Fire mage soloing 2s

You guys didn’t bubble the combust I take it?

Game is broken but if you got 1v2ed tou almost definitely got outplayed

3 Likes

I saw Xaryu’s recent 1v2 video, and his burst is just insane.

You get overconfident, slip up, and you get blown up while your partner is stuck in a CC.

Then, he resets the fight, heals up, and does the same thing again, except now he doesn’t have to worry about CCing another player.

Yeah I think fire mage can pull some pretty gimmicky 1v2s depending on spec as long as they’re spec’d into gpie. If the OP got 1v2’d in a legit 2s game after he and his partner killed the mage’s partner but then the mage got the kill with a lot of their CDs down & reset, I could 100% empathize. It can be a little goofy.

On the other hand if it was a 1v2 out of the gates I do think that double ret should just annihilate fire mage. I can’t think of almost any 1v2 that the 1 player should win even a marginal amount of the time (i.e. 30-40%) if it’s 1v2 out of the gates.

The fact that there even needs to be discussion about what the rets did right or wrong is a testament to the state of the game. Even with moderate mistakes, the fact that the 1v2 was accomplished is stupid. Especially when, despite some classes obviously having advantages over the others, a 1v1 shouldn’t be out of the question. Far much less a 1v2.

There’s no logic in defending it. Some classes (mage, lock, rogue) are just so beyond overtuned it’s insanity.

3 Likes

Nzot really mages have been 1v2 2s since arena was prepatch implemented in vanilla. There isnt a better class for 1v2 . Period.

Only poor playersget 1v2d. Does that mean things need to change?

1 Like

No one should lose 1v2 in this game lol. Unless they dont have a pulse or are fresh alts. They were equally geared one ret more so than the mage and lost. They’re bad it’s pretty simple to figure out. I wouldnt have any sympathy for anyone getting 1v2d it should never happen but some people arent adept at pvp.

I’m hard pressed to believe that the rets didn’t:

Bubble
Trinket
Pop wings
Attack the mage

Save ice block, and the absolutely insane damage rets do with wings up, it should have been a non issue.

Opener: Sheep’s a ret—>Trinket. Sheep/RoF DR now in effect for 20 seconds. DB is a 3 second disorient. DR sheep lasts 4 seconds. (Both of these require a global from the mage as well).

ALL of this ignored by bubble mind you, which I am hard pressed to believe the rets didn’t use.

If the mage is able to kill them both assuming they actually pressed any defensives, it is again a testament to the state of the game.

1 Like

It’s literally not. Mage can do this in every single expansion. Especially at what’s presumably low CR.

There isn’t a single expansion where using your CD’s badly vs a mage who’s at least mildly competent won’t get you killed as 2 dps, or even dps healer.

Ret of all classes is the worst 1v1 vs mage of any melee. It’s not hard to believe this story at all.

Mages have always, always been capable of 1v2ing apes.

I feel pretty confident saying they didnt do much of anything that match seeing as how they lost 1v2 lol. If they were undergeared sure but no excuse for them being equally as geared and losing still. Asking what they did wont help either as they probably have no idea I’m guessing they accidentally hit the pvp tab instead of their normal heroic dungeon spamming or something.

2 Likes

You act as though the fact that they were capable of this beyond bfa somehow makes this better?

1 Like

It’s not about being better. They’re just the go-to 2v1 class. It’s not bad game design that noobs lose to mages 2v1. You shouldn’t just automatically be able to remove your brain and do whatever you want because it’s a 2 on one situation.

Other classes have success with more effort than mages 2v1. Mages are just the safest choice.

2v1 happening doesn’t mean the game is bad. It means the players are bad in 99% of the cases. If a mage is soloing to 2k+ it’s more likely that we have a problem.

“The go to 1v2 class.” I mean this statement says it all really. But that aside, the notoriety of mages, locks, and rogues throughout the history of PvP is proven.

And as far as skill goes, I think the margins need to be much further off than they were in this case. Same ilevel, an assumed base understanding of their class, and the nature of rets burst and massive short term defensives.

Now, the assumed status of their skill is obviously the arbitrary portion of this, but as I stated, they likely utilized what they could to pursue the mage. Like if one of them died without bubbling, or sat a full sheep without trinketing, that would be a different story. Id love to see the clip of the game, but all we can go off of is word of mouth.

Fire is just beyond broken, and it doesn’t surprise me for any reason beyond this fact. This isn’t me just ranting off about fire or wanting it removed, but corruptions broke it. They’re overtuned, along with locks and rogues, and it’s just agreed upon by anyone that isn’t one of those classes or in denial.

3 Likes

Git gud situation

3 Likes

From where? Lol. Why are you assuming two rets who lost to a single mage had any baseline understanding of their classes.

I would too. but OP hasn’t really spoke up to even give a clue as to what transpired as far as I can tell.

I just want to be clear I"m not defending the state of the game or fire. I’m saying it’s absolutely 1000% normal for unthinking melee to be lured around like animals vs a mage with half a brain.

I mean, are you saying that numbers are the only thing that should ever matter in pvp? That 1v2 should literally never happen regardless of how good or bad the people with the numbers advantage play?

1v2s should definitely happen but I feel like it should be more closely tied to a gear discrepancy. Like okay, we both want to see the video. If these rets were actually so terrible that they just wasted every cd and played abysmally then sure.

I guess I am both playing devil’s advocate and giving them the benefit of the doubt here. Without the clip, it’s impossible to say. But I am sure that the current state of fire played a massive role in this, alongside the mage perhaps just being tiers better than the rets.

I guess what I am getting at, is there is a good chance these rets would have slammed near any other class save a mage. And while I can appreciate that mage does pull off 1v2’s the best due to the nature of their kit, I also feel like their kit is too far above other classes save rogue and lock.

1 Like

I will concede that I did just look at his profile. While games played doesn’t=skill, I would hope that in over 200 games played, beyond the basics would have been learned.

1 Like

to get better so next time you wont get solo’d in a situation you should 100% win

or to complain on the forums :man_shrugging:

1 Like

sometimes it be like that, but sometimes it dont

I soloed double destro on my BM hunter early in 8.3.
I had better gear than them but they were still sitting around 500k hp.

It happens sometimes.