Fishing sounds

Two things related to fishing sounds:

When the Sounds folder was removed from the client in 8.2 (June 2019 - over two years ago), people complained that players lost the ability to change/mute sounds that were annoying or otherwise difficult. Devs (I want to say possibly Ion) mentioned coming up with a solution for that. Over two years later, we’re still waiting.

This is particularly annoying for people who have difficulties fishing with the default bobber noises.

This problem was made worse, when devs ALSO managed to break other players’ bobber sounds. For years, you heard everyone’s bobber, which was always annoying. Then came the happy day they FINALLY changed it to just hearing your own. Around a year or so ago, that change was broken, and we were back to hearing everyone’s bobbers.

I used to enjoy fishing, and now I hate it.

While it would be wonderful to change any annoying sound, can you PLEASE at least put in a fix (or addon hook) that will at least allow players to change their bobber sound files?
This isn’t just personal preference, it’s very much an accessibility thing for the vision/hearing impaired), which is made worse by the fact that you can hear EVERYONE’s bobbers.

Thanks.

5 Likes

Try the MuteSoundFile addon from Curseforge. I use it and it works nicely.

I don’t think it will help you replace a sound with a new sound though.

That will mute MY fishing sounds, too.

1 Like

Oh, I misread. My apologies.

That said, I’m don’t remember hearing other people’s bobbers recently.
I admit it may have been a couple months since I’ve fished alongside someone, but I still have to wonder if maybe its a mod of yours, since you said a year ago it broke for you.

I also hear other peoples fishing sounds (no mods).

2 Likes

I use FishingBuddy and turn up the fishing sounds. It makes my own bobber sound significantly louder that other peoples bobbers.

I’m 97% deaf in one ear (so only hear vibrations from bass if I press headphones into that ear) and the one I can hear out of is ok but not 100% ofc and Iv quit fishing for anything others fish for like legion rep and mount drops where others are cause I miss click so often it’s just a waste of time if anyone is near. I really miss when they finally fixed it for that short time. Oh and still not fixed almost a year and a half after OP’s post sigh…

2 Likes

Gonna try that and see if it helps for me, Thank you.

K so tested it out and with being deaf in one ear and not 100% in the other I still have a hard time telling the difference in the bobber sound when I’m say listening to music or watching something while fishing near others. Just hope they feel the need to drop all the bs out of game sugar honey iced tea and get back to making the game worth a damn to play again.

1 Like