Five app crashes in an hour

Howdy,
Long time lurker and generally pretty self sufficient. After the changes today I have had five app crashes in the last hour doing a variety of seemingly normal tasks.

1. Mount and spin around quickly outside of town.
  2. After landing from an intra zone flight in Stormsong.
  3. Opening a bag to see where something I looted landed.
  4. Mounting up and start moving up from a flight master.
  5. Clicking on a flight master then hitting M to open a map.

None of these are normally caused even a flicker in my iMac client. The game settings are unchanged for the last several months.

I disabled my add ons, deleted and updated them also. Just in case that might have something to do it between crash 1 and 2.

In a possibly unrelated issue, when I was in Nazmir the ground objects like grasses and such were flickering in and out while moving. Seemingly more so when there was shade being tracked on top of the ground clutter.

Hey, Kreacher! What’s the OS version that you’re currently on? (ie: 10.14.3)

Hey,

I am running 10.14.3

Thank you, Kreacher! Based on the crash reports, we’re seeing a driver issue causing crashes for those on Mojave currently. Our Quality assurance team are aware of the issue and working on this with Apple. It looks like the driver issue should be addressed in a future OS update.

For the moment, we haven’t found a workaround on the issue yet, but I’ll update if we find any solid workaround or if this may be resolved soon!

Were you in a specific zone when all 5 of those crashes occurred?

1 Like

Stormsong and Nazmir thus far

don’t worry Kreacher, it crashes in about every BFA area I have visited, I use a 2013 iMac with Nvdia 780m that never had stability issues like this.

edit :crashed just logging into Orgrimmar with a Ztrollie

thank goodness we are past the chat interface spam

Hey Kreacher,

It looks like the crashes submitted from your account are linked to a drivers crash issue. It looks like our QA department is working with Apple on this one. Hopefully it won’t be long on a fix.

Hey Kaldraydis,

Thanks for the update. I am sure Apple will drag their feet. LOL

I am also using a Mac 2013 with NVidia GeForce GTX780M. I have had multiple crashes in multiple zones and cities.

Same as Bitzsy - 780M 4gig gram late 2013 iMac running OS 10.14.3

I had one crash that was super gross that left persisting graphical issues once returned to the OS necessitating a restart.

Some crashes take a long time (30s to a minute sometimes longer) and I think is the slow crashing of video driver as all graphics freeze, can’t tab out, or pull up force quit window even though I can hear proper audio still playing.

I’m not sure I’ve had a crash in combat yet. It seems to be most often shortly after a loading screen, but sometimes just walking through Boralus (or another zone), or just logging in.

Kaldraydis,

Any updates?

Kreacher,

Because of the way drivers are updated on Mac OS, the fix will need to come with a future Mac OS update. They think they have it fixed in 10.14.4 You can test on the beta for 10.14.4 if you’d like, but keep in mind this is unsupported and may introduce other issues. That said, I would recommend that you wait for the stable public build of 10.14.4. Let us know if it isn’t fixed once that build comes out.

1 Like

Just applied new update from Apple (10.14.4) and still having issues.

Mojave 10.14.4. iMac 27", Late 2012, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB.

Been getting these extended unresponsive moments in raids, dungeons, and even just turning a corner in Boralus. It seems to happen randomly and can last anywhere from 30 seconds to indefinitely. Sometimes it will catch up and resume. Other times it hangs the entire system and I have to force shut down. Been quite the problem, particularly in M+. I’ve tried turning the graphics all the way down to 3, but it makes no difference. Was running my graphics settings at max until 8.1.5.

Sorry for the delay but real world > gaming world. :slight_smile:

I performed some testing and here is what I came up with.

• Was able to play for 3 hours without a crash. That was an improvement.
  • Ground clutter glitches still exist especially in zones like Nazmir.
  • Panning the camera around the character causes occasional video stuttering.
  • The war table on the alliance side in Boralis, lost the skin and showed up as a white table until the UI was reloaded. [NEW]

But on the bright side, I was able to complete a Darkshore scenario without crashing for the first time in weeks. So that was good. I will try some instances and maybe a pick up raid. I will report back if something not previously disclosed occurs.

@Rynn, it sounds like the issue is related to this thread. 10.14.4 has had some reports over freezing or stuttering issues.

@Kreacher, thanks for the update! I’m glad to hear the crashing issue appears to have stopped! Do let us know if any instances or scenarios causes a crash.

We expect some stuttering or freezing issues on 10.14.4 based on the reports in the thread linked above. It’s still unclear to what the issue is and no work arounds have been found, yet.

Hello!

I’ve had 10.14.4 for a few days now and while I’m not experiencing the crashes any more I am still experiencing the ground clutter flashing issue, and the map and flight master issue, and the stalling while alt tabbing issue - additionally a new issue has appeared where my game (only the game window not the computer) will randomly lock up and my screen will become bright yellow and choppy. it appears to be related to the mentioned graphic/ driver issue - have we found any work around yet?

I’ve started wondering if your new issue (I’ve been having for a while) is related to corruption of assets in vram or something.

I usually just exit the game and reload, but didn’t lat night (it was doing it a lot repeatedly). It finally froze all video output like maybe the drivers were stuck in a constant state of crashing. Eventually display sleep kicked in and main monitor turned off. Waited some time later I think for second which is really odd. Once I logged back in there were still some oddities so I ended up doing a proper system logout / login did a wow repair along with cache deletion and it was better for most of the night until it bonked in an arena of all places…

@Caterpepi,

I did some more testing and still have not had a crash but have definitely seen some different things that are going to be a little bit difficult to describe.

While flying into a locations flight master, I opened a map, Upon doing so caused the map to start flickering, the ground clutter start flickering out of sync with the map. Then I closed the map and reopened it and the entire world went black with on hostile name plates showing up in red as I was flying over them.

Occasionally I have also been getting some kind of rotating vectored lines showing up. Maybe 15 to 20 of them on the visible screen and all rotating in sync.

Progress.

Thanks for your reports everyone! The initial crashing issue was resolved with the 10.14.4 update. If you’re running into these crashes, please update the OS to 10.14.4.

As for the flickering issue and lock ups described with each of the reports, we are tracking the reports on this thread. Unfortunately, we’re still waiting for more information on the issue with 10.14.4, but it may be a driver related issue since we’re seeing a lot of reports with Nvidia systems. This is not definite cause as we’ve seen reports with AMD and Intel systems as well, but we are tracking reports on the thread provided.

I’m going to lock this thread since the crashing issue due to the 10.14.3 compatibility issue is resolved by updating to 10.14.4 and this thread is starting to merge with the 10.14.4 issues that we’re currently tracking on a separate thread.

Thanks again for your reports, it’s appreciated and hopefully we’ll have more information on the thread linked above :slight_smile: