’s for your realm mates to decide.

1 Like

Its probable that the squelch system was introduced to counter truly egregious and offensive chat of some sort. Im not just talking bad language and such, but the kind of thing I cant say here because I would be flagged, so just try and imagine what I’m hinting at.

WoW chat is not always very gentile or polite banter; sometimes truly obnoxious things can be said and Blizzard probably believes (not altogether wrongly) that they cant be there to watch what we all say and have to rely on an automated system to shut someone down so what they said can be checked.

Sure, it will now and then catch innocents in the net but I guess each person has to judge whether or not it balances out.

Honest question, are the people getting these automated reports posting on level 10s or below or on an actual character in the guild?

I don’t sit in trade but all boosting advertised that I glimpsed are unaffiliated, low level, or both.

Happy for spammers and boosters to get the hammer. Ggs all around.

2 Likes

Yikes that is a little extreme for an automatic punishment like can’t whisper WoW friends or use battlenet chats and a flat out ban on mail so you can’t send mail between your own characters like what?

2 Likes

Yeah it was so deserved that it was overturned. :clown_face:

Funny how you use the term “muted”. Trying to gaslight the actual effects of a squelch?

Yup, a group of other players can effectively shut down a very large portion of the game for others.

2 Likes

It was a dumb idea to allow your player base to have this kind of power over another. It was just a way for them too offload the work that would have been done by an actually GM at the time and not the next day. If the system remains, then there needs to be a punishment applied for people who continue to misuse it. You get a couple of warning about why your report was incorrect and then you start to get days offs if you continue to misuse the system.

This way those who honestly make a mistake are informed about why they were wrong and those that just continue to abuse it will be dealt with for their disruptive behavior.

So, then they just move their crap to another channel instead?

No.

The squelch system is fine, those that haven’t done anything wrong won’t get any penalties applied to their account, they’ll just be unable to chat for a short while until a GM reviews what was reported.

It’s not the end of the world.

Did you not read the list of effects that I linked in OP? To say “just be unable to chat” is very disingenuous.

2 Likes

1 Like

Not only should the squelching system not be removed, anyone silenced by it for boost spam should be permanently banned from the game.

1 Like

So the players getting squelched because of salty players reporting their groups because they weren’t invited for fallen charger kills did something wrong? The problem with an automated system like this is when you put the ability to punish players into other players hands they will abuse it and the squelch has been abused by players.

People who have done nothing against the ToS should not have to appeal their unfair punishment after 24 hours especially when the punishment shuts most of the game down for them.

1 Like

Okay? And again, taking the squelch away creates a worse problem.

There’s no ‘win’ here. Either the occasional innocent gets inconvenienced until a GM can restore their accounts and then take action against the false reporters (which yes, is something you can be banned for) OR we get actual guilty people being allowed to spam to their hearts content until a GM can personally intervene, which at a minimum is going to be several hours.

I’d rather see guilty people get impacted immediately and stopped, even if that means Ingrid the Innocent gets hit with a squelch because some people were morons.

So…you ignored one of the two possible solutions then? Got it. I see you’re still the same as always, so back on ignore you go.

1 Like