Fishing - what am I doing wrong?

I have another noob question, I have a fishing pole and I’ve been trained in the profession I can’t put a line in the water. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

To fish in wow, you have to have the fishing ability on your bar in order to use. You can find this in your spell book under professions. You go up to a viable body of water (usually big bodies of water and ponds) and you click the fishing ability button. After you do that, wait for your bobber to shake back and forth and if you have sound on it will make a noticeable “SPLASH” noise. You then right click the bobber and loot your fish!

It may be the specific spot you’re located at. Is it saying “water too shallow” or “couldn’t find a body of water” something akin to that?

Its not saying anything. When I click on the fishing pole, nothing happens.

Oh you don’t click on the fishing pole, you have a fishing ability in your spell book that you have to use.

The fishing pole is just for putting on bobbers if you have those or increasing fishing skill.

Here’s a video explaining it:

Thank you that helps alot.

1 Like

Hey np! =) Happy fishing!

Just to round out the topic a bit…

The fishing ability is under the professions tab.

You don’t really need a pole but most poles will have some sort of increase in fishing skills buff.
Depending upon what zone you are in, you may not have a Hugh enough skill level to catch fish so a buff can be useful. You do get skill-up points for catching junk though.

When fishing out in the wild, I will usually not equip a pole if there is a chance I may get jumped. I’d rather keep my weapons equipped.

Fishing in major cities or the Darkmoon faire does not give skill up points.

Fishing from a pool is always a guaranteed catch regardless of your skill level.

The addon “Fishing Buddy” is useful. If you have it and equip a fishing pole all you need to do to cast is double-click the water.

Fishing is perhaps the biggest source of mats to level cooking and cooking leads to producing food that can increase you stats as well as being eaten to restore health.

3 Likes

Wait, is this new? I’ve used these areas to level fishing in the past. (I’m pretty sure I’ve used Darkmoon Isle as recently as the start of Shadowlands and the cities in BfA — and maybe early Shadowlands.)

1 Like

Yeah it’s new since earlier this year for both the DMF and the major cities.

I used to level fishing at the DMF on my trial account characters to catch the 100 fish needed to get the quest for 100 DMF tokens to trade in for heirlooms. Had a lot of toons with high fishing skill just from the DMF.

If you do the city fishing dailies, you’ll notice that you still get a skill up for completing the daily but any fish you catch within the city for a given daily will bot count towards level 1-300 skill ups.

1 Like

Also, you have to learn the fishing profession from a fishing trainer in order to get the skill to show up in your professions tab. Fishing trainers

Since Shadowlands, fishing in capital cities and Darkmoon Faire does give skill points- but not in vanilla fishing. It awards points in Shadowlands fishing but the catch is you have to have Shadowlands fishing learned. So until you can get to a Shadowlands fishing trainer you will receive no skill ups in those areas, but afterwards you can skill SL fishing to your heart’s content. I 'd have thought this would’ve been corrected by now, but perhaps it’s “working as intended” for some reason I can’t fathom.
[edit: missed a word]

2 Likes

are the legion fishing achievements that arent listed in achievements still possible? Like “Bigger Fish to Fry”?

When achievements are progressive (for example “A Cast Above” is done before “Bigger Fish to Fry”) you’ll only see the one you’re currently working on in the achievements pane. The next one will show up when you complete the first.

Generally, if an achievement is no longer obtainable, it becomes a Feat of Strength. (Which you should be able to see if you look it up on WoWhead.)